Options

which model to buy? wet bath vs porta potty

hi, we are seriously thinking about buying a T@B and we are trying to figure out which model to buy.  We will primarily be doing weekend trips but in a couple of years from now we are planning a cross country trip. I think we have decided we want inside cooking but our main question is whether to have a wet bath or just have a porta potty and in this case would probably go for the Q layout.  Seems like a porta potty holds close to the same amount of black water.  And we don't care about the privacy issue...been together long enough that that doesn't matter.  I'm wondering if anyone out there uses a porta potty in the Q and if so is there a place to store it under a bench?   Also wondering if we were to go with a wet bath model...can one really take a shower, soap up and shampoo and rinse before running out of water? Is the water pressure super weak? Thanks for the advice! 

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Everyone's mileage varies by need, but we have a Q and have never felt the need to have a wet bath.  We also have never used the port a pot, we don't even carry it with us.

We are also weekend campers and just carefully plan where we will be, and make sure there are always facilities wherever that is.  I even did three weeks across the country last year and never felt that I was missing anything by not having it.

If it is carried, it stores in the lower cabinet under the sink.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We purchased our T@B S M@xx after making a 13,000 mile trip from Michigan to Alaska and back in a traditional teardrop trailer........the bed on wheels with a galley kitchen.   On the way, while hunkering down in Glacier National Park, unable to cook or eat or do anything outside because of the wind and cold and rain, we were invited to visit with our neighbors..........who had a T@B.   It was love at first sight and we were hooked.   When the weather doesn't allow us to cook outside, we are grateful for the indoor kitchen.   And the value of an indoor bathroom in the middle of the night?   Priceless!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I have the Q and carry a luggable loo.  Have never missed the indoor facilities and don't have to worry about emptying the tank or winterizing it.  

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I love the wetbath because:

- It makes for a quick stop along the journey when you haven't seen a bathroom for miles and are miles from the next big town.
    - Late night, middle of the night, and early morning bathroom trips - no running out in the middle of a storm.
    - Safety
    - Can shower when dry camping (overnight at Walmart or out in the boonies)
    - Cleanliness

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    RZRBUG - You're a rugged guy ;-)
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    We went with the Q.  Love the openness, counter space, and under counter storage.  The porta potty that came with did not fit in the cabinet as it was supposed to so if you want it inside be sure to check.  We are quite happy with his and her urinals for occasional night time use.  We do have the outside shower and a privacy tent we set up next to it.  We are able to get a quick ship shower when needed.  We are over 25 nights since May and quite happy.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have a clean waste portable toilet.  Folds up and fits under the lower storage area beneath the sink on my DM T@B.  Also have a portable privacy pop up tent that fits on the passenger side rear of the T@B.  Love the big bed in my Q.   
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2015
    We recently purchased a Q and absolutely love it.  We wanted the extra kitchen storage space and didn't want to have to deal with a black water tank.  When we had our Silver Shadow, we had a Reliance Flushable Loo in the 5 x 7 tent attached to the trailer and used the bags.  When we upsized to the T@B, we had the dealer to order the side tent and the Laveo Dry Flush System.  We keep it in the side tent with a beach towel covering it.  We will us it when boondocking and also for those middle of the night trips when staying in campgrounds that do have facilities.  
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015
    I have the T@B Max-S unit.  I have also used a porta potty for years and also have one of the pop up style privy tents that I have used for the last five years. As noted above, the S unit allows you the convenience for ease of late-night trips to the restroom and should it be raining or foul weather this is all eliminated.  There is a mirror on the wall in the restroom to and my lady Linda says it will work fine when applying make-up or anything of that nature.

I haven't actually used the shower or restroom as yet, but this will eliminate the need for the privy tent and logging  around the Porta potty. Either way you will need to empty these units sometime down the road and will end up at the dump station sooner or later. For me that was never a big deal anyway and it will not be a life altering event now that I have the S unit.

For us convenience is what it is all about and I believe that the pluses far outweigh the negatives.  If you want to freshen up and catch a quick shower that can be done, and you have the ability to do so at any location you end up at.  I have owned three other Little Guy units and never dreamed that I would end up in a T@B unit, but couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide to do!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited December 2015
    Warning! Incoming TMI:

I had a porta potty/marine potty when I had the popup camper. It wasn't a big deal to empty and clean at the end of a weekend of camping and handy at night for #1. The cons, when the seal(s) go on the tank (there's a couple), it can be messy. First potty lasted 10 years and I used the heck out of that camper. Also, it is low to the ground and hard on the knees if you are not as young as you used to be (great for kids). Guys might not appreciate how low it is and the splash factor with a porta potty. Can be used for #2, but not recommended. That camper also had a separate shower cassette and water tank (with hot water) and it had to be winterized.

I then had the reverse Teardrop (queen bed only), no galley and no water and I used "TravelJons" for midnight tinkle needs. TravelJon is a brand name, portable, disposable (1x use), and purchased from Amazon. They seem pricey, but when it's raining, windy, 32F out or less, they are priceless. My ground-dwelling Sis laughed at me the first time I showed her my midnight emergency tinkle solution. She wasn't laughing when she needed to use the one I gave her and it was pouring rain outside out. I didn't miss cleaning tanks or winterizing water tanks at all. There are granules in the disposable TravelJon that absorb liquid and prevent spillage. No odor (can't help you though if you eat garlic! LOL). Throw away in the morning with trash. I had a container with grocery bag that would keep the used one out of the way for the night.

The T@Bitha has the shower/potty. This is the first time I've had to winterize tanks in over 5 years and didn't look forward to it (con). The pros: this forum has made the job so much easier than I made it with the popup! People here are so innovative. Pros: I appreciate the privacy and safety (as jkjenn said) and the water tank and shower will last a weekend for 2 people taking marine showers (as per boo). Other people have made water conservation an artform and I've read that little bitty tank (mine is 11 gal) last 5 days. There are many YouTube videos on boondocking and water conservation (and power conservation). I have a 100W semi-flexible solar setup and power isn't an issue (except during a string of rainy days - I have a Honda 2000i like PXL). 

I'm still learning the different approaches to dump stations that are set up for big rigs. How clean is clean and winterizing tips from forum members (ice cubes, the 1 gallon air pressure system, etc).  Just FYI, just because it's freezing outside and my water tanks and pipes are winterized doesn't mean I am not game to go camping! Those TravelJons will come in handy during those times and I will use local facilities for showers, etc. 

A kitchen inside means you'll have a sink and a water tank (plus gray water to be dumped) that has to be winterized (with possibly hot water). If you want to avoid the "ick" factor of a black tank and don't mind using some of the more questionable facilities, then don't get the shower/potty. Extra storage is always a Pro!

Sorry this ended up tl;dr. End result, personal preference. 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After winterization, you can also use Double Doodie bags on the toilet (or your favorite brand). The bags will stretch to fit the entire opening., put the seat down and it holds it in place. Put BioGell or kitty litter (unscented) in the bag and it will keep the odor down. It can be used for both "numbers". Toss in the trash when done, as you would a child's diaper, but this will be in a double zip lock bag. Just be careful not to get the kitty litter in the actual toilet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited December 2015
    We don't have our T@B S yet but I will share our thought process. We have tent camped for 30+ years. Many times we've had to go out to use the campground restroom in the middle of the night, sometimes in heavy rainstorms. When my son was little we'd keep a porta potty in the tent. Not only was that a bit messy, but hauling the fresh water tank to the spigot to fill it, and hauling the waste tank to the restroom to dump it, was a pain. When we decided to get the T@B the wet bath was an easy choice. We still have the option to use campground facilities, but it will be nice not to have to.

As a bonus, it will be nice to have a convenient clean restroom when we're traveling.

I should note that we intend to do most of the cooking outdoors since we already have a camping stove, grill, kitchen stand, etc. If you expect to do all your food prep & cooking indoors, that may be more important than having a bathroom.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    The only experience I've had with porta pottys was in boats - always a pain to go empty - dump stations are so much easier.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I got a sample pack of the bag in the toilet method from the original "Wag Bag" people with the NASA propriety "Poo Powder" in it. We're thinking of giving that system a try out. If it works I can just super clean the black tank and use it for additional drinking water storage. NOT REALLY ! But it would be nice not to ever worry about black water dumping again. Grey water is easy to mess with.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Photomom said:
    When my son was little we'd keep a porta potty in the tent. Not only was that a bit messy, but hauling the fresh water tank to the spigot to fill it, and hauling the waste tank to the restroom to dump it, was a pain. 
    Sure beats skeeters on your rear-end!   Actually the porti-potty I have has a directional tube on it that makes clean out easy and efficient.  I never filled the water holding tank full because that wasn't necessary and was much easier to carry and handle.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a Dutchmen Clamshell, and the front bench was designed that there is a permanent space for the portapotty to sit. You just open the cabinet lid and can use the potty right there. I have looked at the new T@Bs both online and in person, and even if I were to buy a new one (heaven forbid mine becomes unusable for some reason). I'm happy that I can get almost exactly what I currently have with a little bit of customization.

I DON'T miss having the inside shower, much prefer having the closet space and "counter" space with the CoolCat table top. Most of the campgrounds I frequent have excellent shower facilities and endless hot water. I do use the portapotty at night. No going out or hunting for shoes in the middle of the night. I usually empty it every two days on longer trips and just before leaving on weekend trips.

I sometimes still tent camp and I have a bucket potty for those trips that stays in the corner of the tent. Just put a little bit of water in the bottom and one of those blue drop in packets, and just empty the bucket as needed. In many ways that is actually easier than the Thetford portapotty, but the bucket won't fit in the spot designated for the portapotty in the T@B.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    If all you do (in general) is stay in campgrounds with toilet facilities and/or showers, a portable urnal will get you thru the night. If on the other hand you don't, the bathroom is a godsend. My shower doubles as a closet to a certain degree. I have to remove one thing for the toilet and three thing if I want the shower (no biggy). Wouldn't  trade my S model for nothin :-)
    It all comes down to how/where you camp.
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2015
    There was no S model when I bought my T@b, but I don't think I would have bought one anyway.  The amount of storage space and counter space in my L model  is fantastic and can't imagine not having it.  It has so much storage space that all I have to do when I am ready to go camping is pack some food and a few changes of clothing.  My sheets, two blankets, two pillows, one of those large sitting up in bed pillows, two large plastic storage units full of towels, shower necessities, etc. and on top of all that, an inflatable kayak and all it's gear all fit in the floor to ceiling cabinets in the back!!!  The kitchen area also has a ton of cabinet/counter space that is lost with the S model.   I also had no desire to mess with a black tank like those in bigger trailers which is why I ended up with a T@b.  PX is right though, I camp at fed and state campgrounds with fantastic bathhouses for showers so no need to a wetbath, and I don't mind hopping on my bike to use the bathroom or going behind a tree at night when I have to.  :)  Bottom line, it is up to each happy camper and what we want in a trailer.  Storage and cabinet/counter space or a place to shower and go the bathroom.  
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    P.S - Michigan Mike, I have not been on the forum much the last year and a half.  So glad to hear you got a T@b, although your navy blue Little Guy was darling!
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike