Options

Sewer Hose storage solution

Comments

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    edited October 2015
    I am new to camping and towing.  Not mechanically smart and have hard time even to follow IKEA instructions. 

Here is my solution to store Sewer hose (bottom ) and Water hose (top).  Will get a tie down from Lowes and put a cardboard covet on top. 

Will this work and safe?  Please advise as I plan to travel with this set up from Houston to Las Vegas, San Diego,  LA, San Francisco and back to Houston safetly.  TIA.

Attached Image
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2015
    I was wondering if anyone would notice and ask about the black pipes. I have a Sewer Solutions drain system, it uses a 1" flexible drain line to drain the black and grey water tanks. The system came with 20" of this hose. With the way the T@b's drains are in the front, I was afraid this may not be long enough at some campsites. The Sewer Solutions instructions states that you can use 1" PVC pipe to extend the length if needed. What you see are 2- 1.25" x7' long pieces of PVC pipe, painted black and mounted to the tongue. They serve as a sleeve  for the 2-1" x 88" pieces of PVC pipe that I can use to extend my reach by up to 14.8' for the Sewer Solution drain hose, giving me a total reach of almost 35', which should be more that I should ever need.  Good eye on spotting this, I didn't think it was worth mentioning.  Thanks for asking!
  • Options

Playc,   That should work as long as you secure it down well so nothing blows out. I would also think about putting something soft between your storage boxes and the front propane/battery box. once you start down the road the wind and vibration may push the boxes back against it an scratch the front of it, I would also do the same under them as well as not to scratch the tongue.

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Shawn - Will do and Thank you so much for your advice. 
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I would have never guessed that - Probably because I've only been in one campground all year that had sewer hookups so it's a bottom of mind thing for me :-)
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I just ordered last month,  I want that!  Totally awesome.
    Debbie
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2015
    Brilliant and innovative and this is something that was passed along to the factory reps, it was shared with their R&D area and they were very impressed with it and are considering this for future builds.  I'm sure they will contact you regarding the idea and this is further proof that they do listen to suggestions and do in fact incorporate suggestions and tips that originate from the forum areas.  

Who better to make change happen than the end user of these trailers?  This is the reason the forum areas were introduced (to network together and share ideas) and  is why this resource is so valuable to others.  It allows for the sharing of information, is a repository of ideas and information and goes out in time so that future members, prospective new owners and others can benefit from the sharing and thoughtful/insightful input from everyone.  

Thanks for taking the time to post up your trailer work and innovative modification and believe that it will be very useful and beneficial for others down the road.  

Well done!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    Love these ideas. Great job. Looking to put my husband to work. Is there any way to save certain posts for future reference without posting a comment?  I have lost many posts that interested me. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options

Michigan_Mike,

You are most welcome!!!, and thank you for passing it on. I think it would be really cool if they add this to future units. Can't wait to see if it happens, I will keep you all posted if they contact me on this.

Thanks, Shawn

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Jeanne said:
    Is there any way to save certain posts for future reference without posting a comment?  I have lost many posts that interested me. 
    Yes there is Jeanne....  Go up to the top of the page and you will see the gear and a star.  Click on the star and it will save it in your favorites.Once you do this go up to your screen name located above the discussion listings (RH side of page) and you will see the favorites star there.  Click on it and your saved or favorite discussions will be displayed and available for you to reference and read once again.  
  • Options
    pcaddypcaddy Member Posts: 36
    Pop-T@B -- do you use the cylinder between the propane tank and battery for anything now that you have a neat spot to store the hoses?
  • Options
    I took out the piece of PVC pipe an installed a custom made water softener in its place. If you want to see it, check out my other post " soft water for my T@B"
  • Options
    Update, I called LG last week to see if they are looking at offering this as an option in the future. The person I spoke with said that he did see the post and directed me to the R & D department. The person I needed to speak with was out of the office. I left him a voicemail, so hopefully I will hear back soon. I will keep you posted on any information from LG.
  • Options

Connie, you are welcome. Glad to hear that other people are doing this mod and that they find it useful. Could you send some pictures of yours.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    It does look nice, Connie. Yours turned out great too. I admire anyone who can do metal fabricating.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Connie, yours looks great!!! you guys did a fine job on it, It looks the same as what I made. I agree about the extra key on the ring, but I just like the idea of being able to lock it, and I was looking for a solid closure. since the door hinges backwards, I was concerned about the wind flipping it open while going down the road. Great job!
  • Options
    What tool did you use to cut the expanded metal piece and how big of a piece did you purchase for this project?  
  • Options
     Mike,  I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel, the expanded metal piece I used was 3'wide x 4'long, the length and width really depend on how far back under the propane storage box you want to go. I wanted my storage space as big as possible, it is 36" long on the inside from front to back.  For the top plate you can make it from a 2'x2' piece of diamond plate, if you are careful.
  • Options
    Mike,  one more thing, it is very hard, at least for me to make really straight cuts with a angle grinder. After I laid out the piece, I clamped a piece of wood to the lines I wanted to cut and used it for a guide.  
  • Options
    Thanks!  When I get my trailer this will be a mod I plan to do as it will be a great spot for storage and really makes good sense to use this wasted space.  
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Connie, what is that black "ball" bolted to the side of the tongue? I want this mod so badly but also want to move the tire here and trying to figure out how to do both. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options

cbarnhill, take a look at this spare tire mount,

http://johnsontrailerco.com/trailer-bolt-on-spare-tire.php

if you bolt it thru the tongue of the trailer, it should work and it would not interfere with the sewer hose storage lid 

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Thanks, pop-T@B.  Now I need to find someone in PHX who can do these mods for me
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Puppy: ChrisK in Phoenix did some pretty cool mods to their T@B which I hope to someday replicate. He's on the forum and, I must say, a really nice guy. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    I had contacted Shawn (PopT@B) earlier via personal message regarding his mod and one tip he did give me that is worthwhile to share with others is the process of cutting the expanded metal grating used as the bed for storage in this modification.   Shawn suggested using a piece of wood and a C-clamp in the cutting process.  I took his advice and used the wood as a straight edge if you will, clamped the wood to the expanded metal material to keep it in place and then was able to cut it with a small hand grinder with a metal cutting blade.  Prior to this I fabricated a pattern from a piece of cardboard and used this to custom fit/cut the expanded metal piece precisely for my storage bed.  

The most difficult task is drilling into the trailer frame and I would recommend to all that you have some new drill bits on hand as you will be under the frame, drilling upwards and will need a good drill to get this task accomplished.  And of course, always wear safety glasses & leather gloves as this mod will create a ton of sharp metal shavings and you will need protect your eyes and hands from sharp edges and flying bits of metal.  Keep the work area floor clean as the metal shavings cling to clothing, shoes, hair, etc. and your life will be a lot easier as opposed to worrying about these small particles created during the work.  
  • Options
    Connie, I also used  stainless steel self tapping hex head screws.  another tip is to make sure you cover the tips of the screws on the inside of the trailer frame where they protrude, if you don't you may run the risk of them tearing a hole in your hoses
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Hopefully this idea does go through. It could really be used on several of the trailers. Hose storage seems to always be at a premium.
  • Options

Just wanted to give an update to this post. I have received a call from LG and we are in discussions about offering this as a kit. Hopefully everything works out and you may soon be able to order this for your T@B.  I will keep you  posted.

Thanks, Shawn

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pop-T@B said:

Just wanted to give an update to this post. I have received a call from LG and we are in discussions about offering this as a kit. Hopefully everything works out and you may soon be able to order this for your T@B.  I will keep you  posted.

Thanks, Shawn

Great job, Shawn!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014