Options

LED RGB Light Strip

I have stolen yet another idea from Tearstock. LED RGB light strip! I got the light kit online. The 15M waterproof kit is a perfect length for the T@B. The kit does have a sticky back on the light strip, but didn't seem to stick well, so I bought a roll of Scotch Heavy Duty Outdoor double sided tape at HD. It was 1" wide, so after applying did have to trim. The strip is the perfect width to go on the underside of the keder rail. I also had to take a Dremel to the top corner of the handle trim so it wouldn't smush the strip. The strip connector hangs down just below the handle trim and I can plug it in at a campground. I can tuck the end of the connector under the trim during travel.

Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Nicely done, Carol!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You gals all get together in the same campground it'll look like a carnival midway :-)
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    You are right PXLated. We were blinded all night by one of these strips at Tearstock. While they are very cool in the evening, we had to strategically park 2 trucks so that we could sleep in the night. The light still lit up our cabin through the fantastic vent. We didn't need flashlights in the middle of the night either. It was like a runway.

Carol, it really looks great, and I do like it.  Please think of what I just said and maybe consider shutting it down at bedtime for the other campers.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The same can be true of that LED porch light. I do like having a light by the door when I return and that is where the Luci lights are nice. They are more diffused and the colors can especially tone the light down. It's a bonus that they are solar.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Thanks for the tip Mia. I actually have a felt cover over the inside of my fantastic vent, so it's super dark inside the T@B. I will consider that though depending on where I'm camping.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    It's the other campers I was thinking of Carol. Your lights will shine into their cabins.
  • Options
    Like I said, depending on where I'm camping. If I'm close enough to other campers, will turn them off at quiet time. The remote on mine also has a dimmer switch, so can dim them down too.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Carol, Mia isn't exaggerating about the light from their neighbor. Larry was kind enough to keep his truck parked so they were partially shielded from the literally blinding lights. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Also, if I recall the one at Tearstock was not using any type of awning. I NEVER camp without some type of awning, either the visor, the thermarest, or my big EZ-Up, so that will block most of them.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    The one by us was actually on their awning. The dimmer is a great idea, Carol. Honestly, I think your lights look great!
  • Options
    Yeah, I know who you are talking about now. Those were bright. I don't see the need for lights outside the awning, need them inside the awning for "me" to see without turning on the porch light, not to illuminate the campground.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Like I said, depending on where I'm camping. If I'm close enough to other campers, will turn them off at quiet time. The remote on mine also has a dimmer switch, so can dim them down too.
    Awesome looking mod! Your insight to having a dimmer is genius (again another one of our geniuses!). I absolutely love your entire theme too, btw. 

Just a note about lights in general - I have two rare Coleman lanterns that I adore. No one has ever said anything about how bright they are (these are single mantles) and I've only used them a few times; but man, I felt blinded several times by my own lamps! I found little hurricane lamps using lighter fluid as fuel (reduces smell) work for me when I need/want some dim light around. Even those aren't necessary most of the time.

Ya know, there are times when there is so much cumulative lighting from all around a campground, I don't even need those small lanterns or a small flashlight (ok - the kitty with the big white stripe and I almost crossed paths, so I carry a small flashlight now).

Oh, and a simple mod someone suggested once in a random conversation around the campfire was using lighting timers when on shore power. D'oh to me. I make things so complex at times! Thank you to all our t@bbers that are so aware of being good neighbors and stewards of the environment. 

*hugs*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I installed the LED's on ours, they too have a dimmer. I have the tent room for our T@B, they look very cool inside the tent. When you have them on they make the whole tent glow at night. The first night we had it out and the lights on, we had several questions from the campers around us the next day asking to see what they were and how they were installed. No one complained, they thought they were very cool and wanted to know where to get them. Mine came from Costco.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Fore those of you with LED lights.  Some of us are attempting to avoid the bright light they throw off.  I would appreciate consideration for others.  I can live with the lights.. I'm moved my seating to avoid the glare, but would appreciate if you could dial it down.  I enjoy seeing stars in the sky and this is not possible with the light pollution generated by these things.  I can make do, am generally shy, won't call you on the lights, but they are very often a bother.  
  • Options
    I think most of us realize, there is a time and place for twinkly tacky lights, and there is a time and place to leave them off. And to also be considerate of your neighbors.

When my next door neighbor has this set up, I'm not going to worry about my string of LEDs on my keder rail UNDER my awning :) (Yes, this setup IS at a campground).

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2015

I agree with you Carol, and I to also practice camper etiquette, as I feel most campers do. But as in all things in life not everyone does and for those few that do not, they can be politely asked to. The rest of us that do follow camper etiquette should not be grouped with those few that do not. Camping is suppose to be social and fun, and our T@B's are an expression of our personalities. 

Life is short, keep the fun alive!!!!