Options

How cold can I go? Headed to Oregon for Thanksgiving.

2»

Comments

• Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    Makes me wonder why Lil Guy just hasn't made an adaptable cover that can also be used for off-season storage so you don't have to evict the mice, ants, snakes and whatever else decides that the inside of the trailer is better than outside???
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    GlennBeck said:
    Makes me wonder why Lil Guy just hasn't made an adaptable cover that can also be used for off-season storage so you don't have to evict the mice, ants, snakes and whatever else decides that the inside of the trailer is better than outside???
    Call Elsie in Parts at Pleasant Valley. She will give you the info about the cover they sell. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2016
    My simple solution for cold weather is a piece of Dibond with duolock around the entire edge to also keep out a unwanted critters.. I also noticed in my hunt to stop all cold air entering we have the 2 caps vents on front of units that have 3 way fridge also side vent to cover. There's also a plastic sleeve were propane hose that goes through floor up to ALDE that allows small amount of cool air in.

Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Is there consensus about which AC cover is better: the one from Elsie vs the homemade ones with dual lock? 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't think one is better than the other - Some prefer to just buy a snap on, others make one. They all keep the cold air from blowing in. My latest is simply a piece of vinyl plastic secured to the vent by magnets. Works like a champ folds in half, stores easy.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If you use the dual lock homemade, put dual lock all the way around the inside of the cover. If not, it may blow off (either that it was user error and I didn't push the cover on well before leaving camp). I'm on my 2nd one. The great thing about the corrugated plastic from Home Depot is that you can make at least 3 of them if you mess up. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkity - I've lost two. I no longer try to travel with it in place. No real need to though. They are easy to make remake.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    What about water system? If your camping after Nov 30 I would think the Tab has been winterized.
    Depends on where you are and where you will be camping.

I am traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway in a few weeks and plan to simply watch the weather.  It is that time of year, it could be really nice with no worry about freezing, or it could turn really cold and I may have to winterize on the road.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 418
    sabel well, time has passed and I am curious how this held up in the long run?

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    GlennBeck I am dying here! Press n Seal added to the list of things for the camper!

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,545
    @ColleenD2, really the easiest and effective way to seal out the cold from around the air conditioner is to first, unscrew the frame and lay down some weather-strip type foam - just to seal the air gaps.  Then screw the frame back on.  Then order the vinyl, exterior ac cover from Elsie.  It comes with 4 snaps of which one side is pre-attached to the cover.  The other 4 sides of the snaps are simple self-tapping screws.  After marking where you want the snaps to line up, just slightly tap each screw to break the surface of the ac aluminum frame then complete insertion with a screw driver.  Easy.  We like our white, vinyl cover, but you must remember to remove it for travel.  We used ours out in Utah down in the 20’s and it helps a lot, along with the insulation.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I am petrified of putting any screws in. I do worry since our ac is on the bottom, about covering it just for driving.

• Options
    Call Elsie about availability of a cover for your AC.  
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    I just bought one of these, but waiting on my replacement camper before installing.  But it’s very high quality, just a bit pricey.  https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/product-page/t-b-320-a-c-vent-door
  • Options
    Too bad that nice one won’t fit the U model floor level ac.
  • Options
    Too bad that nice one won’t fit the U model floor level ac.
    Yeah for sure, I talked to this guy personally and he makes all this stuff in his custom shop.  I bet he could fabricate one for the U model, but not sure how much he would charge.  He owns his own fabrication shop.  His name is John and is a really great guy.  He water cuts all of the this out of stainless steel and aluminum, and its meant to last forever.
  • Options
    dhauf or Sharon_is_SAM any idea what the difference is in the A/C units? 

• Options
    edited August 2018
    ColleenD2 said:
    dhauf or Sharon_is_SAM any idea what the difference is in the A/C units? 

The one on my T@b is a small 5000btu window unit type A/C unit mounted on the wall up high, it has a smaller vent opening up top.  I'm not too sure on the specs on the U model but I know it is mounted on the floor and has a bigger vent opening on the bottom.
  • Options
    Ohhh ok