Options

Honda: Generator - Neutral Bonding

2»

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2016
    Oh geesh, RZR, I saw that, but believed my portable genny's owners manual (stupid me).  My big genny I run for emergencies in the house (for sump pumps mainly, or I'd have flooded basement), has never needed a G-N plug. But then, this isn't technically a "portable" generator aimed at the RV market (i.e. it's heavier than sin). It's even hard to move with the tires inflated properly on a level surface. I've had that behemoth 13 yrs and it's run flawlessly. Thank you for the clarification. See? You folks are awesome. 

BTW, I never made it to the desert. I just read what Verna has already completed in her instructions so far - an impressive list!! Wish I was there too. Generator tests were done at 25F with a wind chill of 16F. 

Next test, the extended run gas tank (extra 5 gallons). 

RZR, did you read that the little portables need to be run more often than the behemoths if not being used regularly? I read somewhere varnish buildup is a problem in the little ones, but it was one source and haven't seen it anywhere else. I was searching on the little Hondas who were hard to pull-start occasionally. Mine is new and has always taken too many pulls to start (choke on, start switch on, eco off, gas cap on - all systems go). Since the service center is close, I'm going to bring it over there for them to work on if it continues. 

edited to add: You are a closet mad scientist, RZR. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Ratkity said:
    RZR, did you read that the little portables need to be run more often than the behemoths if not being used regularly? I read somewhere varnish buildup is a problem in the little ones, but it was one source and haven't seen it anywhere else. I was searching on the little Hondas who were hard to pull-start occasionally. Mine is new and has always taken too many pulls to start (choke on, start switch on, eco off, gas cap on - all systems go). Since the service center is close, I'm going to bring it over there for them to work on if it continues. 

Yes.  I don't know about other brands, but even if you run the Honda out of gas, a certain amount stays in the carburetor and can clog things up if left to stand a long time.  I run mine for a while about once a month to keep it cleaned out.  Also suggest that you use only non-ethanol gas as ethanol can damage small engines.  I also use a small amount of gasoline treatment (directions are on the bottle) in all fuel that I put in small engines like the generator, lawn mower, chain saw, etc.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A friend of mine had a very large Class A that was in storage.  When the husband left the marriage, it became her responsibility to "exercise the generator" every other week.  She religiously went to the storage unit every other Saturday, started the generator and ran it for a specified amount of time.  She sure was glad when she sold the RV.

At the phone company, we religiously tested our office generators once a month, under load (meaning everything in the central office was turned on that would normally be working), for a specified length of time.  We had checklists of what was done, the time, the meter readings, abnormalities, etc.  

So, yes, if it is important to the big guys to "exercise your generator" regularly, it makes sense that if you spend good money on a generator, then you should take care of it to make sure it works when you really, really need it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    T@Bnero. Just  bought the plug from Progressive. I like it better that the one I mad e as the top is sealed off...just thought I'd be extra cautious with Mr Zappy
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Dang! Now you've reminded me I'm needing to go out and 'exercise my generator'...

And it's 5 below zero out! Tractors wouldn't start, truck battery was dead, this will be a good test of that darn generator in extreme conditions. Just what I need.  :s

Verna said:
    A friend of mine had a very large Class A that was in storage.  When the husband left the marriage, it became her responsibility to "exercise the generator" every other week.  She religiously went to the storage unit every other Saturday, started the generator and ran it for a specified amount of time.  She sure was glad when she sold the RV.

At the phone company, we religiously tested our office generators once a month, under load (meaning everything in the central office was turned on that would normally be working), for a specified length of time.  We had checklists of what was done, the time, the meter readings, abnormalities, etc.  

So, yes, if it is important to the big guys to "exercise your generator" regularly, it makes sense that if you spend good money on a generator, then you should take care of it to make sure it works when you really, really need it. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Not to make anyone worry, but a wet-cell lead battery that has less than a 40% State-of-Charge will freeze at 0 F (-17.8 C) and fully discharged batteries will freeze at approximately 20 F (-6.7 C). Don't ever try to jump start a frozen battery. The electrolytes change state when frozen and the battery can explode if you try to boost it. You can let it thaw and then put it on a charger.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)