Can I tow a small trailer with a motorcycle?

Triglider1Triglider1 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in Trailer & Towing
Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I'm researching to see if I can tow a small camper with a Harley Trike. I have a 2011 Triglide. I plan on going long distance. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My RV dealer had a trike on display that was hooked to a towable small, pod-looking camper (apologies, can't rem name of camper or Trike). It wasn't a Harley Trike and my salesman might have mentioned the trike had some mods to improve stopping and handling when towing the tiny pod camper. The H-D forums state that Harley has NO towing capacities listed for their bikes and owner assumes all liability - the main warnings are being able to stop, jack-knifing and having the trike engine already at near pulling capacity when the bike is fully loaded.

Doing a little research, I found this product: http://www.bushtec.com/fckimages/2011-Harley-Davidson-Tri-Glide-Installation-Guide-Bushtec-Motorcycle-Trailers.pdf

It sure has an awful lot of warnings in all different colors. It does state the tongue weight limit is 70 lbs for the 2011 stock H-D trike and towing capacity is 350 lbs. The H-D forums are full of warnings and "at your own risk"

Hope this helps!! I'm waffling between having my Softail Deluxe shipped to and from major events, or get a Rampage Ramp and haul her myself while I pull the T@B.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I've seen it. A campground neighbor of mine was towing a very small (possibly homemade) teardrop camper with late-model Goldwing (non-trike). If I remember correctly, it was just about big enough for one person to crawl in to sleep. I might have a pic somewhere--I'll try to find it and figure out how to post it.

On a related note, there are small pop-up type campers that are frequently pulled with motorcycles.

Not saying that it should be done, mind you, just that it is--and with regular bikes, not just trikes. If you haven't done so already, you should float your question on some of the HD or Wing boards.

I'm pretty sure nobody's pulling a T@B with a bike, but there was a funny post a while back of someone who liked to park their bike in front of the camper so they could be entertained by all the puzzled looks and comments. :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Have seen several bike/popups in campgrounds - especially when I was in the Sturgus area - Wonder why that was ;-)
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Trailmaster Inc. com sells really nice pop-up tent campers made for motorcycle towing. They are in the Chicago area and sell factory direct. They make a very nice trailer, use to have one, Really enjoyed it.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @Triglider1
    - Welcome! I believe you want something like the MyPod made by Little Guy http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=37&model=MyPod-Max

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited December 2015
    I've been distracted a lot today and the shiny trikes have always been intriguing. I learned from the HD and general Trike forums that the braking capacity and weight load have improved significantly in the HD's from the yr 09 to 16's. I also read a suggestion that practicing emergency braking while towing 350# is sound, practical advice. From all the solicited advice I've read, those that tow do so within their comfort level of riding. YMMV (Pun intended :) !). Whatever you decide to do, I hope you stay around here and post picts and stories of your adventures! I think it's finally time for me to break out the heated gear and go for a ride in the country this weekend.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    That pict gave me my morning smile! Thanks blue!!
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015
    Piece a cake!  ;)

Attached Image
    3.jpg 64.5K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    At the 2011 big Indiana Tearjerker rally, someone was pulling a teardrop with a Goldwing
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL