Options

Highlander 2022 Charging Voltage Drop

I have a 2022Toyota Highlander and have an annoying charging issue.  When I start the vehicle, the alternator provides 14.16 V which is more than sufficient for my T@B 2015 with an Isotherm 12V fridge.  After the car is warmed up the charging voltage drops to 12.36 volts  which leaves me at the end of the day with trailer batteries at 95%. Not the end of the world, but annoying none the less.  Does anyone know how to over-ride the "smart car" voltage drop?  
Toyota has not been of any help to date.
Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I have a 2022Toyota Highlander and have an annoying charging issue.  When I start the vehicle, the alternator provides 14.16 V which is more than sufficient for my T@B 2015 with an Isotherm 12V fridge.  After the car is warmed up the charging voltage drops to 12.36 volts  which leaves me at the end of the day with trailer batteries at 95%. Not the end of the world, but annoying none the less.  Does anyone know how to over-ride the "smart car" voltage drop?  
    Toyota has not been of any help to date.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    I think that the most common solution is to install a DC-DC charger. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    It was also suggested to turn on your headlights and that may boost the voltage on some vehicles.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi, 

They can not be overridden as they are controlled by the vehicles ECM.  They are designed to reduce the  voltage load of the vehicle and thus  mechanical load of the vehicle to increase gas mileage and lower emissions . I’m sure there is a hack to use of those OBD ECM devices.  As the other posted said, best if you want to charge your battery via your alternator is to use a DC DC charger. 
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    jebelhafitjebelhafit Member Posts: 16
    Many thanks for the info.
  • Options
    jebelhafitjebelhafit Member Posts: 16
    I Just returned from a brief 3-day camping trip and was able to outsmart the "smart" generator thanks to Sharon's advice. When the 2022 Highlander's headlights are on the charging voltage jumps from 12.3V to 13.5V which is more than enough to charge my trailer batteries to 100% as well are run the Isotherm fridge.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Good to know @jebelhafit.  I love a simple solution.  I drive with my headlights on all the time.  I got in the habit from parking in a dark garage at work.  I have read that there is about a 5% reduction in daytime crashes when you use your headlights.  Nice little added margin of safety.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    edited September 2023
    Turning on your headlights while towing also activates the trailer's running lights. More lights = greater visibility--always a good thing, but particularly warranted when driving with extra challenges such as towing a trailer. 
    Although I turn my lights on whenever I tow, unfortunately doing so does not bump up the output of the smart generator on a Nissan Frontier.
    2015 T@B S