Options

Thanksgiving Dinner

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
So is there anyone out there planning on doing Thanksgiving in a T@B? I'm interested in how you bake a turkey on a gas stove and how many guests are expected around the fold-up table. Here in Wyoming it'll be too cold and snowy to set foot outside so the T@B's out of the question.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Yes. I'll be having the following in my T@B:

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    sabel said:
    So is there anyone out there planning on doing Thanksgiving in a T@B? I'm interested in how you bake a turkey on a gas stove and how many guests are expected around the fold-up table. Here in Wyoming it'll be too cold and snowy to set foot outside so the T@B's out of the question.
    I was looking into this and it seemed like the Dutch oven outside might have been the way to go, but if that isn't possible, you might want to try doing Turkey breasts in a thermal cooker. If you have shore power, a slow cooker might also be the way to go.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm thinking I might be able to bake/roast a breast on my Weber-Q. Otherwise I'll probably just hit a restaurant and let them do the cooking.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited November 2015
    We don't cook in the T@B but use it as a bedroom for the guests and kids up at our cabin in the woods.  Biggest arguments are who gets to sleep in it.  

Turkey is actually cooked over an open fire pit.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We'll probably do the same thing as did today. Have hot dogs around the fire 
  • Options
    Turkey dogs I'd presume.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hopefully not the furry kind.......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    sabel said:
    We'll probably do the same thing as did today. Have hot dogs around the fire 
    You can send the snow my way!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, not until after December 27th, OK????  Let me get outta here first and then you can have all that white stuff you want!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    Totally agree Verna! I don't want to see any of that white stuff until I get out of Pittsburgh right after Christmas. Then Jenn, you can enjoy my share
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Last year at this time I was sitting in my brothers driveway waiting for Ed to ship me something, 10 degrees and lite snow. Snowed 8-10 there today. Glad I was long gone.
  • Options
    Just spent the evening outside by the fire with good friends and wine. Can't understand how anyone would live back East (I was raised in the Midwest).  Sell your homes, quit your jobs and come to Arizona. You'll never look back.
    Frank
  • Options
    AZ - Ya, come for the winter but flee for your life come summer ;-)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    OutbackAZ said:
    Just spent the evening outside by the fire with good friends and wine. Can't understand how anyone would live back East (I was raised in the Midwest).  Sell your homes, quit your jobs and come to Arizona. You'll never look back.
    Frank
    No Wegmans, that's why!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    Frank
    No Wegmans, that's why!
    Ah, Wegmans...there are no better grocery stores!

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited November 2015
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    Frank
    No Wegmans, that's why!
    Ah, Wegmans...there are no better grocery stores!
    I do my shopping at THE Wegmans, the one where they roll out all the new concepts. Downside is people bringing their out of town visitors to gawk at everything in the summertime.

To bring this back to the topic of Thanksgiving Dinner, at Wegmans you can get a ready to eat roasted turkey and all the trimmings, prepared by in-store chefs. Just bring it back to your T@B and enjoy.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    It's not about cool grocery stores this time of year. I think  of John Candy in "Planes, trains and automobiles" it's about family and close friends. Cherish them if you have them.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    It's not about cool grocery stores this time of year. I think  of John Candy in "Planes, trains and automobiles" it's about family and close friends. Cherish them if you have them.
    Our family has been known to take a family trip to Wegmans, together. It's that good.

• Options
    There's a store chain in Minneapolis called Byerly's (now Lunds/Byerly's) - Used to have grocery store execs from around the U.S. fly in for tours. You'd also find busloads of japanese tourists stopped at them. They were the pioneers of the big fancy grocery stores more common now. They even had high end crystal shops in the richer suburbs. Post offices even. Hugh delis and bakerys. Restaurants and chefs. Have always been surprised that Don Byerly sold his chain to Lunds, not nearly the stores that Do created.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Ever see the episode on "Everyone Loves Raymond" where Marie served a tofu turkey to be healthy? I digress, sorry.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Wow! This Wegman's place must be realy cool! Too bad they're not out West.
  • Options
    One of the best grocery stores I've been in is in Aberdeen, SD - Can't remember the name, started with a K
    One thing I find lacking so far in my SW travels are good meat departments - Pitiful compared to the midwest - Best in that area is the HiVee chain.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    OutbackAZ said:
    Wow! This Wegman's place must be realy cool! Too bad they're not out West.
    Honestly, it really is. After living in different areas of the country, I realize what we had in NY, before the era lf the department sore styled grocery store was amazing. We had local, organic produce in the 80‘s before it was, "in".

Their hot foods and deserts are phenomenal, too.

• Options
    Everyone has canned, boxed, and frozen goods (some more variety than others). What distinguishes is the deli (hot/cold), the bakery, and the meat/produce departments in my book. Organics - could care less - from everything I've read, no healthier. In some categories might be tastier though.
  • Options
    My tomatoes from my organic garden are the best you will ever taste!  Next year will be the 25th year for this garden. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Organics - could care less - from everything I've read, no healthier.
    I pretty much agree with you. I have never gone out of my way to purchase organics, but because a lot of the produce was from local family farms, the organic was often the default. People in the Ithaca area were into more "natural" foods  decades before most of America. I look back at it and realize we ate locally grown, grass fed beef and poultry and didn't pay extra for it because it was what was available. One of the positives in an otherwise quirky area of the state.

Wegmans often gets rated among the highest for best companies to work for and they were fast to get emergency supplies out to areas in the region that were ravished by flooding.

• Options
    Verna - Home grown tomatoes are one of those that usually taste better. Can't think of another off the top of my head though.
  • Options
    Jenn - Yep, never paid extra for grass-fed beef. Now they charge 150% more for anything natural/organic - a rip.
  • Options
    Turkey's on - Never baked one in a grill before so we'll see how this turns out.
    Boondocking in AZ

• Options
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp - Excuse me.