Options

Alde Question--Ground problem?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tipity Tap, Tipity Tap - What the heck?.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    longleafpinelongleafpine Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    Hello! Name is longleafpine from Western NC. We have a 2014 T@B Maxx S.  
    This is my first time with a unusual question concerning the Alde system. The system works perfectly on electric, but only if connected to the hitchball. Could this be a ground issue? 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2016
    Hi long leaf pine.

No, from my understanding of this kind of thing, that doesn't make sense at all! The trailer 120v shore power doesn't have anything to do with the tow vehicle or the hitch.

So you're saying that, when plugged into 'shore power', aka 120VAC house current, with the Alde control panel switched to the electricity mode, the Alde won't operate unless your Tab is hitched to your tow vehicle?

Does the seven pin connector need to be connected also?

Can you please tell us the positions of all the Alde control panel switches?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I didn't think Pine trees had leaves?

I agree with Chan, it doesn't make sense. Can you post a picture of your control panel settings?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Chan - Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have to plug in to TV
                 My T@B is stored in a barn, 180 miles away in Central SC,
    So I cannot take a control photo. However the setting is on 2 elec bolts, next slot on elec., third slot on heat and hw, and dial on 3.
    jkjenn - longleafpine refers to the extra long pine needles or straw
                  Specific to this ancient species. These needles are most popular for mulching and landscaping in the South. Thanks for bo
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Longleafpine, your settings are correct for connecting to 110V electricity.  But, truly, your Tow Vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with this operation.  Your Tow Vehicle can only provide 12V and the ground for the DC power, not the power or ground for the AC power.

If your propane tank is filled, try changing from the electric setting to the propane setting on the middle slide.  Does the Alde work then? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna,
    I have not tried the propane only, but will this week while in SC.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Longleafpine, your settings are correct for connecting to 110V electricity.  But, truly, your Tow Vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with this operation.  Your Tow Vehicle can only provide 12V and the ground for the DC power to charge the battery (if connected) and to the lights on the exterior of the T@B, not the power or ground for the AC power.

If your propane tank is filled, try changing from the electric setting to the propane setting on the middle slide.  Does the Alde work then? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm. Well, the only thing I can think might be happening is that perhaps the Alde system is depending on the tow vehicle's 12v power, for some reason.

The Alde needs 12v to operate in either shore power mode or propane mode, I think it still requires a 12v supply for its electronics. It normally will get that from the Tab's 12v system or its battery, but maybe you have a 12v fuse that's blown, or maybe the Tab's battery is dead or low.

I'd check fuses in the main breaker box, the in-line fuse in the wire next to the battery, and the Tab battery charge as a first step. 

It sounds like your panel settings are right.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW
    Looks like I have some detective work to do.
    Thanks for the guidance, I will post results. 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    How long has this problem been going on?   I have a 2015 T@B Maxx S and the grounding bar is located in the driver's side bench seat next to th ALDE.  I can see a ground wire (copper) coming up from the floor that I suspect is grounded to the frame.  If somehow the 12 volt ground was disconnected from the chassis ground you might well be running off the vehicle's ground or as Chan suggested it might be a battery problem and not enough voltage to operate the system.  

Is the trailer plugged into shore power now and is the battery being maintained from a battery tender?  How old is your trailer and does the battery have a shutoff switch installed to isolate it from the trailer wiring when not in use?  Your trailer battery will discharge even when it is isolated from the trailer and will be completely drained by the trailer components (e.g., LED circuits, TV/stereo unit, etc.) if the battery fuse isn't removed or the battery isolated via a shutoff switch.  I would take some voltage readings, check the grounding bar in the bench seat area, electric converter/ALDE fuses and go from there.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    iz6iz6 Member Posts: 15
    I was having the same/similar issue as @longleafpine. Would love to know how he/she fixed it..

Here were my symptoms:

-Alde did not run when T@B not connected to TV
    -Alde did not run when T@B only connected to ball hitch
    -Alde did not run when T@B only connected to 7pin
    -Alde runs fine when T@B connected to ball hitch AND 7pin

And yes, the battery had plenty of juice (checked with voltmeter) and propane was flowing (checked with the stove).

To make a long story short, one of the fuses on the Alde was blown. Why didn’t I check sooner? Because I had just replaced it a fews days before!

Anyhow, why would it run at all with a blown fuse, when T@B and TV were connected?

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    The two fuses protect the two legs (+ and -) of the Alde's 12V power supply. Since 12V is required to run the Alde's electronics (among other things), it doesn't make any sense that it would run at all with a blown fuse.

Maybe--and this is just a SWAG--your Alde is somehow shorting to ground on the chassis, thus completing the circuit when your TV is hooked up. I'm not even sure if that's possible, though...
    2015 T@B S