Options

4 pin TV adapter to 7 pin Trailer?

I have a Tacoma that I would like to use for an occasional short trip. It only had a 4 pin connector for utility trailers for taillights. I realize I need 7 pin for operation of the trailer brakes and to charge the RV battery while traveling, but is there an adapter so I can connect the two and have the taillights?

I’ve seen adaptors that go the other direction (i.e., 4 pin trailer to 7 pin TV), but I don’t know if the wiring and pins is such that they would work being used in the opposite direction.

2023 T@B 320-S Boondock; 2019 Subaru Outback

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 615
    Search

Hopkins Towing Solutions 4 Flat to 7 Blade Adapter 47207

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited November 2023
    As you noted, without the extra wiring of a full 7 pin, you won’t have trailer brakes or trailer battery charging. In some states, it’s illegal to tow without working trailer brakes over a certain weight limit or if the trailer is equipped with them; your vehicle may also require it (owners manual should detail that). Failure to meet that criteria could enable insurance to deny any accident claims. Not worth it in my book, so I had a proper 7 pin installed on my tow vehicle.

That said, possibly some additional information here, with a whole bunch of links to similar questions that might lead to the right solution for you: https://www.etrailer.com/question-438496.html

Good luck! And please post if you find something that solves the problem, we’re always interested in options & alternatives around here.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    In most states if your trailer is equipped with brakes, they must be working. At etrailer.com you can get a 7 pin you can mount that has a pigtail that will plug into your four pin and you run an additional line up front to your battery.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    What year is the Tacoma and is yours a factory or dealer installed towing option? Depending upon the year and options, a seven pin connection is the norm. 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Check you local state's rules. For recreational trailers, each state makes their own rules. As the RV owner, you are responsible for following the rules for the state you are operating in. In most of the Midwest, recreational trailers greater that 4000lb require brakes. Most of the 48 contagious states don't require brakes on recreational trailers less then 3000lb. California and the New England states have the most restrictive rules in North America. Although, it is prudent to use trailer brakes if available and trailer brake use reduces wear on the TV. Never confuse legal vs prudent.

I think what SLJ meant is the rule: if the trailer has brakes, there has to be a system to automatically apply the brakes should the trailer become disconnected from the tow vehicle. You have that if you tow with the battery connected (ON).

The primary question, I found adapters at the local U-Haul. Used a 4 to 7 when I rented a Silver Shadow. When I bought a 320CS, the tow vehicle got a 7 pin plug. Now I have the other way around, 7 to 4 adapter, for renting U-Haul trailers.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    CandJBCandJB Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2023
    @tabiphile- I have a 2004 Tacoma Extended Cab (prior to the 4 door cab). I actually still have the original window sticker from the dealer. Although it has a 2 inch receiver hitch and a 4 pin plug, there isn't an actual tow package listed anywhere. What I have is the way it came from the deal and I don't know if it's factory or dealer installed. It wasn't something I requested to be added.
    2023 T@B 320-S Boondock; 2019 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited December 2023
    @CandJB, You have a Gen 1 Taco. Hopefully it is not an auto. These did not come with transmission coolers. If you plan to tow with an auto Gen 1Taco you must add a cooler in addition to adding the 7 pin wiring for the brake controller. If you do that, be sure that you never tow in overdrive.
    To read more about this than you will ever want to know; https/www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-tacoma-towing-bible.4031/
    The Tacoma Towing Bible | Tacoma World