Options

Condensation Issues

We just came back from a four day trip to Oregon.  This was our maiden voyage with the t@b.  All went very well, but we did notice a lot of condensation on the ceiling.  The worst experience was the morning after a good all night rain.  Does anyone know if this is normal?  The shower on our CS-S was very wet, too.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Did you have the roof vent opened a bit? In the rain it's a balancing act between having it open enough to properly ventilate vs so far open that the rain splashes in. You'll also need to have the side windows (and/or front window) open as well to allow a bit of flow-thru.

Also, there was a thread on this forum a while back where someone got condensation whenever they used the Alde even with "proper" ventilation. I don't think that was ever figured out other than "mileage can vary".
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to the T@b family! We just got ours this past summer and love it.

We camped in the desert southwest, so condensation wasn't an issue but did notice the floor of our shower getting wet too. I finally decided that it must have been that last little bit of clean water in the toilet splashing out as we went along the road. Normally we dumped our black and grey water tanks and made sure that there was no water left in the bottom of the bowl, but when we forgot to do that, it splashed out.

Could that be the wetness in your shower?
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you have a vent cover installed - one of the first things I did - you can keep the vent open in rain, snow, sleet or hail (but only if you work for the post office)

• Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to the T@b family! We just got ours this past summer and love it.

We camped in the desert southwest, so condensation wasn't an issue but did notice the floor of our shower getting wet too. I finally decided that it must have been that last little bit of clean water in the toilet splashing out as we went along the road. Normally we dumped our black and grey water tanks and made sure that there was no water left in the bottom of the bowl, but when we forgot to do that, it splashed out.

Could that be the wetness in your shower?

It could be, but it was raining cats and dogs on the first night of our trip.  The humidity factor had to be very high.  I think we will try keeping a window open next time and see if it helps.  However, when its 32 degrees outside its difficult to have the motivation to do so.

Thanks!
    Tom

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TomStephens1, just in case you weren't aware of it, the windows does have a "stop" that will hold the windows open about 1/4". If you open the roof vent just a bit and one window, this will create a natural air movement that will remove  the moist air. 

Last winter in Arizona in my Silver Shadow teardrop, the window opening was at the top of the mattress level. I still kept the window open the width of a wine cork, but I put a small pillow in front of it behind my back, forcing the incoming air away from me, but allowing it to move towards the roof vent. I never have had any problems with any condensation.

I'm like PXLated in that the first upgrade to my T@B was the Aero Flo vent cover. It's wonderful to be able to have ventilation in any type of weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It also seems from observing past discussions that not many/any single T@B travelers have reported condensation issues. There might be enough volume in a T@B (vs a silver shadow for instance) to handle one but not necessarily two night time heavy breathers.
  • Options
    I do agree with that observation, PXLated, but I never wanted to count on it, so I still leave my window and vent open. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015
    The first thing I did when I got my 2015 T@B-S was to purchase the Aeroflo vent cover.  And I agree with the above, crack the roof vent open and get some air circulating inside the cabin area and the condensation will go away.  Some people have also used the smaller Eva-Dry de-humidifier units and seem to like them.  

The secret is air flow, cracking the vent and allowing the cabin area to mix with outside air and moving it with a small fan or the ceiling fan.  Once you do this your problem will go away.

condensation
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    But, remember, the ceiling fan draws a lot of juice so unless you're on shore power I'd go for a battery powered unit for circulation.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    But, remember, the ceiling fan draws a lot of juice so unless you're on shore power I'd go for a battery powered unit for circulation.
    True, and I own a small O2 fan with a USB port that I use.  

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    We reversed the shade/screen assembly in our T@B-CS. This way the shades come up from the bottom and the screens come down from the top. Not only does it afford more privacy when the shades are partially up, but it diverts air flow away from bed level. This way when we open the window and the fan vent a tiny bit, we don't have a draft dancing around our toes. And we do have a cover for our fan. We have had little if any condensation inside the T@B and plenty of oxygen to breathe.
    Happy Trails!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The newer shades might be next year's splurge.  Great idea to reverse them.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I keep the side window open an inch or two and the blind open a bit with the shade filling the gap. If someone wants to try to window peak through that gap, more power to them. They won't be rewarded with much :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    skwhee said:
    We reversed the shade/screen assembly in our T@B-CS. This way the shades come up from the bottom and the screens come down from the top. Not only does it afford more privacy when the shades are partially up, but it diverts air flow away from bed level. This way when we open the window and the fan vent a tiny bit, we don't have a draft dancing around our toes. And we do have a cover for our fan. We have had little if any condensation inside the T@B and plenty of oxygen to breathe.
    Happy Trails!
    I prefer the air flow towards me. :)

PXLated said:
    I keep the side window open an inch or two and the blind open a bit with the shade filling the gap. If someone wants to try to window peak through that gap, more power to them. They won't be rewarded with much :-)
    Ditto.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Jenn - But I don't do it when it's freezing cold outside like some people we know (well, one anyway) that do ;-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - But I don't do it when it's freezing cold outside like some people we know (well, one anyway) that do ;-)
    Guilty!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76

Question about the "O2 fan with a USB"

Above Michigan_Mike mentioned that he uses an O2 fan with a USB instead of using the vent fan. Where do you put the O2 Fan, and how much does it use in the way of amps.

