Options

Am I too tall?

I am 6'1.5".  We went to dealer today and looked at 2016 T@B Max S.  Looks very good.  However, I cannot stand in the interior.  How have other taller guys or gals (i.e. > 6') enjoyed the max S?  Any ideas how you addressed this issue (before we buy this) would be appreciated?

Comments

• Options
    csturcstur Member Posts: 26

You get to sit outside, relax and have a beer while the one who can stand up inside cooks and takes care of the inside chores. We work it out, he's taller than you are and we logged nearly 10,000 miles in our T@B Max Q last year. It can work, go for it.

Carol, Shingletown, CA, 2015 T@B M@xx-Q Silver/Black, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Please be careful here. I'm well under 6' vertical. But would not have bought a T@b if I could not stand up in it. It's an awesome trailer, but not for everyone.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    First, I'll say only you can decide.  Now, I'll say this.  I'm 5 10,   My wife is 4 11 and 100 lbs soaking wet.  She can stand up straight everywhere in the trailer. She does most of the cooking, so I can sit and watch/have a beer.  I can almost stand, but have to be very careful not to bump my head.  We're both coming from backpacking, so for us, the T@B is more like a hotel room than camping.  I'll sit outside when possible, but if it's bad weather, I know I'll be sitting inside.    Not a big deal, since I don't think I'd be much more active in a 40 ft. toy hauler.   For me, if I were much taller, I'm not sure I'd buy a T@B or any small trailer.  At least at my age, I know I'm only getting shorter from here on out.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    OutbackAZ said:
    Please be careful here. I'm well under 6' vertical. But would not have bought a T@b if I could not stand up in it. It's an awesome trailer, but not for everyone.
    Agreed.  We love ours, but it does not work for everyone.  One of the reasons we chose a T@B over a Silver Shadow was because we could stand up in it, that was important to us.  It is tight, but works for us.  If I had to duck all the time in it I am not sure I would enjoy it as much.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm 6-1...less issue of standing, but it took me a while to get used to sleeping...good thing my wife is 5-2!  Having done a LOT of camping, what I love about the T@B is the ability to cook in the dark or in the rain, getting up but not out in the middle of the night, and coffee in the morning without a down parka...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    OutbackAZ said:
    Peeing in the toilet two feet away from your bed at 2:00 am in a rainstorm. Priceless.
    In an Alde warmed, dry cabin. With coffee ready to brew in the morning. Priceless.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    It's good to know that you are making that two foot effort :-)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok. All these 'short people' that say they wouldn't recommend it if you're taller... They are clearly not used to having to duck all the time!

I'm 6'2.5" - 6'3" (depending on the time of day) and the Tab is great. If I have to duck too long, doing dishes for example, I'll sit down to do them. Ducking is life.

I've compared it to glorified tent camping. It's not a house. If it was, it wouldn't be camping.

We sleep crosswise, my DW is 5'10, and she has no complaint about me sleeping slightly catty-corner (bless her).

You learn to accommodate, as you do with most kinds of camping.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sis and other half are 5'7+" and 6'3", respectively and have the Outback. Her head brushes the ceiling, he ducks. He sits outside and does the evening greasy cooking outside most of the time too and smirks when it comes to the time to do the dishes. They have a mutual sleeping arrangement in the Outback (some geometry/yoga thing) lol.

There is another option for people who don't mind about a 9 month wait (last time Sis checked). It's called the Safari Alto. LG's TearDrop shop is now carrying visors and awnings for them. It's a T@B-looking Teardrop. The roof pops up for taller people and the insides are way different, but just as quality as all LGs T@Bs and pdts. These campers are only sold in Canada, but you can order direct from the factory to be delivered. That LG TearDrop Shop is selling Pahaque items for the Altos makes me wonder if there's going to be some mutual beneficial relationship thing in the works (pure speculation and hope on my part!! I take full responsibility if I start a rumor, but really am not meaning to). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    At 6'3" I'm holding out for the T@B-LWT (Longer, Wider,Taller) that I posted on FB 
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    The Alto is interesting, for sure, but I'd worry about all the seals and mechanicals necessary for the pop-up part. Also, harder to stop for a quick cup of coffee, or otherwise, with the need to pop it up/down.

