Options

Floor rebuild Azdel/foam floor on T@B400

While passing through Ohio on a cross country trip this summer I had a bunch of service and repair done on my 2019 T@B400 at the nuCamp service center. This post is about a soft Azdel & foam floor in my T@B.

When my T@B was 2 1/2 years old I noticed soft spots in my floor, one such spot the floor gave way a little creating a noticeable divot. I temporarily taped a thin piece of plywood to the underside of a rug runner and placed it over the floor "divot" to provide support. The floor has a 3 year warranty. nuCamp did a floor rebuild last may, during this trip, in this case removing the floor material in the traffic area (not under the cabinet or shower) and replacing it with a better material. The extra benefit to me was I got to switch floor covering to a color and style I like.

A promotional video nuCamp made for the new service center includes a technician working on the background doing this extract work. It's a known issue.

BTW, I'm a full-timer, I've being living in my T@B since 2019. I give nuCamp credit for doing warranty work on my T@B. Their T&Cs say they don't warranty campers used full time.

2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    Thank you for bringing this to the Forum’s attention. It is very helpful for others who have had/or may have the same problem.
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I have a 2020 320BDL (built 2019). I started to notice spots where I could feel the ribs shown in the pic above and had low spots clearly visible using a straightedge. I was in for service recently and pointed this out to my dealer, who took some pics to send to nuCamp. The response was that even though my 320 is MY 2020, a build date of 2019 puts it beyond the structural warranty period.

He also said that on many of these floor rebuilds, nuCamp is reverting to using luan, which is sturdier, but you lose the anti-rot and (somewhat) insulating properties of Azdel. He has had success in a couple of instances installing a floating floor over the existing open floor space. This preserves the integrity of the existing floor, does not require all the lower cabinetry to be ripped out and is far less expensive than having nuCamp replace the floor out of warranty. I haven't decided yet if I'm going this route, but it is an interesting alternative.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @Travelin3D - I think several owners of 320s had soft areas and installed flooring over the top.  If I had a choice, I would not add wood to the flooring either.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2023

My recollection of my earlier conversations with nuCamp Service Center staff and, more obviously, from the image above of the floor repair, the new floor section's material is not a wood product. Only the accessible sections of the floor are "rebuilt". The cabinets and seats are not removed, they are loosened and raised about an inch as you can see in the image.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2023
    The issue on late 2018 and early 2019 TaB floors was due to an Azdel shortage, and another composite material Greencore was used, which didn’t bond to the Lino flooring completely, causing soft spots as the Lino lifted off the composite layer under it.  Since removing all the cabinets is not really possible, they are built and placed in before the outside skin of the trailer is put on, and only the center exposed walk way is the issue.  The sink cabinet front (doors and cabinet shelves) is removed to get access under this area and the door frame.  

The repair involves removing the old flooring in this center area, including under the dinette, and installing a new Azdel floor layer over the floor, then a water barrier layer, followed by the new Lino flooring.  Once completed, you can not see the repair, only a new floor.  Since this issue was a factory issue, nüCamp is footing the bill the for repair on effected TaBs made without an Azdel subfloor layer under the Lino.

For more photos and info of the repair process, see https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/156835#Comment_156835
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    Mine was an Azdel floor with a foam core that started to collapse and was replaced with something stronger in the Rebuild. Factory representative told me it's happened to that floor construction in other T@Bs too.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2023
    OK, sounds like a better repair Jim.  Ours still has the original Greencore layer with a new Azdel panel glued down to it, which adds another layer to stiffen it up.  It has held up quite nicely, but again, we are not full time users either.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    patandjeffpatandjeff Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2023
    Anyone know what kind of materials being attached to the aluminum .in the above photo ?
    T@B 400 , Tundra