Options

Westinghouse WH2400i generator review

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
So this is a preliminary review, and I plan on updating it as I use it, and if there any issues I'll post back here.

Just got the Westinghouse WH2400i yesterday.  Got it unpacked,  added oil and gas, and started within 30 minutes of opening the box. Everything about it looks like nice quality.  WH brags that it is easy to start, and I have to say I was impressed.  With no priming,  I pulled the choke out,  pulled the cord and the pull was so easy I only pulled it about half way and it started to kick over.  But alas  I stopped short.  The easy effort had surprised me so I stopped the pull.  One more easy pull and off it went.   I brought the wife out to check it out, and in eco mode we could stand right on top of it and speak normally.   Turning eco mode off brought the rpm's up quite a bit, and made us want to move a few feet away, but it was a smooth noise that wasn't aggravating.  I've heard a lot of generators with a real grating noise that would drive me crazy, but this isn't one of them.

A friend was really pushing us to get the Honda,  but the $400 we're saving on this over the Honda goes a long way to outfitting the T@b with bike racks, sewer hoses, and all the other things on Jenn's list.

I plan on breaking it in this weekend and heating the T@b so I can hang outside with it, which brings me to a question.

Do you normally stay on battery power until you're at 50% before starting your generator, or do you just start using it and keep the battery fully charged?  Any idea how long it takes the generator to take a group 24 from 50% to full charge?  I plan on reporting back with my experience, but was wondering what others have found.

Edited to add:  The fuel cap is right on top, so it wasn't too difficult to add fuel with a partially full gas can, but with a full one will have to use a funnel, and not sure it's going to be easy to fuel up.  Saw this complaint in another review as well, so it's probably a valid issue.
2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    db_cooper said:
    I plan on breaking it in this weekend and heating the T@b so I can hang outside with it, which brings me to a question.

Do you normally stay on battery power until you're at 50% before starting your generator, or do you just start using it and keep the battery fully charged?  Any idea how long it takes the generator to take a group 24 from 50% to full charge?  I plan on reporting back with my experience, but was wondering what others have found.

I am so glad you did a review! Well done! What altitude are you at, @db_cooper? Did you try to start the a/c off of the generator power?

I think the questions about waiting or letting it run is going to be situational. Most of the time, if it were me, I would probably wait until the battery is run down to near 50%. Are you going to be using solar, at all? I will, eventually, get a generator, but would still like to use solar as the main means of keeping the battery charged and save the generator to run the a/c or charge when solar has been effective due to days of cloud cover. Times when you might want to charge the battery below 50%:
    • When you are limited to using the generator to certain hours,
    • When you anticipate a bigger battery draw (going to watch a movie with the fan on, for example)
    • Maybe if you are pulling out that day and your next stop doesn't allow generator use or is somewhere like a Walmart overnight parking stop.
    @Pxlated would probably give you some good tips on this.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As I've mentioned, I run mainly on solar so I have less of a routine using the generator for any kind of extended period. And I don't have the multi-media package so I have no idea what radio/tv draws. So much depends on what you're running.
    In general though I fire up the gen when my battery goes below 12.2 on my meter. What surprises me is how long the battery monitor will just sit on 12.2. Depending on where my meter's sitting I may fire it up for an hour in the evening and again in the morning to get the battery back to full.
    If I'm in photo editing mode and need to keep the computer charged I may run it more.
    Have only hit hot temps 2-3 times where I needed the A/C and have run the generator for hours.
  • Options
    Thanks both for the tips.  Right now the T@b is parked at sea level on Puget Sound.  But we do plan on using it in the mountains here, but rarely above 4000 ft.  Probably won't test the AC since it's cold out, but don't expect to have an issue even if the generator puts out less than advertised. 

We might add solar in the future, but being in the PNW with lots of shady campsites figured we'd get a generator first.  I expect to use the heat and the TV/Jensen in the evenings, so I expect to use the generator to keep the battery topped up.  Figured if we don't use it much camping it's still nice to have to run our home fireplace fan and TV during power outages.

• Options
    Will do, Boo.

Ran the generator for a few hours today,  running the Alde on Eco mode it kicked the RPM's up a bit from idle, but less than when you switch it to normal mode.   With the Alde still running,  I turned on the A/C for a bit and it had no trouble at all with starting it up. Before I put it away I took a pic of it on the platform.  Haven't checked to see if they have a metal handle insert available yet like the Honda,  hoping thieves will be snobs and looking for red generators. :)

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Nice!  I just got this same generator but haven't tried it out yet.  Glad to know it runs the AC.  Please keep us posted on your experiences with it.  Thanks!
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I am looking at potential generators to buy. Not sure yet I need one, but doing the research anyway. Saw a review on this generator at Amazon that said the inverter generated much more EMF (Radio Frequency) noise that interfered with radio reception that the Honda. Anyone have any experience with this aspect of generator technology and usage in the RV world?

Fergie

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    edited February 2016
    db-cooper Any concerns with exhaust from the generator running on the door side of the T@B vs the other away from close openings. We are thinking of putting our Honda on the drivers side, would be interested in your experiences
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    J&K,  not planning on running it there,  not even sure I'm going to transport it there,  just wanted to show that it fits, and give it some scale.  I most likely will carry it in the TV, and put rubbermaid containers on platform.

Fergie, had not heard of that issue,  next time I hook it up I'll try the radio and TV,  didn't even think about it.  Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me,  I plan on just using it to top off the battery for and hour or two each night.  I had it 40 feet from the T@B when I ran it,  so I'll move it closer and around when I do check it.

• Options
    Just a note: Find my generator positioned at the rear of the T@B more than the front.  Usually have front window and door open when nice. Do try to position with the wind in mind though.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2016
    PXLated said:
    Just a note: Find my generator positioned at the rear of the T@B more than the front.  Usually have front window and door open when nice. Do try to position with the wind in mind though.
    Man, I must have just missed the front window open upgrade. Bummer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Wasn't expecting it on mine (2015), dealer was surprised also.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    edited February 2016
    DB-Cooper: Thanks  sorry for the double post when I opened it this am my original one was not there. We plan on using our at Walmarts or Flying J rest stops for overnights for battery and 110 stuff we have plus ac.
    Thanks again
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    DB-Cooper: Thanks  sorry for the double post when I opened it this am my original one was not there.
    FIXED!   ;)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