Options

Solar Reflectors?

Have seen this several times - Can't see where it'd make much difference on a nice, bright sunny day. Any value to it on a marginal day?

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Following --- wonder....
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    OutbackAZ said:
    I believe this is how the Pod People receive communications from their Mother Ship.
    Would that be the R Pod people? :s
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

JustJohn said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    I believe this is how the Pod People receive communications from their Mother Ship.
    Would that be the R Pod people? :s

No JustJohn.  The "OTHER" pod people.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options

However, there is an uncanny similarity . . .

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ok, where are all the solar geniuses that can usually calculate everything to the nano watt hour?
  • Options
    They are already on the Mother Ship! 
    Seriously, what possible purpose is there for putting tinfoil in front of a solar panel?
    reflected sun is directed up and away?

• Options
    Don't have a clue, that's why I asked - Seen it several times - Thought maybe somebody knew something I didn't.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Back when I was working at a middle school, we participated in yearly Junior Solar Sprint competitions. Each team had the same solar panel and the same small electric motor, but everything else was up to the kids (and their coach) to design. We found that being able to tilt the solar panel --as opposed to being just flat on top of the model car-- did help, but the benefit wasn't worth the weight and complexity.

Bottom line, yes, it can help, but generally not worth the effort/expense. One other thing to keep in mind is the drop-off in efficiency as the solar panel gets hotter.

And yes, we did walk away with a large trophy on several occasions, covering 20 meters in less than 6 seconds from a dead start.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Sorry irvingj but these folks disagree with you about tilting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01A51L-5Vc
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    I find tilting and redirecting a couple times a day make a big difference. Still not sure about that reflector though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tilting has worked well for me. While I know it is better to redirect, sometimes I just don't remember to do it. As far as reflecting, it would take so many mathematical calculations to get the aim coordinated, that I would have left that campsite a week ago  B)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    I think I once read something about a magnifier helping solar. 

Like a giant Fresnel lens?

http://www.solarnovus.com/mirrors-vs-fresnel-lenses-for-concentrating-solar-power_N7202.html

Here's a video of a test a guy did: https://youtube.com/watch?v=5uGex_wGa7s

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sorry irvingj but these folks disagree with you about tilting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01A51L-5Vc
    Although there is some benefit to tilting, the largest benefit from tilting is gained when the sun's overhead angle is at the lowest position. For most locations in the lower 48, that would be during winter. Technomadia (Cherie and Chris) don't tilt because of the pain it is to climb the roof of their bus. They would agree that the gain, for them, isn't worth the effort. I redirect and tilt of I am around and have time but I have always added a little more wattage in my array to compensate for not always being able to tilt and redirect.

If your panels are positioned so that they are in shadow from other objects for part of the day and if the reflector filled in those shadows I can see there being some benefit, but reflected light is not as strong as direct light.

Just my 2 cents.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Very good video, nicely done.

Think I was having a senior moment… yes, I know tilting does work.

In our case(s), however, we all competed at the same time, late spring and early summer, so we didn't have such a low solar angle. Our competitions also took place late AM through noon to maximize what solar energy we did get, so the benefit from tilting wouldn't have been so pronounced.

Since our main goal was acceleration, weight became a major issue. Also, sometimes the track surface was a bit rough, so any mechanical complexities would quickly show up as "things that break." We therefore abandoned tilting, but I see now that was a lot different than the situations campers face.

I'm still new to camping with solar-- a completely different league than the little 12" panels we worked with! I still think, however, I'd stay away from reflectors. Thanks for the very informative video!

As a point of interest, here's a couple photos of one of our fastest cars ever. Covered the 20 meters in 5.5 seconds, designed and built by a team of 8th grade girls back in 1996. 
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

Would probably be tough to experiment with and without a reflector, given that no two days are exactly the same. I would think that if you are adding light to the panel, you would increase the output. It would depend on also having the reflector at the correct angles to reflect light onto the cells, not just randomly into the air. It would be like the heliostats (mirrors) pointing light onto the solar towers at the Ivanpah Solar Facility near the CA-NV border on I-15.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Would probably be tough to experiment with and without a reflector, given that no two days are exactly the same. I would think that if you are adding light to the panel, you would increase the output. It would depend on also having the reflector at the correct angles to reflect light onto the cells, not just randomly into the air. It would be like the heliostats (mirrors) pointing light onto the solar towers at the Ivanpah Solar Facility near the CA-NV border on I-15.

I think to really have a good grasp of there performance differentiators would be to use one of those meters designed to get a reading on solar panel performance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I don't think the reflector will work at all. I think the sun's rays will strike the reflector, and most of them will bounce off at a 90 degree angle, missing the solar panel entirely. That is assuming that the solar panel is oriented to face the sun directly.

On the other hand, someone who already has a solar panel with a controller that indicates power produced can check this in a couple minutes with a piece of aluminum foil!

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - Late afternoon / early morning when the angle is shallower they may hit - Still doesn't seem worth the hassel though.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Oh come on! I was hoping you'd run a test. After all, it's just a piece of tin foil :-) According to my calculations, though, as long as the solar panel is oriented facing directly towards the sun such that the sun's rays hit it perpendicularly, the reflector won't make any difference. I double dog dare you to prove me wrong.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    My solar works just fine without so was just curious - not curious enough to waste foil though...I need my foil for a hobo dinner :-)
    Watched a guy moving his panels and reflector around all day today.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hobo dinner lol - we used to call it "pocket stew". Ours was hamburger, use a potato peeler for taters, carrots (if you like them things), cut onion strips, some bread crumbs, a squirt of ketsup, a little salt and pepper - seal foil over top and roll ends - cool for 35-45 min in fire (depending on how big your "stew" was).

Solar.. um.. yeah.. I bet you could cook that in a reflector (solar) oven! (phew! stayed on topic... barely).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Miraculous on topic recovery there Ratkity :-)