Options

T@B question - city water overflow

When city water is connected to my T@B, continual water runs out the overflow underneath the camper.  Seems like maybe too much water pressure?  Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Comments

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Are you able to see exactly where the water is coming out? There is a water release valve under there (by step on my model). It is there so you can intentionally drain what is left in the clean water tank (at the end of a trip for example). Is it possible that it is open for some reason and you are draining your on-board water tank?  Maybe not though if you say it only happens when connected to city water...hmmm
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Yes, that is the pressure-relief valve. No more than 50 psi should go through those little water lines. For all water hookups (even at my house) use a pressure regulator. Buy a spare just in case. It goes on the hose end that threads into your camper, not at the spigot.  Kids at many parks run around and grab the pressure regulators left behind and sell them for candy money.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Ratkity: Question why does the regulator have to go at the Caper end of the hose and not at the spigot end? Would it not read the same from either end? Could you not regulate the pressure from either end?
    Many thanks John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    I just went to the Valterra Web Site and they say always hook the regulator to the spigot and then run the hose to the RV thus protecting the hose and the RV water system from extreme pressure. John
    South Carolina
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2016
    I know some sites say to put it at the spigot. The argument for next to the camper is that heat can increase the water pressure in the hose as it sits in the sun and thus increase the pressure on your water lines. If it's already at 50 psi, you've gone over the limit. If you dig into the blogs of full-timers, they say 50 psi is an upper limit and optimally, the line pressure should be 35-40ish to extend the life of the camper water lines. 

This may be one of those YMMV scenarios (toMAto-toMato). In the RV parts store, the techs told me to put it next to the camper because even if you don't believe the theory of hose pressure increase in hot sun, there's a good chance you'll be buying another one because you'll forget and leave it attached to the spigot (giving kiddos candy money when they sell it for cheap). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Thanks, makes sense. I suppose one could get carried away and put one at each end. Never thought of the effect of the sun beating down on the hose; we do a lot of camping in the hot South. Thanks again John
    South Carolina
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ratkity said:
    I know some sites say to put it at the spigot. The argument for next to the camper is that heat can increase the water pressure in the hose as it sits in the sun and thus increase the pressure on your water lines. If it's already at 50 psi, you've gone over the limit. If you dig into the blogs of full-timers, they say 50 psi is an upper limit and optimally, the line pressure should be 35-40ish to extend the life of the camper water lines. 

The hot sun issue was pointed to me by the camp host on my last trip to Moab. It would have never occurred to me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Mine is at the camper end and stays attached to the hose. It also acts as a bit of a support for the hose not to sag. (vs an elbow).
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL