Options

TAB400 freshwater tank repair

I was filling water for a trip and something went wrong.  I kept hearing creaking noises coming from the trailer.  I assumed this was just the unit settling on the suspension from the increased weight.  then the noise became louder and constant.  I went in the trailer and found the floor bulged, I looked under the trailer and bottom was bulged.  no water was leaking anywhere and the overflow never opened.  I turned off the water hose and disconnected it and while I was looking at it trying to figure out what the heck was happening the overflow suddenly opened and water came pouring out.    I opened up the outside shower and turned on the pump.  I've only pumped about 1/3 of the water out and that's all I can pump out, it acted liked and sounded like it was dry. the frame that holds the tank is broken.  I'm not convinced the frame broke during this episode because I never heard metal break.  

the tank never ruptured, just bulged.  I don't know how the water intake is connected, maybe I pulled away.  Does anyone know?  Even if I take it into a shop I've got to get the water out to travel down the road.

Has anyone replaced a fresh water tank or any of its framing or supports?  I'm not sure if this is a repair I can make myself.

Is there a check valve that seized up on the overflow valve or did something crawl in there and make an obstruction?

sorry for the sideways pic.  this is the top of the tank.  looks like it was glued to the wood and was pulled away when the tank bulged.

plastic popped off from the bulge, I did pull it down some more to see what was going on.  This is as far as the water will pump down, you can see the level in the white plastic.

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    Woah, crazy! Somebody either here or on the Nucamp FB had a similar issue but I don’t know what they found as the cause. I can’t imagine the overflow becoming obstructed by mud daubers but maybe? That’s a ton of pressure. As far as I know the overflow is just an open tube without a check valve but I’m not 100% sure. If there is a check valve and it failed then that would explain it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited September 2023
    This event sounded familiar.  The overflow was obstructed.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11129/dont-let-this-happen-to-you-blocked-fresh-water-tank-overflow-with-nautilus-system

It sounds like your pump lost prime.  Try closing all the faucets, then try the pump.  You may need to prime the pump by attaching a short hose to the Nautilus intake and fill it with water then blow into it will the pump is running.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Arkansas_GaryArkansas_Gary Member Posts: 14
    I read the thread.  Thanks.  I like his approach to guarding the outlets.  After I get this repair done I’ll do this.  I have mud dabbers around.  It was probably them.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    Whoa is right!  From the description it certainly sounds like there was an obstruction in the overflow.  I read the post Sharon linked when it first came out and made me a bit paranoid.  We don't have mud daubers here but when I fill the tank I always make sure I can feel air coming out of the overflow.  I also have used a piece of wire to push up it to just double check.  Before next summer I'll be putting some screen over it. 

I hope the repair is not too terrible.  I'd contact NuCamp and get some information on how the tank is hung and hopefully you can tackle it yourself.  Also I wonder if the tube the pump uses to pull water out remained in place and when the tank dropped the tube is now above the water line and simply not able to pump out the remainder of the water.  What about just opening the tank drain valve?  That should remove most of the water.  Maybe elevate the door side of the trailer to get more water in the direction of the drain.  

Please let us know what is involved in this repair and how it goes.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Still working on it. Here’s an update.  All this damage was done by water at 45 psi.  That is the water pressure at the house, it’s kinda weak.  I measured it with a pressure gauge .  The Rv shops are booked out 5 weeks… I noticed that the subframe is under a black material that may be intended as a weather proof.  When the tank expanded and pushed upwards it pulled the subframe through the black layer.  See pictures.  I’m not going to be able to pull this off myself and I rebuild motorcycle suspension and do engine valve spacing checks myself.  This is a design flaw,  let me explain…when a force comes along which requires something breaking you design it strong on the expensive side you don’t want to break (everything above the area above the fresh water tank, including the floor.) and weak on the cheap side so it will break there.  In this case it broke both ways and I’ve been told by Nucamp that it’s not safe to drive on the road in its current state.  The yellow markups showed the black layer that it broke through.
  • Options
    Here’s the update.  It was just under a $10,000 repair because of damage to the frame of the unit.  Covered by insurance under comprehensive so I had a $250 deductible.  The fresh water tank itself was reused in the repair as it wasn’t damaged even though it flexed and bulged to cause the damage.  Remember the pressure was only 45 psi, within the pressure rating of the system.  Don’t own an expensive unit like this without comprehensive even if it is paid off!
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 70
    Yikes!  Glad you had comprehensive.  What is the year of your trailer?  Looking at purchasing a TAB and wondering if they changed anything on the '23s or '24s
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited February 22
    Hi, Glad you got it squared away.  Did NuCamp do the repair or did you get it repaired locally?

You post sparked my interest to check if I have comprehensive, which I do :) .  Never thought of that...just collision.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 23
    Yikes!  The power of water, which under pressure does not compress like air does.  The damage expanding water can do!  Whilst the input pressure was 45psi, the internal tank pressure seems like it was much higher, to cause this kind of damage.  

Gary must have a newer TaB400, with the Nautilus unit.  This setup has check valves on the water input, as do most in-line Rv pressure regulators, which keep the input pressure to 45psi.  However, the check valves, will prevent any back pressure relief on the water line, so the volume of water into the tank will continue until reach equilibrium. 

The obstruction on the vent hose for the water must have been something very hard and stuck.  As the Nautilus unit injected water into the water tank, without a working vent, the pressure built up inside the water tank, and it expanded as more water was pumped into it, until it reached the inout,water pressure, stopping the flow.  A tank rated at 45-50psi would not expand at its rated pressure.

if 45psi is the input pressure, and once the tank pressure reaches the input pressure, water should stop filling the tank.  So, what we are left with, is the water tank that is not rated for 45psi (even though the rest of water system is rated for pressure), but is a gravity fill rated tank, probably the same one used on the pre-Nautilus units, and not rated for any pressure greater than that created by a full water tank without any additional external pressure caused by a closed pressure fill system, used by the Nautilus system.  

Under normal working circumstances, the gravity, non pressure rated water tank with a vent should work fine, as long as the vent is clear.  Another plus for the older, gravity fill only system used before the Nautilus.  You could only overflow the tank and get water squirted back at you from water coming back out the fill port.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    45psi is 45 pounds per square inch. Multiply the area of the top of the tank in square inches by 45 to get the total pressure. It's a bigger number than you think.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    It’s a 2021 tab 400 boondock.  Fresh water tank isn’t designed to hold any pressure there is an overflow that vents to atmosphere.  This was clogged by a mud wasp in my case.  Insurance classified it as animal damage and covered it…Tank didn’t burst only changed shape and took the frame of the trailer with it.  This should be engineered with a weak point that breaks before the expensive parts break.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    Was the dealer able to fix it? This has happened to me and I've got an appointment with my dealer in five weeks. Thanks for your posts. I wonder how many this has happened to.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Another person sent me a DM about it.  So three of us at least.
  • Options
    Yes dealer was able to fix it.   Happened in October fixed in Feb🥲
  • Options
    There was frame welding involved.  Im handy but not handsome.  I work on my own equip motorcycles cars etc.  I could do this repair in my wildest dreams…frame work is another level.