Options

Battery and Charging System Monitor

Anyone have recommendations for the most accurate battery and charging system monitors? Don't know much about this stuff yet...but, then, that's why you wonderful folks are here for....

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think you could go with a Xantrex, Bogart Engineering , or Victron, and they would all be comparable. I installed a Visteon BMV-700. You can read about choice and installation here.

So far, I am very pleased. I am hoping to add the Bluetooth module this year.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Many (most probably) of us just use a little monitor that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug above the counter...Similar to this...

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Many (most probably) of us just use a little monitor that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug above the counter...Similar to this...

Since @Sebenius asked for the most accurate, I want to point out that although the cigarette style works for a lot of people, they are not the most accurate. You really need a hard-wired monitor with a shunt if accuracy is very important to you. The cigarette styles are close and many people benefit from using them but they don't necessarily display the current state of charge unless you turn off everything drawing energy or anything that might be supplying a charge to the battery. The questions are how important is accuracy and what are you willing to spend?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited January 2016
    Agree with Jenn that if you're one that needs certainty, a system like hers is what you'd need. A lot also depends on the type of camping you do, what energy systems you have. For instance, I have 120 watts of solar charging my small group 24 battery every day and over the 15 months of full-timing it I can generally count on having 12.5/12.4 at midnight with heat, fridge, bench lights running after dark and awake to 12.2. Even though not as accurate, good enough for my monitoring. If I wanted more margin, I could install a larger group 27 battery. Now, on the other hand, if you don't have solar and wanted to boondock for days, you may want to know exactly what your battery situation is.
    Note-1: Every once in awhile I'll have an anomoly day - all remains the same except my meter readings may be lower - 12.2 down to 11.9 - the next day everything is back to normal. Since nothing has changed in my routine, have never been able to figure out what the deal is. Not sure Jenn's system would give me an answer though.
    Note-2: I don't have the media package - Watch/listen to things via computer/iPad - so don't have any of that draw.
  • Options
    I wrote up a post about determining your power needs before taking the plunge into solar or beefing up your battery. The moral of the story: figure out your camping style and needs before you get too concerned.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited January 2016
    My Trimetric system consists of a controller and charger (they pair nicely together) and is made by Bogart Engineering (http://www.bogartengineering.com/content/solar-charger). They have a lot of FAQs that may help you understand your needs.  They also list distributers on their website, but many are small biz's and a few haven't survived the recession. The cost for charger, controller, wire and shunt ran me around $300-350. Install instructions were accurate and easy to follow.

I really like Jenn's Victron setup and she explains her install beautifully. Because I'm bothered by LEDs of any color (Trimetric's display LED is RED.. ugh), I installed my monitor inside the sink cabinet (no, it's not so bright the cabinet glows red LOL). I believe Jenn told me her backlight can be turned off (yay for Victron!). Hindsight is 20-20, you know. I think I'd go with Jenn's controller and charger set up if I did it all over (not that Trimetric is any less accurate or rated differently - Jenn's just looks classier).

Please read Jenn's write up. Even this old dog learned new things and I've been installing solar on campers since prices dropped dramatically at the end of 2009. At that time, finding all the information that Jenn has put together was a chore and hard to tease out the Internet junk from "Just the Facts, Ma'am".

Just to repeat Jenn: "figure out your camping style and needs [first]". 

Edited to add: Thank you again Jenn, PXL and all who have contributed to the T@B solar solutions!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    . Because I'm bothered by LEDs of any color (Trimetric's display LED is RED.. ugh), I installed my monitor inside the sink cabinet (no, it's not so bright the cabinet glows red LOL). I believe Jenn told me her backlight can be turned off (yay for Victron!). Hindsight is 20-20, you know. I think I'd go with Jenn's controller and charger set up if I did it all over (not that Trimetric is any less accurate or rated differently - Jenn's just looks classier).

@Ratkitythe LED can be set to turn off after a few seconds and that's how I have mine.