Options

Suggestions for Waterproofing Awning?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,506
I have a well-used PahaQue awning in its 9th season that is no longer completely waterproof. In heavy rain, particularly if there is pooling, a little water will drip through the fabric and land in unfortunate places such as my chair cushion or the top of my bald head.
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions/tips for a DIY product that might restore the waterproofing and help me milk a few more years out of this pricey accessory? It's otherwise still in good condition. Thanks! 
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,532
    ScottG said:
    I have a well-used PahaQue awning in its 9th season that is no longer completely waterproof. In heavy rain, particularly if there is pooling, a little water will drip through the fabric and land in unfortunate places such as my chair cushion or the top of my bald head.
    Does anyone have any experience/suggestions/tips for a DIY product that might restore the waterproofing and help me milk a few more years out of this pricey accessory? It's otherwise still in good condition. Thanks! 
    REI has some good advice on waterproofing tents. I’ve always used Nikwax products but there are other options. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,606
    We seal the seams with a tent seam sealer from REI.  Our 7 year old tent drips at the seams in the middle.  Pooling is the problem.  We use an apparatus made of PVC and an extendable tent pole to support the middle of our PahaQue side tent.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,506
    Thanks for the tips. Per the REI tips, it looks like replacing the DWC is the path I need to take. There are some seams in the awning, but the leakage seems to just be water percolating directly through the fabric, particularly where there is pooling--a common issue given the design of the PahaQue. Taking a multi-pronged approach, I might also fashion an extendable center support to deploy during rain events.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 628
    I've had good luck on Sunbrella fabric with this product.
    https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Upholstery-Protector-Repellent/dp/B00KMYYQ36?th=1
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    crosstrnrcrosstrnr Member Posts: 22
    We seal the seams with a tent seam sealer from REI.  Our 7 year old tent drips at the seams in the middle.  Pooling is the problem.  We use an apparatus made of PVC and an extendable tent pole to support the middle of our PahaQue side tent.  
    I know this is off-topic from the OP, but could you post a picture of the PVC and tent pole setup? I think that could be useful for my rig.
    2019 320s Boondock Edge
    TV is 2007 Kia Sorento EX with 3.8L engine
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,606
    @crosstrnr   Be careful with wind.  It may lift the top of the tent and topple the pole.  Still works well with rain and breaks down into storable pieces.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio