Options

SOLAR - Suitcases, Self Contained

13»

Comments

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Point taken... mine were 1/4 going rate as well. (what is CL)?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    mash2 said:
    Point taken... mine were 1/4 going rate as well. (what is CL)?
    Craig's List, Mash.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    For those of you looking for high quality longer wire for your solar panels - this is what I am using.  However when I bought it was only $80.http://www.amazon.com/Ancor-120905-Electrical-Standard-8-Gauge/dp/B000NV2ATU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450659729&sr=8-2&keywords=8+gauge+marine+grade+wireJohn

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you have a Zamp, landscape lighting wire matches it exactly.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited December 2015
    This is the wire that I used.  It is 8 gauge copper, but is not tinned like the marine grade wire, and I had to tape the two together.  It is, however, less than $1.00 per ft.  If I had it to do over, I would just buy the wire already made up with the mc4 connectors already installed since I don't plan to make extremely long runs.

EDIT:  Search Amazon for RPR825 and RPB825.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Yep - Kind of a pain making one's own.
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    I can't find the male and female Zamp plugs for the extension. Can someone post a link?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Bert - Got mine on Amazon - Here's the 10 gauge version (they have 12 also) ...
    http://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Quick-Disconnect-Harness/dp/B0057ZQJ12/ref=pd_bxgy_422_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1M4110DMXAB1Q4R0RTXT
    Gives you two plugs, cut and splice wire inbetween and you've got yourself and extension cable.
    You might order an extra in case tha little silver tip breaks off like mine did when I tripped on the cable and yanked it out.
  • Options
    The new 150ah battery came today to pair up with the new Renogy suitcase.  I had to buy a new battery box, which isn't tall enough, but I'll make it work.  They delivered the battery on a 53' semi--really.  It weighs 94 lbs.  Getting close to my weight limit on the tongue because I already moved my spare up there.

There's no way I can describe how difficult it was to lift a 94 lb. battery (that had no handles) over the LP cover and place it in the box.  Not to mention that I had installed the new battery box too far back to get the battery into it, so I had to lift the battery back out, move the box and do the whole thing over.  Neck and back is letting me know already how dumb it was to try this by myself, but it's done, and tomorrow I can start making the connections and installing the new battery cutoff switch.  If everything goes well and the sun comes out, I'll hook up the suitcase to it and see what happens.  Fingers crossed.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Larry! Be careful there. I replaced the propane cover with a diamond-plate box and just my puny group 24 was a pain to lift into the new bin (about 3" higher than old propane cover - sewer hoses fit perfectly now). That was just 48#!!!!! /concerned nag off. *hugs and some hot/cold packs*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    And I Thought my 67 lb 6 volt golf cart batteries were heavy!

Larry, my diamond plate tub is moved forward just a bit because the batteries had to be put in the battery boxes before I lowered them into the tub, since they wouldn't fit with the boxes already in the tub. At least the battery boxes had handles on them. 

We must be really dedicated to what we want in camping to go through these exercises in physical strength that we really don't have!  We obviously have perserverance! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:

Larry, my diamond plate tub is moved forward just a bit because the batteries had to be put in the battery boxes before I lowered them into the tub, since they wouldn't fit with the boxes already in the tub. At least the battery boxes had handles on them. 
    Yep, I just didn't think to allow for the curve/protrusion in the front of the T@B.  I couldn't move the bracket since it is welded, but I had placed treated lumber in the bracket, so the box was just screwed to the wood.  I had to move the box forward and angle it to make it fit.  This means the box is over the edge a little at the corners, but I think it will be OK.  Going to take a closer look at it today to be sure as it got dark on me yesterday.  Next time I need to do any major arranging in that area, I'll be putting in a larger tub first.

BTW, really sore this morning, but I'm able to move about, so maybe there's no major damage.  About ready to get back at it.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    RZRBUG said:
    The new 150ah battery came today to pair up with the new Renogy suitcase.  I had to buy a new battery box, which isn't tall enough, but I'll make it work.  They delivered the battery on a 53' semi--really.  It weighs 94 lbs.  Getting close to my weight limit on the tongue because I already moved my spare up there.

There's no way I can describe how difficult it was to lift a 94 lb. battery (that had no handles) over the LP cover and place it in the box.  Not to mention that I had installed the new battery box too far back to get the battery into it, so I had to lift the battery back out, move the box and do the whole thing over.  Neck and back is letting me know already how dumb it was to try this by myself, but it's done, and tomorrow I can start making the connections and installing the new battery cutoff switch.  If everything goes well and the sun comes out, I'll hook up the suitcase to it and see what happens.  Fingers crossed.
    Larry, What brand battery did you get? I am looking at the Trojan and the Vmaxtanks agm and have no idea which would be better. They both weigh in at 90+ lbs. No way I would attempt to install one of these alone.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    John, I looked at those as well, but finally decided on the Lifeline GPL-30HT.  I found it listed at a couple of sites that seemed not to want do business with me.  Don't know why unless it was the shipping hassle.  Finally found this site, ordered it, and had it in about three business days.  The price was a bit more, but shipping was free, and when you're talking about shipping a 94 lb. battery that can be substantial.

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/lifeline-gpl-30ht-deep-cycle-agm-battery-gpl-30hxt

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Dat be an expensive battery.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Dat be an expensive battery.
    Yes, but from shopping around, it appears that quality 6V AGM batteries that add up to same amp hours will run about the same.  Plus, that price included shipping.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map