Options

Another Weird Battery Thingy

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the heads up. Keep on Keeping on....
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2016 Ford Transit 350 Wagon XLT van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    paddy - Funny, I had the same thing last week. First, the TV wasn't charging the T@B as efficiently as normal (first thought was maybe Jenn had snuck up and swapped out my alternator for hers :-). Then when hooking up to the TV, boom, the T@B battery fuse would blow. Crawled underneith and discovered the same, wire too close to the exhaust and finally melted the insulation so it was an exposed wire bouncing around off the frame. Mine was the charge wire.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    The Gremlins have returned.  On my way back from Tearstock, the original problem I posted about happened again.  Since the original posting, I have installed a heavier battery (150 ah) and a new two-way refrigerator, and noticed during one of my stops that the LP detector was beeping.  I checked the house battery and saw that it was a little low.  So, my conclusion is that my truck is not capable of keeping up with both the ARB and the house refrigerator.  I turned the ARB off since it was about empty anyway and the beeping stopped.  This ain't good since there are times on long trips that I will need them both.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2016
    Bigger alternater - What size do you have now?
  • Options
    145 amps.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Have you checked the LP detector battery? I know it's a silly question, but I've seen weirder things happen! 145 amps should be more than enough by the way. The alternator in my Avalanche is the same as yours, and I haven't experienced that issue at all. Have you check the wires to your ARB unit? I had a loose one on my ALDE unit is why I'm asking. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2016
    RZRBUG, I re-read this thread and can't see anything that mentions the wire-gauge running from your TV battery to the 7-pin on your TV.

Is it heavy enough (#8 or #10 wire)? Ditto for the ground wire on the 7pin.

You could have enough voltage drop in an undersized wire to reduce the charging capacity of your alternator.

Does the voltage reading show 14.8 at the Tab battery when hooked up/charging, while the ARB is also drawing power?

This reading would need to be taken when the Tab battery is low, or otherwise drawing a big load (ie: fridge running on 12V).

Just a thought.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    Have you checked the LP detector battery? I know it's a silly question, but I've seen weirder things happen! 145 amps should be more than enough by the way. The alternator in my Avalanche is the same as yours, and I haven't experienced that issue at all. Have you check the wires to your ARB unit? I had a loose one on my ALDE unit is why I'm asking. 
    I thought this detector was hard wired into the system, which is the reason it beeps when the house battery is low?  I haven't checked the ARB wiring, but it is working fine, drawing less than 2 amps when running.  Reassuring to know the alternator is adequate.  Thanks.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ChanW said:
    RZRBUG, I re-read this thread and can't see anything that mentions the wire-gauge running from your TV battery to the 7-pin on your TV.

Is it heavy enough (#8 or #10 wire)? Ditto for the ground wire on the 7pin.

You could have enough voltage drop in an undersized wire to reduce the charging capacity of your alternator.

Does the voltage reading show 14.8 at the Tab battery when hooked up/charging, while the ARB is also drawing power?

This reading would need to be taken when the Tab battery is low, or otherwise drawing a big load (ie: fridge running on 12V).

Just a thought.
    Chan, I'm not sure about the wire size.  It came prewired with the tow package from the factory.  I have not changed any wring since.  I will take a look at it.

I don't recall whether I checked the voltage while the TV was running or when it was shut off.  I did check when it was connected and both ARB and fridge were running.  I believe the reading was 12.5 (maybe 12.3) when beeping.

The T@B has been put up, but I will do these checks soon as I get the chance.

Thanks for the info.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:
    The Gremlins have returned.  On my way back from Tearstock, the original problem I posted about happened again.  Since the original posting, I have installed a heavier battery (150 ah) and a new two-way refrigerator, and noticed during one of my stops that the LP detector was beeping.  I checked the house battery and saw that it was a little low.  So, my conclusion is that my truck is not capable of keeping up with both the ARB and the house refrigerator.  I turned the ARB off since it was about empty anyway and the beeping stopped.  This ain't good since there are times on long trips that I will need them both.  Anyone have any suggestions?

What type battery do you have? AGM or ?
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    It's a Lifeline AGM.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LP is hard wired, no battery. You need 10# for the battery charger wire. You can test to see if it's on by a simple meter. There's also a gizmo you can get at an RV parts store or Amazon that will test your 7 blade pigtail and plug (like the household one) to troubleshoot.  Good luck!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RZRBUG said:
    It's a Lifeline AGM.
    Do you have this for your AGM Battery State of Charge?

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA