Options

Traveling from Warm to Freezing. Winterizing mid trip?

I will be heading out on a trip to the Gulf (Alabama & Florida) next week from Chicago. It is currently above freezing here (chicago) so I will de-winterize before leaving. However we will not be returning until January and it will most likely be below freezing when we get back.

Anyone have any tips for winterizing mid trip? We will definitely be using the water tanks and system during the trip so leaving it winterized isn't an option. I have never winterized as our T@B came winterized when we picked it up from Pleasant Valley in October.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Last year I winterized/dewinterized as needed inroute - I drained the fresh water tank used the blowout method (I don't inject with antifreeze other than the traps) using a battery-powered tire pump. Wasn't much of a hassel.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Last year I winterized/dewinterized as needed inroute - I drained the fresh water tank used the blowout method (I don't inject with antifreeze other than the traps) using a battery-powered tire pump. Wasn't much of a hassel.
    After trying both with a tire pump and a compressor, I would not recommend the tire pump, especially since you are returning to Chicago in January. It took several minutes with the compressor to blow out all of the water completely. I was pretty amazed and realized that the you would half to pump the bike pump for more time than is practical to know you got it all out.

You can pick up a small air compressor that runs off your TV battery or get one that plugs into your 12v outlet on the T@b. These use quite a bit of juice, so if you use your TV, keep the TV running or if you use the 12v outlet, make sure you are on shore power. These are also nice for keeping your tires topped off easily as fewer gas stations seem to have air available these days. If you get one that does not have a way to control pressure, make sure you connect it to your water pressure regulator to the compressor hose and then blow out plug to the T@b. I use this compressor when I travel and picked up a longer hose and extra fittings, including one for filling the tires that has a tire gauge attached (very handy)

You should be able to pick up RV antifreeze at either a local Walmart or auto parts store. In the worst case scenario, either ask the campground or order via Amazon and they will, quite often, if you mark your shipping directions with your campsite number, deliver right to your site.

In these cases, it is always better safe than sorry. I have been watching Joe Bastardi's long range forecast and winter is going to flip from warm to cold in January as the El Nino begins to recede.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    So are you blowing out the lines and then using RV Antifreeze? Or suggesting RV Antifreeze as the other option?
  • Options
    Jenn - Had to laugh, you got me pictured out there playing stupid with a rubber ducky pump. I'm talking auto tire type pump - so, a mini compresser, just what you described. Was just trying to do a short post rather than a short story :-)
  • Options
    JacobyO - In my case, I drain the fresh water tank, hook up the tire pump - oooops, compressor - blow out the lines, add RV antifreeze to the trap in the sink and shower drain. I also pour some into the holding tanks so the dump valves don't freeze. I don't put any through the water lines - you'd then have a bigger job clensing the system when you wanted to use again.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Had to laugh, you got me pictured out there playing stupid with a rubber ducky pump. I'm talking auto tire type pump - so, a mini compresser, just what you described. Was just trying to do a short post rather than a short story :-)
    That is exactly what I was envisioning. :)
    JacobyO said:
    So are you blowing out the lines and then using RV Antifreeze? Or suggesting RV Antifreeze as the other option?
    I also blow out and add anti-freeze as @PXLateddescribed.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    I just made the hand-pump and it is pretty awesome! Thanks for pointing it out Rakity. Thanks to you all for the info and tips. I am gonna look for a compressor this week since I don't have enough time to order before leaving.