Options

Deep Cycle recharge time?

I read somewhere on this forum that a "true" deep cycle battery takes a much longer time to recharge on solar than a "normal" car battery. I have a Group 27 "dual purpose" battery.  If I use my very small 600W microwave for 4 minutes, it takes my Zamp 200W about 18 minutes to recharge based on my calculations.  Can I reduce that re-charge time with a true deep cycle battery - or will it make the re-charge time longer?
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    According to the physics I learned, a battery is a battery. It's a chemical reaction between two metal plates - no matter if it's sealed (gel or agm) or flooded. How thick the plates are and the stability (proprietary) mix of said chemicals determines type of use (dual, deep, starting). State of charge is achieved slowly in the last ~90% of any battery. Overheating and off-gassing of hydrogen can occur and occasionally, catastrophic incidents (not just "boom" explosions, but splash of acid solution, split casing). How much charge any battery can receive is fairly static when it reaches the "float" stage in that 10-15% range to reach 100%. I think using a true deep cycle battery *will* give you a longer battery life as the chemical mix and plate size/thickness are designed to cycle to a lower charge state than a "starting" battery. 

I'm sure someone else here that is more mechanically-inclined can chime in and let me know if my old physics knowledge has become obsolete.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    OutbackAZ - Evidently you didn't get the memo - People with microwaves and other appliances are only certified for "hookup" campgrounds. Dry camping and boondocking is disallowed. :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I haven't tried my microwave while on solar. I would need to connect my larger inverter directly to the battery. 

OutbackAZ, you can warm up food in a saucepan or a skillet on the stove. Yes, even those microwave entrees.  I warm up the rice in those 90 second packages in a saucepan frequently (without the package). Sometimes you just have to think outside of the frozen entree box ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - You should have taken HomeEc :-)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

You're both right - I never learned to cook.  That's why I LOVE the microwave!  I also bought a 2,000 watt inverter and quick battery cable disconnect for my beloved micro.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Frank, I can give you some easy pointers. I'll be at Lost Dutchman next week with the Arizona Tearkers. Come in on a day pass and I'll show you some easy meals. You've given me some pointers on a subject that concerned me and I can return the favor. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Verna - if I learn a new skill, I have to forget a current one.  You know what they say about old dogs.
  • Options
    Maybe we should start a "Easy Cooking Lessons/Recipes for Frank" thread. :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I'll bring the Betty Crocker EZ Bake oven.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Anyone have an old Baking with Barbie oven they could send Frank to get him started :-)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Yes, a true deep cycle flooded lead acid battery will take longer.  The exception to the rule is if you use AGM batteries instead.  They are the best of both worlds in terms of deep cycle life and recharge times, but you're going to pay dearly for them.  In a few years, lithium iron batteries will become more common, and you'll be able to charge up very quickly and have more capacity as well.  In addition to weighing less than half. ;)

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA