Options

How do I remove the pvc pipe inside the propane cover?

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
Can anyone tell me what tool I need to remove that pvc pipe inside the cover? I won't use it to store anything and with my larger battery it's a tight fit and I want more room to get at the propane tank. I looked and can't figure out if those are rivets holding it in. I tried various screw heads (they look round) but no luck so far. Thanks!
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I just drilled out the rivets when I removed mine.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Uh oh...didn't want to hear that Jenn! Is that the only way to get that dang thing out? I'm not very experienced with a drill and might mess something up. Perhaps it's time to ask a friend :)

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Uh oh...didn't want to hear that Jenn! Is that the only way to get that dang thing out? I'm not very experienced with a drill and might mess something up. Perhaps it's time to ask a friend :)
    It's a good time to learn, Michele. It's soft aluminum and not that hard to drill out the rivets.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    It's a good time to learn, Michele. It's soft aluminum and not that hard to drill out the rivets.
    Agreed. Michele, you've got this!  

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Ok - I'll give it a try. Do I still from the outside (I hope) and did you put something on to cover the hole? What size drill bit? YouTube videos show putting oil on the drill bit.  

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    After it's out depending on the hole size you could get a plug from Lowes that just pushes into the hole and it is rubber
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Ok - I'll give it a try. Do I still from the outside (I hope) and did you put something on to cover the hole? What size drill bit? YouTube videos show putting oil on the drill bit.  
    I put a tad bit of oil on the rivets but I am not sure how necessary it was. Yes, from the outside. I can't remember what size. I have a multi kit and just used one that matched the indentation on the head of the rivet.

• Options
    The holes are so tiny that you won't notice them, IMHO.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    Drill slowly using a bit that's a little larger than the diameter of the rivet's stem/hole, and the top of the rivet will come off. Then you can sometimes push the rivet out of the hole without damaging the plastic at all...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Most rivets are either 1/8 or 3/16 inch. The ones one the TAB look to be 3/16. Drill it from the front and the head should come off and then pull the rest of it apart.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    If you do it yourself, wear safety glasses/goggles.  It's no fun ending up in the emergency room having a piece of metal dug from your eye.  I know I've mentioned this elsewhere on this forum, so I repeat myself...and likely will again if it comes up.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks for the rivet size and also reminder about wearing safety goggles - will do. Those are something I did buy and are in my tool box.

• Options
    I did it!!! Thanks everyone for the boost of confidence. The bottom one came out easier than the top - but I got the pvc pipe out. Next project - putting a sewer hose "container" on the frame/hitch side like Verna did. I'm feeling better about trying things out ---

• Options
    I did it!!! Thanks everyone for the boost of confidence. The bottom one came out easier than the top - but I got the pvc pipe out. Next project - putting a sewer hose "container" on the frame/hitch side like Verna did. I'm feeling better about trying things out ---
    Great! Isn't it nice knowing that some things you think are difficult really aren't!  You can do the sewer pipe holder. Piece of cake!  Be sure to put chocks behind the tires and put the tongue jack all the way up to give yourself plenty of room to work underneath. Put the stabilizers down, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    smilie  You guys crack me up!!!  smilie

smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike , a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ain't no one here with extensive experience and the muscle offering to do my mods for me. Just leaves me. If Verna and Jenn can do it, I can too!! If it breaks, it needed replacing. 

Next mod - digital thermostat. Gotta order one. Need some touch up paint. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Ain't no one here with extensive experience and the muscle offering to do my mods for me. Just leaves me. If Verna and Jenn can do it, I can too!! If it breaks, it needed replacing. 

Next mod - digital thermostat. Gotta order one. Need some touch up paint. 
    Digital thermostat--piece of cake!  You'll wonder why you waited so long!  I was able to cut the hole in the wall larger using a drywall saw (boondocking at the time and I didn't bring any cordless power saws with me.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - Only you would carry a drywall saw while boondocking :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - Only you would carry a drywall saw while boondocking :-)
    Would I disappoint you if I told you I bought the cheapest one Walmart had after I received the digital thermostat?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I think Verna could make her way around the country giving T@B modification lessons to all us single females who didn't take shop class (back then it was Home Economics for the females --- wish I had taken shop)! Verna - it could be a new WorKamper job for you!

• Options
    I think Verna could make her way around the country giving T@B modification lessons to all us single females who didn't take shop class (back then it was Home Economics for the females --- wish I had taken shop)! Verna - it could be a new WorKamper job for you!
    My parents wouldn't let me take shop classes in high school--I HAD to take 
    Home Ec per my parents.

So, I taught myself woodworking by reading and taking evening classes, and buying my first home taught me a lot of other stuff. I paid $70 once for a plumber to change a water heater element and I always changed it after that. It pays to watch and ask questions!  

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Don't feel bad gals, there's a lot of guys that "did" take shop and are total putzes at it.
    And, you eat way more often than you fix things (except for Verna).
  • Options
    Just do not ask me to fix plumbing!  My brother taught me that you break three things for every one you fix, and he'll tell you that, too.  I have no patience for plumbing.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    And remember - Anything you try to fix will take three trips to the hardware store.
  • Options
    And, if you buy an extra piece "just in case" you will never ever use this piece ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yep - My father had a whole garage full of extras - The hardware store guy would send people to my dad if he was out of something.