I like those windows though. I'd love to look at one.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    I have been in the Alto several times. Although the roof lifting up is pretty cool, there is no comparison in the quality of the two trailers. The T@B is a much better built and better looking trailer. 
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The T@Bs I've seen are cozy and charming. I haven't seen some of the others like the Alto, Scamp, Euro T@B, etc. in person, but the photos seem so cold and modernistic in comparison. Kind of like Pottery Barn vs. Ikea.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    The T@Bs I've seen are cozy and charming. I haven't seen some of the others like the Alto, Scamp, Euro T@B, etc. in person, but the photos seem so cold and modernistic in comparison. Kind of like Pottery Barn vs. Ikea.
    I tend to agree with the pictures of the Alto vs the T@B. Seems like a comparison between a chef's utilitarian stainless steel kitchen vs a comfy warm house kitchen with mismatched potholders and well-used and seasoned pots and pans. Both do the same thing (cook good food), but the house kitchen will always feel more relaxed to hang about (especially when cookies are being baked).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    How did you know I was baking cookies - Chocolate chips done, Sugar in process.
  • Options
    OMG.. PXL is baking again! Good thing there's no height requirement to bake outside! *topic save*
  • Options
    FrankonsandFrankonsand Member Posts: 19
    I'm 5'10.5 on a good day, have a 2015 max s and do most of the cooking.if you do the cooking and plan to do so inside...I'd rent one for a weekend. My hair just about touches the ceiling when standing at the door. Standing in the shower for me is a challenge. The T@B is a GREAT little unit but as was said very well before I, the T@B max S Is not for everyone..
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    I'm 6'1" and love being inside our Max S. Inside I sit, or lie down. When cooking or washing dishes I am looking down, I.e. Nodding enough so the ceiling is no problem. I believe our set bath has a "ladies only" sign so it isn't an issue
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Stand in the shower?
    When we got our Tab, I just assumed the shower was sit-down only...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    Stand in the shower?
    When we got our Tab, I just assumed the shower was sit-down only...
    Ditto. 5' 9" and same thoughts. I ordered one sight unseen, but one of my brothers who was a little taller than me looked at a used one for me and reported that although he couldn't stand up straight, it didn't feel uncomfortable to him. Another brother who is 6' 3" and subject to feeling claustrophobic doesn't care to be in it, at all.

Tall is as tall does.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I do have some 'more husky' relatives who won't even try to enter the shower of the Tab. 
    And yes, wriggling my 6'3" self into there took some getting used to (I usually 'back in').
    So to answer geoohio, it is a good idea to 'try it on for size' before making a commitment.
    geoohio said:
    I am 6'1.5".  We went to dealer today and looked at 2016 T@B Max S.  Looks very good.  However, I cannot stand in the interior.  How have other taller guys or gals (i.e. > 6') enjoyed the max S?  Any ideas how you addressed this issue (before we buy this) would be appreciated?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 3
    This is why we chose the CS-S Clamshell.  2 6' men can stand up fully while cooking in a real kitchen
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    My 6'2" husband couldn't stand up in our tent either. We got a Q so the shower isn't going to be an issue for him. Inside is for sleeping, sitting and for me to cook on bad weather days. He rarely sleeps stretched out so I don't think the bed will be an issue. I'll let you know if theory lives up to actuality.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    I figure it is about priorities. You might want to consider what you do the majority of the time when you are staying in a campground or wherever you travel. For the most part, I am outdoors and enjoying the sunshine and am inside when it is raining or catching a nap while traveling long distances across the country but am generally seated.  

I also enjoy a cup of hot coffee in the morning when I get up and I'm not standing when I am drinking my coffee. Yes, you might have to stoop down when you are walking into the trailer but for me I am in there to either sleep, watch TV occasionally and other things like washing dishes or using the bathroom area.  

If stooping to get into the trailer or stooping while standing up is something that is going to anger you then you probably should consider other options.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    StingSting Member Posts: 3
    Im 6'2" and i have learned to stand with my feet apart to drop my head a bit. Since most of my time indoors is spent sitting or sleeping it has never been much of a problem and then when we purchased the add-a-room tent I found tall guy heaven.
  • Options
    TnMtnCmperTnMtnCmper Member Posts: 7
    I am 6' 2" and have never really though twice about having to stoop a bit when moving around the T@b. I suppose that might be different if we regularly camped in cold and rainy weather, but we stay home when the forecast is for constant bad conditions.

We have the max S and do most of our cooking outside, but cooking inside is no big deal. I would hope that you can try before you buy.

Gordon and Ivy... 2016 T@b S-Max... East Tennessee
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It's funny. Before we bought ours, we stopped once at a dealer to see one. Looked at it for 2 minutes or so (the dealer was busy).

I did see that the toilet/shower would be a 'back in' procedure, but that's about all we 'experienced' of it. (I'm 6'3-ish)

Otherwise 'sight unseen', we ordered/bought it anyway, and I think our philosophy must have been 'everything great about it would have to outweigh anything not-so-good'.

We haven't regretted it. Even after bumping my head on that cute, silly, short door... numerous times.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    DH is 6'5" and does fine. He gets in and sits down. Doing dishes inside doesn't work for him so I do that, otherwise he's very comfortable. We have a T@B awning where we cook, eat, and hang out in inclement weather and he can stand up there no problem.

After tent camping for years It is such a treat to have a warm, dry, comfortable place to sleep that the height is a minor concern. And we can tow the T@B with my car, not a truck.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York