Options

New to the forum and to the Tab world

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
edited February 2016 in Introductions
Hi all,

My wife and i have been tent camping for over 40 years.  This year we decided to move to a camper.  (She is tired of the ground and also wants a bathroom -  grin)  Our last time at a campground, we saw a Vestibule teardrop and really liked it.  Made in Minn, it looked well built, but the size proved too small for us.  I'm tired of putting on my clothes lying down...  We went to the shows, and saw a lot of medium and big sized units.  And I mean big!   I live in Appleton WI, south of Green Bay, and had to see a doc in Madison.  We stopped at a RV place and they had a red/white T@b Max S.  Love at first sight.  We put some money down with the rest to follow in a week or so.  The dealer said he'd store it till Spring.. 

In the meantime, we have discovered, like everyone else, that it won't fit in the garage..  Oh well.  Now we are looking at places we can park it.  So far the best has been a place 3 miles away that will charge 200 for 6 months, or 375 for the year..

Next, I'm starting to read all these posts and copy and paste the good ones to print out.  Also have been hitting YouTube for info...  I'm learning about all the new stuff I have to buy, water press. Regulators, wheel and hitch locks etc.  My wife wants to make covers for the cushions and find a good pad.  I see discussions on all of this.  

Anyway,  I'm 63 and my wife is a very young 61.  I'm a history buff and my wife is a good natured fellow traveler in my visits to these places.  Just want to say hi from the cold snowy state of Wisconsin... though not as much snow as they are getting out East right now... Glad we were there last Spring.

Terry

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Welcome and you'll find many like tent-campers who have found the T@b a great way to enjoy the outdoors still when our bodies simply don't want to endure sleeping on the ground any more. We just got our T@b this past summer, and have loved every minute. The only reason we're not at T@bazona is that we are literally towing the T@b to our new home in Dallas this weekend.

happy camping!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Welcome, from up the road in Sturgeon Bay.
    My wife and I retired to here from the Madison area, stayed in Door County a couple of weeks during the summer and decided this is where we wanted to live in WI for health insurance purposes.  

We rent an apartment, so we store our T@B Max-S in a 10 x 20 storage unit for $68 a month.  We are starting our third season this year.

Our plans are 2 weeks in the Blackhills, 1 week Boulder Junction, 3 weeks in Glacier National Park and Yellowstone.

We came from the opposite direction, 21 foot class C motorhome to 27 foot class A motorhome to 24 class C diesel Sprinter motorhome. 13 years with motorhomes.

You will like your trailer, tows like a dream.  We tow ours with a 4 dr Jeep Wrangler.  Just curious, did you buy your unit at Jerry's Camping in Madison?

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Just an additional note, we did tent camp for 20 years when took our trips by motorcycles.  So, we weren't always spoiled.
  • Options
    Yes we did.  I had no good/bad stories about them.  I liked the sales guy.  Their shop is really old school.  They have a large collection of coleman lanterns hanging from the ceiling and a sort of jumbled atmosphere, like the old tv repair shops where only the owner knew where that "part" or tube was..  He talked me into a solar panel.  We were told we needed a wiring rig, for the brakes, on our car.  We can get it done somewhere, or they will put it in when go to get the trailer and get a 2 hour walk about.  I will quite a binder by then, I am sure...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Welcome, and congrats,Terry! FYI, my dealer included a free water pressure regulator. Different dealers throw in different extras. The shop at my dealer felt more like a warehouse (albeit small) than shop. :) Amazon has been my friend.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2016

And so it begins.. We sent off the check and it has been cashed.  It is still 100 miles away..  And yet... Packages like these are starting to arrive on our doorstep... Someone has been shopping....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LOL Terry. Many of us got a wee overzealous in our fun purchases. The veterans say to wait until your baby arrives.. butbut... I COULDN'T HELP IT! The T@B made me do it. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Terry V6 Congrats and welcome. We are young 70 & 65 and both of us love history and travel to history sites.Things showing up via UPS will never stop !! We have only had ours since last Sept. but love her. We have added the Lagun Table that you may have rear about and its really open up the area and provides location options; added bed slat supports and use the new table in lieu of slats at night; added the Aluminum Platform that comes on the Outback ourselves along with a storage box. 
    We also have to store in a lot 15 minutes from home at $40.00 month.
    Enjoy your new T@B and especially this site. Keeps us posted on your travels
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Welcome aboard Terry and it sounds like you are beginning an adventure that will not only enhance your camping experience, but also create some life long memories and happiness.  There is a wealth of talent spread among this group and people are here to help out and offer up tips that will make your T@B your little home on wheels and comfort zone.  

Remember too that when you find a discussion or tip that you find valuable and would like to save, all you need to do is "click on the star" at the top of the discussion and this will save it to your "favorites" and you can access them later by clicking on the "star above your screen name."  

Happy trails and post up some photos of that new trailer when it comes in!  Have fun greeting the UPS man too!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2016
    Welcome a d congrats, Terry! Bummer on the parking. I am able to park my T@b in my back yard, fortunately. It isn't visible from the street and I don't use my backyard because there is no privacy, so it worked out. Some locals use storage in old mines and have found it quite affordable and they have natural climate control. I think @PITPATuses one, if I am not mistaken.

I know it sounds strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_gTbs75Zk

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Terry V6 Congrats and welcome. We are young 70 & 65 and both of us love history and travel to history sites.Things showing up via UPS will never stop !! We have only had ours since last Sept. but love her. We have added the Lagun Table that you may have rear about and its really open up the area and provides location options; added bed slat supports and use the new table in lieu of slats at night; added the Aluminum Platform that comes on the Outback ourselves along with a storage box. 
    We also have to store in a lot 15 minutes from home at $40.00 month.
    Enjoy your new T@B and especially this site. Keeps us posted on your travels

Is your storage indoors or out?  We found a place to store outside for about $350 for the year...For you, If it is outside, do you use a cover....?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    Congratulations, Terry. You are going to have a blast!
    If you dive in to this forum you'll have plenty of knowledge by the time you're camping in the spring. There's so much good advice here. 
    As for storage, we rent a nearby lot in-season and move about an hour-and-a-half north in the winter where we get a terrific rate from a retired farmer who rents out space in his outbuildings.
    Maybe we'll see you at a midwest rally! We have family in nearby Neenah and make it up your way a few times a year.
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel