Options

Test Alde Winterizatin/Bypass

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
The valves on my T@b valves seem to be opposite the diagrams for winterization. I simply reversed them to put until winter mode, but for some reason, I am second guessing myself. Is there a way to test it without putting water back in the tank or lines?

We have had an unusually warm fall and I am just getting around to winterizing. We had already been through weather cold enough to break my outside underground by this time last year. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Compressed air, unless you have put in antifreeze.  Just like opening a faucet, also no pressure built up, if a valve is open.
  • Options
    Thanks, @jdargis... this might be a stupid question, but how would I tell it was working correctly? I have not yet added anti-freeze.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Valves closed - pressure at the faucet,
    Valves open - no pressure at the faucet.
    I assume the Alde is bypassed.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thanks. That makes sense to me. Yes, it is bypassed.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Assuming everything works as it should, you can also tell just by looking. If the valve handle is in line with the pipe, the valve is open. If the handle sticks away from the pipe (in either direction) than the valve is closed.

Note that the plastic yellow drain valve for the Alde is a little different. If it's sticking up from the pipe, the drain to the outside is open. If it's laying down on the pipe (in either direction) the drain is closed, but fluid can still flow through the valve. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Assuming everything works as it should, you can also tell just by looking. If the valve handle is in line with the pipe, the valve is open. If the handle sticks away from the pipe (in either direction) than the valve is closed.

The problem is that I believe my valves were installed backwards.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    jkjenn said:
    ScottG said:

The problem is that I believe my valves were installed backwards.
    Quite possible. They look like they are just simple ball valves, however, so it won't make any difference in how they work. Given that, I'm guessing the installers pay no mind as to which way they put them in!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    boo said:
    jkjenn, I did the same as you.
    Just recently I attempted my first "winterization".
    I open known valves, blew out lines with air pressure, added antifreeze to traps, and put valves in winter postition.
    After having done this using pictures as a guide, I DO NOT have faith I did everything right.
    Hoping for the best.
    I winterized it, myself, last year but for some reason, this year I am questioning myself. Hopefully, tonight I can get out with the compressor and test it.

It would be nice if LG included a video with each trailer sold on correct proceedures.

Don't hold your breath. It would be nice, but out of the ordinary. This type of stuff is usually done by a dealer.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    "usually done by a dealer" - Yep. Just like with home winterizing (lines are just longer). Or blowing out a sprinkler system. Most hire somebody.
  • Options
    boo said:
    jkjenn said:
    boo said:
    jkjenn, I did the same as you.
    Just recently I attempted my first "winterization".
    I open known valves, blew out lines with air pressure, added antifreeze to traps, and put valves in winter postition.
    After having done this using pictures as a guide, I DO NOT have faith I did everything right.
    Hoping for the best.
    I winterized it, myself, last year but for some reason, this year I am questioning myself. Hopefully, tonight I can get out with the compressor and test it.

It would be nice if LG included a video with each trailer sold on correct proceedures.

Don't hold your breath. It would be nice, but out of the ordinary. This type of stuff is usually done by a dealer.
    I don`t trust my dealer. 
    My dealer made me make two 130 mile trips to pick up my trailer. Said they had to check and prep everything.
    Got to campsite, "first trip out", and no hot water.
    They had the valves in the wrong position!.
    I don't trust mine, either, but that doesn't shift the responsibility to LG.

• Options
    @jdargis thanks for the testing advice. Connected the compressor, again and it all checked out OK. Good to go for winter!