Options

Suggestions to Cover 2023 Tab 400 A/C Grate

We have the above-named trailer which was purchased a few months ago and which we plan to take to Alaska in summer, 2024.  Our concern is with the positioning of the A/C grate on the side of the TT.  Having RV'd in Alaska in the past, we know how much mud splashes up and covers the entire bottom half of any RV on certain roads in Canada and Alaska.

We are thinking of making a cover (perhaps plexiglass) which can be screwed on when the mud starts up and we no longer need to use the A/C.  Has anyone done something like this?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TwonuCampersTwonuCampers Member Posts: 7
    I think your plexiglass solution is a solid approach. Its rigid, and fastened tight, should withstand travel. Consider the thickness when making a selection, i.e. too thin blows of, to thick may falloff.  Just my initial thoughts. Safe travels.
    2019 T@B 400
    Walker Tent
    2023 Chevy Silverado LTZ TV
  • Options
    MaAndPaMaAndPa Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your comments TwonuCampers.  I'm thinking the plexiglass will look okay and be weather resistant.  The challenge will be keeping water out (perhaps use rubber weather stripping) and of course securely attaching it (there are 14 screws holding the metal grate to the TT so maybe using some of these existing screws around the perimeter).  Anyway, the project is still in the drawing board stage!
  • Options
    Doug_EdwardsDoug_Edwards Member Posts: 4
    I had access to some scrap 1/4 inch Lexan and made a cover with that. I took off the snaps and used the holes for sheet metal screws. I carefully drilled holes in the center, top and bottom for two more screws for a total of six. I then put on some window, weather stripping to seal it around the perimeter. Looks and works great. 
    Doug

2022 400 Boondock
    2023 Tacoma TRD Sport

Western Maine
  • Options
    MaAndPaMaAndPa Member Posts: 9
    Doug, thanks for the comments and especially the photo (it helps to confirm what I had been planning).  By the way, nuCamp eliminated the fabric cover and the snaps on the metal frame on the 2023 400!
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Another option is to pickup some aluminum L-bracket and corrugated plastic display board from a big box store. Take off the clip screws if you have them and screw the L-bracket directly to the existing ledge on top front and bottom. It should leave a small gap. Slide in the plastic sheet making sure it has a friction fit and you are done. It keeps the water out even when you are towing. I painted the L-bracket white to match the AC frame.   
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat