Helene roof damage HELP

jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 172
Hi, 

A tree fell on my 2020 Tab 320 two weeks ago from Helene and it incurred significant damage to the roof. I finally was able to get the tree off and the word from insurance (Progressive) is that it is NOT totaled (previously was told by them that if the roof's framing was damaged that it likely was totaled) and they're giving me about 5k to get the roof replaced along with all attached items (solar, fan, racks, etc). I have sent their estimate and photos to Nucamp just now and hope they can tell me if it's repairable or not, and if they feel that 5k is enough, and what do they advise. 

So -- just needing help from anyone who's gone through something like this. I had been trying to sell it previously so honestly had hoped it was totaled -- I'm under the 4 yr mark for purchase price payout and I'm sure they took that into consideration when they referenced their calendar and weaseled out just in time. It would have been 20+k in that case. 

I have zero trust in any dealer to do a major job such as this and am mentally preparing to trek it up to Nucamp, depending on what they say. I've never been to their facility but have heard good things. (Approaching winter and trying to get to OH in those conditions is stressful for sure and I don't have a good storage situation at this time). 

I'm not sure if these photos are sized properly. I read on here that Vanilla has an automatic size reducer but I'm not sure if it resized automatically. Not in the photos is an area where the roof is coming apart from the side wall up above that storage section with the netting. I didn't notice that until the insurance guy came. May be irrelevant. 

Long post, I apologize for it being a little scattered, just struggling mentally while trying to cope with the ongoing trauma here in the Asheville area. I am lucky in that this was all the damage I sustained. So many people in my community lost everything including their lives. Hoping to get out of town next weekend for a break and some beach therapy. Have been trying to get this situation sorted before leaving town.

I am not signing off on their offer of 5k until I've talked with Nucamp. The agent kept referring to Rpods when he was talking to me... 

Lastly, how do I remove the for sale ad I have on here? Can't figure it out... obviously it's off the market. 

One other -- should I have this posted in a different section of this forum?? 

Thank you everyone. 

Julia

My question for the community here 

2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,906
    Sadly.....this does look like roof structural damage.  Not sure how an RPod is built, but the Tabs have aluminum roof supports about every 8 inches that go across from edge to edge.  You can see the outline of them in his "Tab in the Snow" photo.
    Your adjuster might want to check again. 
    There are other threads that describe the roof construction in detail, with several videos that show trailers on the assembly line before the aluminum roof is installed.
    There are several threads on "hail damage repair" but it is hard to get a handle on the cost, since some of these threads are 5 years old or more.  And, of course, there is not much detail on how or if the damage to the cross members can be repaired.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 172
    Thank you for this info. The insurance guy seems to think that the whole roof can be taken off and reapplied with all new parts. If that is the case, the only place I'd ever dream of doing that job would be the factory in OH. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    Also should I keep this thread in this category? I really need as much help as I can get on this and don't want it to be lost in the wrong category. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 993
    NuCamp should give you a very reliable estimate.  They are also the only choice to do the repair IMO.  They reskinned 300+ roofs after a hail storm in Sugarcreek 2023.  My ins.co. adjusted their payout up significantly based on the NuCamp estimate.
    I think $5K is very light based on my experience.  An accurate estimate may reach the "totaled" threshold.
    I also recommend creating some type of road worthy (duct tape) patch to weather proof the separation if a repair is going to be pursued.
    I hope this helps a little... 

Thank you for this info. Yes, the trek to OH is going to be stressful. Not looking forward to trying to tape it up, dodging any weird weather, etc. I will call Nucamp in the AM. I am guessing Nucamp has to see it to give the estimate, but maybe they can provide some guidance. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,704
    @jules2go - I removed your sale ad.  This category is fine.  Most folks use the search function to locate threads anyway.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MaxcampMaxcamp Member Posts: 274
    edited October 13
    An adjuster will have no clue as to the actual scope of work and cost required for this specialty camper.  They are typically far off the mark on buildings and infrastructure as it is.  As stated early, only the factory has the parts and experience to estimate this.

I would not accept "we'll get it done" in lieu of a detailed scope.  You will probably have to develop the scope yourself in consultation with the factory.