Also, how much height do the vent covers shown above - Not sure they would fit in the garage we are going to park the T@B S we have ordered.

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    The vent cover I have can be easily removed - two srews, two pins and it lifts off. All that's sticking up then is the standard vent/fan lid.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jctangney said:

Question about the "O2 fan with a USB"

Above Michigan_Mike mentioned that he uses an O2 fan with a USB instead of using the vent fan. Where do you put the O2 Fan, and how much does it use in the way of amps.

Also, how much height do the vent covers shown above - Not sure they would fit in the garage we are going to park the T@B S we have ordered.

My O2 fan runs on 2-D batteries. I just sit it on the back shelf for air circulation. I also like a little white noise. I don't know the amp draw on the one that runs off usb.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    PXLated - Will the vent cover you use attach above the Fantastic Fan that's on my T@B or do I need one that's made for mine? I remember you said you had it installed in just a few minutes. Does it require some drilling and screws to install it? I can do that if needed..have to find a place to be above the roof or scaffolds. I don't think I want to put much of my 200 lbs on the roof, :-)
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Yes, the cover I have fits over the standard factory fantastic fan.
    It looked fairly easy, screw four brackets to the metal rim (base) of the fantastic fan and attach the cover to those brackets. My dealer was supposed to do it but didn't so they had a rv service place do it. I was on the road so no ladder, screw driver or anything. Probably would have just done it myself if I had the stuff.
    I think the mounting is included in the price if you buy it at an rv place - that was my impression anyway.
  • Options
    KyBawpaw said:
    PXLated - Will the vent cover you use attach above the Fantastic Fan that's on my T@B or do I need one that's made for mine? I remember you said you had it installed in just a few minutes. Does it require some drilling and screws to install it? I can do that if needed..have to find a place to be above the roof or scaffolds. I don't think I want to put much of my 200 lbs on the roof, :-)
    @KyBawpawI was able to install mine with an extension ladder against the side with a heavy quilt between the ladder and the T@B. If you don't have two extension ladders, you'll need to move the one from side to side. It really is a simple process, although it may take a while to complete. Make sure the vent cover is straight, side to side, front to back, use a pencil to mark 4 holes on the lip of the vent, drill the 4 holes, attach the vent cover using the included hardware. There is no need to get on top of the T@B...just safely reach to the vent from each side. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Then that Maxx II brand will match up on top of the Fantastic Fan?
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    KyBawpaw said:
    Then that Maxx II brand will match up on top of the Fantastic Fan?
    Someone who has a Maxx II will have answer that. I have the Aero Flo brand because I like the sleek look ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yep - I've got the MaxII - Smoked version - Fit just fine.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna said:

@KyBawpawI was able to install mine with an extension ladder against the side with a heavy quilt between the ladder and the T@B. If you don't have two extension ladders, you'll need to move the one from side to side. It really is a simple process, although it may take a while to complete. Make sure the vent cover is straight, side to side, front to back, use a pencil to mark 4 holes on the lip of the vent, drill the 4 holes, attach the vent cover using the included hardware. There is no need to get on top of the T@B...just safely reach to the vent from each side. 
    You answered my question Verna --- a coworker who is handy, said he'd install the aeroflo cover when I get one and we wondered if he needed to get on the roof (which we both didn't think would be a good idea). Good to hear you can reach the area with a tall ladder. I hope to have this done after the holidays. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Has anyone tried the MaxxAir vent cover?  It doesn't require drilling holes in the roof (attaches to vent flashing).

• Options
    Bert said:
    Has anyone tried the MaxxAir vent cover?  It doesn't require drilling holes in the roof (attaches to vent flashing).

Bert, the roof vent covers are attached to the existing roof vent so no holes need to be drilled through the roof, only the roof vent lip that is cover by the roof vent lid. This way you never have to worry about having to destroy the integrity of your roof with a misplaced hole. Read my instructions above for the Aero Flo. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Once you've installed a vent cover (I've got the MaxAirII), remember that you've added a foot to the height - I came real close to ripping mine off entering a car wash with a low slung height bar.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    As Verna noted above, you are drilling through the side cover of the Fantastic vent and installing some metal mounting pieces.  It is mounted similarly as shown in the MaxAir instructions below.