Options

Problems with battery discharge and running lights when on the road?

Just returned from a 10 day trip. I experienced problems when towing with refrigerator on 12v. Battery went completely dead and lost all road lighting on trailer. Did not loose electric brakes. Plugged in to 30 amp AC and all was well with running lights while hooked to TV. Battery recharged and all well next day. Happened each day when traveling more than 3 hrs. Any clues? 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sounds like a problem with the charge wire running from your TV thru the 7-pin. I had that problem last week and then started blowing the T@B battery fuse. Turned out it was run too close to the exhaust and after a year, burn't thru and shorted. It started though by just not charging the T@B battery in route for a couple days and then started blowing the fuse. Your's sounds like it's just not connected somewhere. I'd trace that.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Along the same line of thinking…

If you have a multimeter check for voltage between the accessory pin and the ground pin on your 7-pin hitch. (Be sure to check it with they key on, though, as the pin may not be live when they key is off.) That will at least rule out lack of power from the TV.

Of course, I'm assuming that the battery charges through the accessory pin. Someone please correct me if I've got that wrong!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    McCamperMcCamper Member Posts: 6
    What about the running light issue when t@b battery is low? shouldn't they work directly off the TV?
  • Options
    Where does one find the ground wire connecting on the T@B?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    McCamper said:
    What about the running light issue when t@b battery is low? shouldn't they work directly off the TV?
    This sounds like either a bad ground on the T@b or that there is a problem with your seven pin connector coming from youth TV. Taking it to a dealer or RV repair place is probably your best bet.

If you have a voltmeter, you can do an internet search on how to test the 7 pin connector or you can get an inexpensive tool for testing it, like this one.

If they test out OK, then it is, somewhat likely a ground issue on the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    McCamper said:
    Where does one find the ground wire connecting on the T@B?
    The main ground wire is in the bench with the wiring for the converter (circuit breakers and blade fuses are in the converter),  The ground wire goes through the floor, is a solid copper wire, and is attached to the frame under that area. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Problems solved, I think - wiring in TV battery feed line.
  • Options
    pcaddypcaddy Member Posts: 36
    I had a problem blowing fuses on the battery and it turned out to be the wire to the trailer brake was too close to the exhaust.  This was corrected and I have had no problems since.