Options

What is a fair offer for a new T@B at a dealer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Picking it up Saturday. Thank y'all
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    It "Spoke to you!" In addition to a very dependable adventure platform, you've now joined a wonderful community of LG enthusiasts.  Make sure your dealer shows you our secret handshake.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Oh, unfortunately, the silver and black models are prone to termite damage.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    GratonGraton Member Posts: 17
    I'm still debating t@b v. Truck camper and appreciate all the advice, but after reading through this thread on price, I'm wondering if the dealer in my area is high priced. They have about ten t@bs in stock and the Outback is priced at $26,295 - does that seem about right? They are not flying off the lot, is that just the time of year or are their prices high?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    Graton said:
    I'm still debating t@b v. Truck camper and appreciate all the advice, but after reading through this thread on price, I'm wondering if the dealer in my area is high priced. They have about ten t@bs in stock and the Outback is priced at $26,295 - does that seem about right? They are not flying off the lot, is that just the time of year or are their prices high?
    The fact that you are out to the furthest point in the US (the west coast) is going to impact and dictate your trailer pricing.  The dealers no doubt have a median price range, they pay for their trailers up front and also for transport/shipping costs out to their facilities so it's like anything else, whatever the market will bear will dictate how these units sell in various points within the continental US.  Imagine what one of these trailers would cost if it was built here and shipped down to Australia or over to Hawaii.  

I'm certainly not intending to sound gruff or sarcastic with my answer here, but this question does come up from time to time with new buyers looking for direction on (how best to purchase) what these units cost and there really is no one patented or correct answer here as a dealer can ask whatever they feel is a fair price (since they own the unit) and depending on what the individual unit has on it, pricing does tend to differ accordingly.  This is also true based on geographic positioning of a dealer in the US via shipping costs and distribution therein.  

If you look around the US and price out the T@B or Little Guy units you certainly will see a distinct difference in pricing.  I've always sailed via the old saying, "good things come to those who wait" and if you take your time, shop around and discuss your needs and economic situation with most dealers they may or may not have wiggle room.  But it doesn't hurt to ask as all anyone can say is no.  

Best of luck to you in your search!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike - I think I'm less looking for direction and more about getting a sense of what people are paying - hoping for an efficient marketplace where information is known by both buyers and sellers. At this point, I don't know how much distance plays into the cost of T@B is it a few hundred dollars or thousands, the latter seems very unlikely. Unlike car buying, in which information is transparent, this doesn't seem to be the case with T@Bs. In another thread I asked a person in CO how who had just bought an Outback how much they paid - about $21K, which is significantly less than the $26K my local dealer is asking, which leads to believe distance is not a factor. I'm in no rush, so I have time to research, which is what this thread was about - we lack a database of pricing.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There is one thing to consider when going away from your home area to buy. If you need warranty service performed, the selling dealer is the one you should contact. Most dealers have no interest in warranty servicing what they don't sell. I am vacationing in AZ and I had a long cnversation with a local LG dealer about needing some warranty work done, and he mentioned he normally only services what he sells. I am taking his first appointment and I'm very thankful that he is squeezing me in. 

So, if you buy from some distance away, you won't necessarily get a warm welcome for warranty work at your closest dealer. This cannot be compared to the automotive industry where warranty work can be done at any dealer of your make of vehicle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, that is a good point but given that these are meant to travel and if they need servicing it could often be on the road, you would hope that a dealer would service any T@B since a repair bill is still money earned regardless of where the owner purchased. I always thought warranty work was covered by the manufacturer and the dealer was reimbursed for the work performed. But maybe warranty work is more of a hassle for dealers than other know of work, so makes sense they would favor their own customers.

I did start looking around at neighboring states - NV, UT, OR, AZ, and southern CA to get a better sense of pricing and they all sell Outbacks (similarly configured) around $22K. Not sure why the Ukiah dealer is so much higher, but maybe they have a different business model.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    Can't answer that (why so much higher) but found out everything was a lot higher out in CA when I traveled up along the coastal highway about 4 years ago.   ;)

If something happens out on the road you could contact the factory via Ed Kauffman and they will do their best to help out with warranty repairs and hopefully it won't require major parts exchange or that does become an issue at times.  I've been to a few of these places out away from home and with the volume of traffic they had in their shop I was happy to get out without having any service work performed as the one place was swamped with people.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Mike - you are right about that - the only thing cheaper out here is fruits and veggies.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2016
    As the owner of a new GMC truck in MD, I can tell you that if you don't pay for the privilege, you get your vehicle's warranty issues serviced at the dealer you bought it from (don't believe it's limited to the state of MD, but outside of the state) - pay for an additional "extended warranty" package, you can get out-of-state warranty service. This could be a GMC thing, but I haven't bought a new vehicle since 2006 when you could take it anywhere. 

