Options

Trailer Hitch Question

Please enlighten me. On my last vehicle UHaul installed a Pilot Break Control along with the 7-way connector. Last week at another UHaul facility I had a hitch and 7-way connector installed. However they didn't install the Pilot Break Control. I have another appointment to have that installed. My question is ...is this item really necessary and if so is there a reason it wasn't done? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2015
    I presume you mean "brake" control?
    Not all trailers require a controller so I presume that if you didn't specify that you needed one they wouldn't just install one.
    Yes, it is required as the T@B has electric brakes. Trailers over a certain weight are required to have brakes - This may be a state-by-state thing, not sure.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    While the T@B is a lightweight trailer, it does have electric brakes and it is of benefit to be able to use them. Trailer brakes can help prevent brake fade on your TV and if the trailer starts to sway, actuating the brakes manually will get it back under control. I believe that each jurisdiction differs as to the maximum weight of the trailer before brakes are required, hence reason why U-Haul may not have installed the controller by default. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Thank you. That clarifies things a bit more for me. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The above discussion assumes you have a little guy T@B trailer.  The older DM trailers have surge breaks instead. 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Tweedrvr:  I'm assuming you have a newer T@B?  Mine is a 2013 and has surge brakes, thus no brake controller.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    RZRBUG said:
    Tweedrvr:  I'm assuming you have a newer T@B?  Mine is a 2013 and has surge brakes, thus no brake controller.
    I believe they switched to electric inm2014.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, it assumes that you have a 2014 or newer T@B.  T@B's older then that, with the exception of a very few of the last Dutchman T@B's, had surge brakes, which do not require a controller.  If it is newer it will need a controller.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA