Options

Tire Covers

Hello!  Just bought my 2014 TAB and will be storing it outside for the next couple of months.  I want to purchase Tire Covers and would love a suggestion on what size and brand my fellow TAB owners suggest?

Comments

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    I too would like this information.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    They have covers available at Camping World. You just need to get the size of your tire and match it to the appropriate wheel cover 
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I bought covers for 16" tires.  First set was vinyl, and I was gifted a set of cloth covers.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Is there any reason to cover the tires? We read about it's nice and helps with UV breakdown but nothing really says it's necessary. Thoughts?

2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    We don’t put tire covers on car tires, why RV tires?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    From experience I can tell you that tires sitting in the sun will dry rot.  If they are on a vehicle that is driven a lot it will take a longer but tires sitting on a trailer that is moved only a few times a year will dry rot in only a few years.  A trailer with dry rotted tires may differ a blowout going down the road.
    Walmart sells Camco vinyl tire covers.  Cheap insurance in my opinion.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2020
    Covering the tire will help some, but the tire will still oxidize and breakdown.  Covers are good on tires that are facing South and get a lot of direct sun.
     RV Tire’s should be replaced on a time schedule, not just based mileage, as a bad tire could still have good tread, but not be serviceable.  Check the sidewall of a tire and look for small cracks or checking, if you see this issue, time to replace the tires.  
    I get 4-6 years on my boat trailer tires, but they are stored out of direct sun for the most part.  When I had my Kenskill, I used plywood panels cut to fit in the sheet well to cover the exposed side wall of the tires, this worked well for a trailer that was not moved much.  You could also use a good tire dressing on the tire sidewalls, to reduce UV damage and oxidation issues, and possibly prolong tire life for the trailer Tyres.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    FWIW the Classic Accessories trailer cover partially covers the tires. 
    https://amzn.to/2F0DS7o
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    And and a small bit of plywood or plastic under the cover in front of the tire would cover the rest.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Thanks all.
    2015 Tab S with Alde