Ugh - hit enter too soon. The verbose (as per usual) point I was trying to make is that dealers lose money on labor with warranty issues and resist doing work from purchases from other dealers, especially in the RV/camper market. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Our dealer in WA has the Outback priced at 25k and they will only slightly deal with price.  They can't keep the T@B's on the lot they sell so quickly.  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sorry, I forgot to tell you a ballpark price in Northern MD. I'm not completely sure, but I vaguely remember baby sis' Outback price around $24k for the 2015.

Then the poor thing had to endure a bad water pump (just a bad batch), the stock table wasn't level in the "down" position (she used mine until she got a new one), the television went out, and then the refrig door hinges weren't seating the door properly. Add to that, the dealer's repair guy put a large table-edge-sized dent on the inside of the door and then denied doing it (might have been one more thing on the knock list, can't rem).

Seemed everything was going wrong, but there's a happy ending to the story! Because of the people and mods here and on other T@B groups, and knowing how responsive LG is to their customers, she was encouraged to call the factory. They told her to come on down!  So she took a road trip from MD to OH, met Ed K. (picts and she can prove it! LOL) and LG made it right to the nth degree - with kindness, empathy, professionalism, quality and pride in good work. I know she was fortunate to only have an 8+hr drive to the factory and be able to make the trip to bypass some shoddy work of one repair guy (not going to toast the entire dealership because of one person). That isn't in the cards for the majority of people. It just makes me love LG more *warm fuzzies and all*.  

This happened at the beginning of the 2015 camping season and the rest of the season was glorious. She glows when zombies stop by and out-competes Vanna White in pointing out features. I just sit in my chair next to her Outback (she cooks like PXL and feeds me). My T@bitha is usually in the next campsite, but she assures the zombies that the T@Bs are basically the same with different color schemes (eye roll from big sis), and continues the tour. Since I usually have a mouthful of food, I just smile and wave. So does her SO. Life is good.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2016
    Graton, A few T@B buyers have purchased, and picked up their trailer at the factory. Taking a vacation on the way back home. Takes a little planning, but the cheaper price may offset or pay for the trip. I would look for dealers inventory in other states, it may not be necessary to go to the factory if the price is right.

As for warranty services, the people at little guy are wonderful people to deal with and stand behind their product. I'm certain that they would help you with any warranty or dealer problems regardless of where you are.  
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    TrailsnailTrailsnail Member Posts: 21
    paid 20,500, in idaho for 2016 outback plus storage for 2 years
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TaBFan - Even if you pick up at the factory you still order from a dealer. My dealer gave me the option and once I calculated the delivery fee vs my travel costs it was a wash.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Totally different animal, but when I bought my Dutchmen off the lot in TN in 2007, list was in the 17K range, and folks out west (California, etc) were paying close to list. Mine was priced on the lot for $13,200 and I paid 12,800 (then paid another 500 in sales tax when I registered it at home).
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    Here in Wisconsin the prices seem a bit more reasonable last April we got a new 2014 Max Q for under 14K.  The same dealer has a 2016 Max S for under 19k.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    rorororo Member Posts: 7

If it helps anyone since I had the hardest time trying to figure out pricing myself.  I just bought a new Max-S with the front window option 2016.  At first my dealer said he could go no lower then the 'Special' RV show price of $19k', so I walked and told them give me a day or two to 'think' it over.  I walked out then called around several dealers until I found one that would give me a bottom price of $18k.

Well great price, but that dealer is 3 hours away and I really didn't want to go that far.  Called my dealer back told them I was about to drive to pick one up for 18k could they match it.  They came back with $17,900.

Of course to that I had to add tax, registration, but $17,900 was the 'Sales Price'.

• Options
    ARKtravelerARKtraveler Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2015 T@B Max S in December from small dealership in MO. I had first looked at it in October but didn't want to pay as mich as he was asking ($18k). Called to talk to dealer in December and he said he still had rhe MaxS on lot. Asked $16,500. I offered $16,000. Pock up next week!  I think I got a very good deal
  • Options
    WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    Last month bought a 2016 T@B Max CS-S with front window upgrade for $19,800 in FL. The List price was around $25K (right!) but they were offering it for $21,500.  I probably could've haggled a little harder, but I REALLY wanted this one that was in stock and I wanted it immediately. My bottom line was to get it under $20K so when they accepted my offer of $19,800 I bought it. 
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
    Our dealer gave us an order sheet with pricing for base packages and extras, and the final price was about $2,000 less than that.  No freight.  He initially wanted list price plus freight ($2,300!) but I had quotes from other dealers 3 and 8 hours away, so he matched.  We'll wait a little longer for the T@b but really wanted to buy from a local dealer.  I think everyone is happy.
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Price almost $5000 higher here in Northwest than Arizona for our '16 CS-S...being retired allowed us to enjoy the trip, even though trip ate up 50% of $5000.  
    I am betting I won't have a warranty problem.   
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited