Options

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Flooring

I've seen a number of comments/issues regarding flooring softness and a window period where subflooring substitutes were inferior.  I'll be confirming if our build date was within this window in late 2017-early 2018 later today.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues for build dates after this window and if so, the nature of the issue(s) and related repair options/costs?

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    My 2018 was impacted by the subfloor substitution. I had it repaired last year.  But to be clear, the substituted subfloor did not cause soft spots in the floor.  It caused the vinyl flooring to bubble because the glue did not properly adhere.  If you are experiencing soft flooring (not bubbling) then it may not be the same issue.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Our 2019 has a build date of 10/2018 and so far no floor issues noted.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    CRBURKE1CRBURKE1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks XenanMe and qhumberd.....Our build date was 1/19 and it's not a bubbling issue.  Thank you for pointing out the difference.  Ours has a slight soft spot in front of the bed/stove section.  It's not present in the entry area, nor the section in front of the sink/bathroom area.  I'm 100% sure we've had no leaks/floods.  Also, I'm able to isolate the subfloor under the cabinets on both sides of the this section and they appear to completely dry/normal solid, etc...  Just not sure if it's normal wear and tear after 340 nights of occupancy over 3+ years or something needing serious repair.  Our dealer is no longer carrying NuCamp and we are several hundred miles from other dealers, so hoping the wisdom of fellow owners will guide me.   
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @CRBURKE1 - you may well have Azdel under the vinyl of your floor which can contribute to a spongy feel that other owners have noted.

Here is a flooring timeline.  From lower to upper layers, the floor consisted of:  

Dutchmen era - vapor barrier (VB), plywood, vinyl.

Early 2016 models - VB, Miranti/luan, aluminum framing with shot block insulation, Miranti/luan, vinyl.

Late 2016 models - VB, Azdel, aluminum framing with block insulation, Azdel, vinyl.

Azdel continued to be used until the Azdel 2017 supply issue .

Mid 2018 model year  - VB, Greencore, aluminum framing with shot block, Greencore, vinyl. 

Greencore used in TaB 320 and 400 production 11/1/17 - 1/31/18 due to Azdel shortage.https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8937/underlayment-in-t-b-320-t-b-400#latest

Found that the Greencore did not adhere well to the vinyl top layer (delamination).  nuCamp then returned to the top layer with Azdel until they addressed the soft floor issue.  (?February 2018 thru sometime in 2020)

2021 model year - Sometime in 2020, to address the soft floor issue, nuCamp changed to the following layers:  VB, Greencore, aluminum framing with block insulation, 2 layers of luan, vinyl.

(Of note, we don't have an exact date of when this flooring update was implemented.  As nuCamp has often made changes midway through a model year, it is possible that some of the early 2021 model TaBs still had Azdel as part of the top layer.)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CRBURKE1CRBURKE1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Sharon….very very helpful in understanding the history.  Do you have any information on replacing the Azdel layer relative to cost or if just getting comfortable with a soft feel is safe….i.e , don’t have to worry about “falling” through the floor, etc.  Ongoing thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I would email nuCamp.  Inquire about warranty coverage first:  warranty@nucamprv.com.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/202045#Comment_202045
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    I believe the 2021 model year has two layers of plywood, not luan. The reason I think this is the case is that when I’ve pierced the vinyl flooring with a needle to inject glue underneath the vinyl to get rid of the constant bubbling in my floor, I’ve occasionally hit the subfloor and clogged the needle with strands of wood fibers…much like plywood or osb. I’ve also read the flooring is plywood from another source as well.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    nuCamp has called it luan which is frequently used as a generic term for a hardwood plywood.  I believe it is a plywood.  
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,199
    Actually maybe we’re both right. Isn’t Luan a type of tree? I guess it’s still a plywood either way.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    My build date was 5/2018 and have experienced no problems with the flooring. However, a friend with the same build month and a serial number a few units off  from mine (last digit of VIN) did have their floor replaced under their extended goodwill warranty in their year 3 of ownership. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I have 2019 400 where the Azdel floor got soft. nuCamp did a floor rebuild under the 3 year floor warranty. See my post here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17531/floor-rebuild-azdel-foam-floor-on-t-b400#latest
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019