Options

Freshwater tank still shows 1/3 full after winterization

When I brought my '23 T@B 400 home, the freshwater tank showed 1/3 full, which I assumed was for demonstration purposes in the walkthrough. Last week I winterized and dutifully followed all the written instructions and watched the nuCamp video multiple times for the process. I had no obvious problems. However, the control panel still shows the freshwater tank as being 1/3 full. Am I missing something obvious?
2023 T@B 400 Boondock, 2022 Toyota 4Runner SR5, various telescopes

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Tank monitors on any RV throughout history have always been fairly wild guesses rather than "measurements."

The monitors in your trailer (and installed for the last few years) are the "KIB" system. The thread below has some discussion about the KIB monitors from back in 2018, and there are a couple of pictures and diagrams that will show how they basically work.

Here are the other threads that talk about the accuracy.  One owner (the thread is somewhere) had to rewire some of his monitor wiring at the tank.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 87
    If I understand what you are saying, you need to drain the freshwater tank via a manual drain valve under the camper.  It may be labeled as such.  On my 2021 it's  behind the driver side wheel.

The winterizing process using the Nautilus requires the Nautilus valves be in the "winterizing" position.  If you did that, the process won't pull from the freshwater tank at all. 

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA

• Options
    new2nunew2nu Member Posts: 28
    Regarding draining the freshwater tank, yes indeed I did that with the manual valve. It's behind the driver side wheel on my '23 too.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    We have the 2019 400 and the KIB monitor lites are pretty finicky. If you did a manual drain, there is nothing to freeze. I found that on mine a couple of fill and drains has restored normal operations, but it is not really necessary since when you fill up next year the trailer motion will slosh enough to wash the sensors. If that doesn’t work then more will be required.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I winterized our 2023 320 s and checked the panel today. Just bottom"Low" LED lighting, as I'd expect. Any chance the tank wasn't venting when you drained it?
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    new2nunew2nu Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2023
    @bjn2 I watched it drain. However, I haven't seen anything in the winterizing instructions about venting. What would that entail?
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    @new2nu the water tank should be vented without doing anything at all, but I read some posts where insects had nested in vent tubes. Folks have reported the water tank expanding when that happened. An obstruction in the vent tube (a Pex pipe sticking out below the trailer) could potentially interfere with draining the tank. 

Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    The owner with the obstructed fresh water tank was able to drain the tank.  Although, I am not sure of how completely it drained.
    You may want to clean the vent, just in case.  See thread with pics here:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11129/dont-let-this-happen-to-you-blocked-fresh-water-tank-overflow-with-nautilus-system#latest
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DroidDroid Member Posts: 4
    I also found the level monitor too vague and did not trust that it was accurate. So I had a new system installed that measure with a strip on the tank to give a percentage value. It gives me a peace of mind to know a little better the fullness of the tanks.2018 400
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Droid said:
    . . . had a new system installed that measure with a strip on the tank to give a percentage value.

Well done.
    Does "had" system installed mean you found a technician willing to do the project or was it DIY?

I really like the SeeLevel tank monitors (factory installed for my yr-2018 320S) and was disappointed when nüCamp switched to the known poor performance KIB units.

As a newer TaB might be in my RV future I investigated doing the tank monitor upgrade DIY.
        We have access to all the tanks for the sensor strips and it appears the KIB wiring between the
        sensor location and display panel can be used.  So real issue is the mounting of the SeeLevel display.

I do wish there was a way we consumers could influence builders to use quality sub-systems in
        their products.  While nüCamp does far better than most RV Builders on trailer itself build
        materials and craftsmanship they unfortunately seem inclined to select more lower quality
        sub-systems as their product lines mature.  Or make design choices that reduce the oriignal
        trailer's usefulness - - primarily reducing storage space with the ducted Air8 AC for example.

It is possible to now purchase a 320S with only rear cabinet storage as the front (over stove)
        cabinets are smaller, the once huge under passenger side rear seat space has the air8, and
        if the super solar/lithium package is purchased the passenger wheel well seat storage is gone.
        The older design window AC (instead of a microwave oven) and having all batteries outside,
        not in the cabin is far more useful IMHO

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DroidDroid Member Posts: 4
    Yes I did find a dealer to do the install, part of package of things I wanted added. Monitor, inverter w/ switch and 110 outlet along with tank heaters. 

I agree I would like to see new models offer upgrades like the new lithium package is being offered. Or maybe Nu camp could offer upgrade kits that either DIY’ers or dealers could 
    Install. I think you sparked some great ideas!
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    How level is your camper? Even if it’s slightly to one side you can get false readings. I believe the sensors are on the driver side so if the camper is leaning to that side the water level is higher on that side…but the drain is also on that side so it theoretically should be empty.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road