Options

Wind Storms

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
Western Arizona is really getting hit by high winds.  Near Yuma, I'm getting hit by 26 mph winds, with gust of 45 mph, with forecasted wind speeds in excess of 50 mph after midnight.  WOW!  Luckily, I'm being hit in the rear and driver's rear corner by the winds, not broadside like my friends in their 13' fiberglass camper.  I had dinner in their camper, so I know their camper is moving just like my T@B is.  

I am not hitched to the truck as I normally would be because that would make me unlevel.  I have the stabilizers down tight (as I normally would do).  Everything that is out is nailed down, clamped down or put back in the truck.  

Poor Sunny Day has jumped into my arms a couple of times when the sand hit the rear of the T@B.  She's sure not leaving my side--she's almost pushing me, she's so tight to my side.  

All I have to say is, even if you're used to tornadoes and high winds as I am, it's a whole different experience in the T@B.  At Least there's no trees around like there would be at home.    
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    Western Arizona is really getting hit by high winds.  Near Yuma, I'm getting hit by 26 mph winds, with gust of 45 mph, with forecasted wind speeds in excess of 50 mph after midnight.  WOW!  Luckily, I'm being hit in the rear and driver's rear corner by the winds, not broadside like my friends in their 13' fiberglass camper.  I had dinner in their camper, so I know their camper is moving just like my T@B is.  

I am not hitched to the truck as I normally would be because that would make me unlevel.  I have the stabilizers down tight (as I normally would do).  Everything that is out is nailed down, clamped down or put back in the truck.  

Poor Sunny Day has jumped into my arms a couple of times when the sand hit the rear of the T@B.  She's sure not leaving my side--she's almost pushing me, she's so tight to my side.  

All I have to say is, even if you're used to tornadoes and high winds as I am, it's a whole different experience in the T@B.  At Least there's no trees around like there would be at home.    
    I rode out a pretty solid wind storm in Ridgway (35-55mph), this year. It took a lot of the leaves off of the trees. I did not have the Tab hitched, either and with the stabilizers down, it help pretty secure. It is loud, though!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes, Jenn, it is loud.  Someone about 500' from me has a tarp covered arch tent that is flapping in the wind something fierce!  It sounds like a Jeep that is doing about 55 mph on a gravel road.  I think that was part of what was scaring Sunny Day.  She seems to be getting used to it.  I hadn't been using the Alde until morning lately, but I think I'll be turning it on before laying down--it's cooling down quickly.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Yes, Jenn, it is loud.  Someone about 500' from me has a tarp covered arch tent that is flapping in the wind something fierce!  It sounds like a Jeep that is doing about 55 mph on a gravel road.  I think that was part of what was scaring Sunny Day.  She seems to be getting used to it.  I hadn't been using the Alde until morning lately, but I think I'll be turning it on before laying down--it's cooling down quickly.
    I pulled down my Visor when the winds kicked up. It was something to wrangle it down!

Sounds like Sunny Day will be snuggling close to keep you warm, too. Stay safe!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Verna - was just awakened by the same storm you experienced. Wow! So glad you are safe and Sunny Day is there to protect you. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    She be a rockin and a rollin over this whole area.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Man, PXL mentions 50 mph winds casually and THEN it's when Verna posts I get the TRUTH! ;) To be honest, I hate wind storms. I was in my old popup in Houston, TX. I was sleeping in the double bed at one end and had a couple of friends on the queen-sized end. We had 4 big dogs between us. I was AFRAID to get out of bed and pee in the middle of the night because I was convinced that if I moved, the popup would start moving too because my weight was holding it down. Crazy, yes, well... irrational sleepy minds aren't normal (well.. then add my version of "normal"). 

I won't even tell you about the 3 story beach house that rocked (it's supposed to do that in high winds) and holding onto the bed for dear life. Nothing like feeling like you have the bed spins and you don't even drink! 

Then there is our calm PXL ;) Luv ya dude, but the story's out! Sunny Day has told us all the real deal. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Only casually because I've been thru it several times now - Verna's a virgin :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    First OutbackAZ and now you, PXL? UGH... must.stop.sipping.coffee.and.reading.posts.here. *wipes screen* ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sunny Day and I survived.  Sunny Day stayed so close I was sleeping partway on the bench, without a mattress, and partway on the mattress.  WOW! It's still blowing, but nothing like last night.  I can still see the sand in the wind in the distance, so it will stay around for a while today.  Lucky me to schedule Sunny Day's grooming and some shopping for today.  I'd rather stay here.  I'll be betting there won't be many people passing on the two lay state highway today!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ain't even a whisper of breeze here this morning - Amazing how it can change so fast. Rockin-n-rollin to dead still.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Hang in there you AZ visitors. Will gradually get warmer and nicer - by the weekend back to the 70's I believe. Even in my duplex the wind woke me up last night so I can't imagine being in the T@B - guess my time will come sometime! 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    FYI, the wildflowers are amazing in Death Valley this year courtesy of El Nino.

• Options
    PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    It was definitely rockin n rollin in Craggy Wash near Lake Havasu last night. Yikes!  Several members of Sisters On The Fly were camping nearby so we pulled our small trailers and tv's in an old fashioned wagon train circle (trailers nose to the wind) and hunkered down. It was like being rocked in a baby's cradle...only noisy with howling wind. More of same expected tonight. Hopefully February will be kinder to us Snowbirds!
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    PitPat - Heard they had snow in Lake Havasu City - Any in/around Craggy?
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Curious how the T@bs weathered the sand blasting,  especially the windows.  Any visible damage?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I've never had any. - Have found that the heavy sand seems to stay low. Had my solar lights blasted up outside Page - turned the globes from clear to frosted on one side. No damage to the Zamp unit or the T@B
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    No damage to the T@B.  A couple of scratches on the rear passenger door of the Tacoma from the power cord to the ARB.  It is now repositioned so it will not swing against the door (1st time in 2 1/2 years that has happened). 

Oh yeah, the T@B and the Tacoma needs a bath really, really badly!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    jkjenn said:
    FYI, the wildflowers are amazing in Death Valley this year courtesy of El Nino.

Jenn - I suspect we'll have a great wildflower season. Told Wanderoo we have to go hiking in Mid March --- they can be magnificent and with all the rains I bet it'll be a super show!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Glad to hear the T@bs are OK, and y'all too of course. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Here in the west, high winds and huge gusts are pretty common. When I first moved to UT, I found my 200b grill in the neighbor's yard after such a wind. We now have it tied down. Hesitated about buying the XL visor because we didn't want to spend a lot of time taking it down and putting it back up due to the winds. We will see how it works out for us. Glad you Snowbirds weathered the storm.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho