Loose foam insulation behind upper refrigerator vent

I have a loose piece of foam insulation inside the upper side vent on my new-to-me 2017 T@B 320 S (build date 3/17). It's actually two pieces of foam taped together at 90 deg. It was sitting on the fins when my BIL showed it to me but I don't know if that was where it was when he opened that vent to look around. We tried moving it around to see if a logical fit would happen but it didn't. I had previously tested the fridge under both gas and electric and it held its temperature for several days in each mode. So I don't know it that foam piece fell when I moved it to there for storage. Any idea where this foam assembly should go? I tried to take photos but they didn't really show anything except the side of the stove or the fins on the side of the fridge.
Mary Lou, Grand Rapids MI / 2017 T@B 320-S / 2015 Chevy Equinox w/ trailer package

Comments

• mlk51mlk51 Member Posts: 11
    I should have said that the foam part I'm talking about consists of two pieces ~6" x 24" (from eyeball & memory not measurements) and taped together along one long side.
    Mary Lou, Grand Rapids MI / 2017 T@B 320-S / 2015 Chevy Equinox w/ trailer package
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,835
    Are you looking at the insulation from the outside by looking through the vent?  There are a couple of different photos and descriptions of what things look like inside the fridge compartment under the stove.  It would be possible to get to the insulation by taking the vent off, but it may be easier to get to it by lifting up the stove. (Not hard).
    Pictures in the thread below that describe installation of fans in the vents to improve air flow in that area. 
    What exact fridge model is it?
    There are some more photos here, but of an earlier trailer. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,668
    You may want to look at this recall notice.  IIRC there was a lot of discussion regarding insulation falling.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3784/expanded-recall-of-t-b-320s-from-1-1-2013-to-8-31-2016-for-3-way-refrigerators/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,357
    @mlk51, the below photos are the refrigerator cabinet in my 2019 320 S (built in 2018), but it sounds like it is the same as your 2017.  The foil covered foam appears to have been placed there as an air baffle.  The first photo shows how the foam is configured for the Norcold Model N180.3x refrigerator (assuming you have the same type of installation.)  

It is not clear if you are saying that the foam is completely loose.  However, when in place, the taller vertical foam is secured to the floor with a small length of wood block (at the base, out of view), with wood screws and glue.  When I removed those two foam pieces to install a 2-way Isotherm refrigerator, I discovered that there was a wood screw sticking up through the trailer floor and penetrating the strip of wood at the base of the vertical foil covered foam.  Also, there were two or three pocket screws that were inserted through the top of the wood strip (again, at the base out of view.)  Glue was then applied around the base of the wood strip.  The second photo with a red arrow shows where the screws are generally located.  It was difficult to remove the pocket screws, because there is little room to access them.  I ultimately ripped out the foam (I did not need it) and removed the screws.

I do not recall exactly how the horizontal piece of foil covered foam was attached to the vertical piece, but it was likely taped and/or glued in place, and possibly had one or two screws to provide some additional support to the vertical piece.

When you look through the upper exterior vent, the horizontal piece of foil covered foam is visible (third photo), but it should not be loose.

IF the foam pieces are indeed loose, you will need to remove the refrigerator to re-secure them in place.  It would be very difficult to do much by trying to reach through the side vents.  If you are fairly handy, it's not a big deal to remove the refrigerator.  However, be sure to first shut off the propane at the tank.  Also, turn off electrical power to the refrigerator, because you will need to disconnect the AC and DC wiring to pull the refrigerator out from the cabinet.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

edited June 24
    @Bayliss, yes, I do have the Norcold Model N180.3x. Looking at your photos, it looks like it's the top horizontal piece in photo 1 and the piece I see in photo 3. I don't recall seeing any holes through it that could be caused by screws so I'm betting it was taped or glued up there somehow. At least now I can see where it should be and can deal with it. Thank you very much!!
    And, after much maneuvering, it's taped back in place. Thank you all, again
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,357
    Good job, @mlk51.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)