I can easily envision detailed scope of work costs exceeding the fair value of the trailer.

Off the top of my head, scope of work should be highly detailed and might list:
    1. Protections and safeguards of floors, cabinets, fittings, electrical, plumbing, etc.  Do cabinets and electrical fittings need to be removed and reinstalled for access?
    1a.  Steps to prevent mold between now and time of reconstruction
    2. Investigation into whether structure of walls was compromised by impact/strain to roof.  Any deformation impacts operability of windows and door, hatches, etc.
    3. If you had water intrusion, all electrical goods and wires are suspect until certified OK.
    4. Highly specific scope of structural repairs to frame.  What, where, how many, how.
    5. Highly specific scope of structural repairs to roof covering system and trim.  Ibid.
    6. Scope of caulking, painting, sealants.  Products, locations, preparation of substrates, specs.
    6. Testing of watertightness.  How will this be done, with what equipment at what pressures for what duration?  Make sure zero leakage is specified versus a low infiltration rate.  
    7. Are there any factory/field applied finishes after this work?  
    7. Factory and field testing of all systems!  You don't want it back only to find something doesn't work right, and argue over responsible party.
    8. Warranty of work performed
    9. Warranty of systems remaining.

Costs mean nothing until the appropriate scope of work is identified, quantified, and Costed.  Then the issues arises of can anyone do the work at the cost or will they Price in their Risk (they should.)

Your Costs include:
    a. direct damages (repairs)
    b. indirect damages (loss of use, replacement/rental while unavailable). 
    c. damage to stored contents (typically under homeowner policy not auto.)
    d. direct expenses related to obtaining resolution.  Travel, meals, postage, consultation, etc.
    e. Loss of Value.  In a resale this is a kludge.  No way will it sell for pre-damage value.
    Document all communications.

Best of luck, sorry this happened.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• SLJSLJ Member Posts: 524
    I think you're getting jerked around. I had a few dents for hail. Just replacing the roof skin was almost $7,000 and it would have to go back to the factory in Ohio. Nothing wrong with the roof supports and the interior. Get an estimate from NuCamp and go back to progressive.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
    Thank you everyone for these incredibly helpful replies. For anyone new to Nucamp -- this is the place to go for questions. Such a helpful group. I would surmise that Progressive, with so many claims in the SE in two weeks, is trying to pay the lowest possible amount on them. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    SLJ said:
    I think you're getting jerked around. I had a few dents for hail. Just replacing the roof skin was almost $7,000 and it would have to go back to the factory in Ohio. Nothing wrong with the roof supports and the interior. Get an estimate from NuCamp and go back to progressive.
    Thank you SLJ. Yes, hard to believe. Good to know about the cost you incurred and only for hail. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Citruscountytab400Citruscountytab400 Member Posts: 13
    Absolutely totalled.  They will reskin the roof for hail damage, but not structural because, the roof is a one piece aluminum structure.  On a side note, it appears your RV has severe neglect based on the condition of the non damaged areas.  The insurance takes that into account for sure.  
    Full-time rving since 2006, tab owner since 2022
    Absolutely totalled.  They will reskin the roof for hail damage, but not structural because, the roof is a one piece aluminum structure.  On a side note, it appears your RV has severe neglect based on the condition of the non damaged areas.  The insurance takes that into account for sure.  
    I'm not sure why you think or would even say there is severe neglect, that's a little strange to say especially to person who is trying to cope with disaster trauma. It's most certainly not been "severely neglected". Thank you for your other comment though about hail damage cases, that is sort of helpful. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    Per Nucamp at this point, based on the photos from Progressive, it's way more than 5k in damage. I've sent additional info to them to review. The soonest they can look at it is December. They said they are seeing insurance companies right now lowballing offers due to the expansive number of claims. It's interesting too that the guy running my claim initially said (hadn't looked at it) that if the roof frame was damaged that it is probably totaled; it then took two weeks for me to find someone to remove the tree, and so by the time it was removed and the other guy made it over to get pics etc Milton had landed and then the situation went from "probably totaled" to just a roof job at 5k. Maybe unrelated, I have no idea. Just saying all of that in case it might help someone else. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"