Options

Water Pump Issue Solved - 2016 T@B Q Max Outback Edition

geasandgeasand Member Posts: 1
At the dealer the water pump worked.  When I got it home it wouldn't pump.  The motor was running but no pressure.  Water tank was full. Solution - with pump running first loosen the clear cap on top of the small filter chamber on the input side of pump allowing the chamber to fill with water, then tighten the clear cap.  Then slightly loosen the hose connection on the output side of the pump allowing a small amount of water drip out, then tighten.  Voila!  The pump started pressuring up and is now working.  I'm a newbie and maybe this is standard operating procedure for clearing air from the pump.  Whatever, this worked for me.  Now I'm happy.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Cool - Good to know when you have an air lock.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    geasand said:
    At the dealer the water pump worked.  When I got it home it wouldn't pump.  The motor was running but no pressure.  Water tank was full. Solution - with pump running first loosen the clear cap on top of the small filter chamber on the input side of pump allowing the chamber to fill with water, then tighten the clear cap.  Then slightly loosen the hose connection on the output side of the pump allowing a small amount of water drip out, then tighten.  Voila!  The pump started pressuring up and is now working.  I'm a newbie and maybe this is standard operating procedure for clearing air from the pump.  Whatever, this worked for me.  Now I'm happy.
    Is this the same procedure needed for the hammering water pump?  Never had a problem until this weekend.  Water comes out, but pump hammers, especially at low flow rate.  I took a look at it while it was making the racket, and the dadgum thing was jumping all over the place like it was gonna come loose any minute.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Would think it would be - Too much air in there.
    Mine will rattle and then finally settle down.
  • Options
    The fresh water tank was almost full.  Only turned the pump on to run water, then turned it off.  I will check the filter tomorrow to make sure it's OK, then run lots of water through it.  I don't use much water from the tank at camp (lots of bottled water), so may have never purged all the air.  I have read the other threads about the problem.  Thought I may have missed something.  Thanks for the answers.  BTW, sure hate the thoughts of replacing that thing.  It's kinda hard for a fat man to get to. :)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I checked the filter.  It was OK.  Filled the tank and ran it almost dry.  Pump hammered the whole time.  Turned it on and off a few times just in case that might help.  Didn't.  Guess it's new pump time.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My pump hammers like that all the time. I was told it was normal? No air in the lines either (did clean out the shavings.. they were there). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Like Ratkity, I've been told they all do that by other campers.
  • Options
    I usually carry extra water.  I may just let it go until/if it fails.  Doesn't really bother me 'cause it only happens when running the water.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    JacobyOJacobyO Member Posts: 35
    Had this same issue a couple times now. The filter chamber cap/loosen right side pump hose trick didn't quite work. I ended up reaching down a bit further and loosening the other end of that hose so that I could suck on it and pull start the water. Worked like a charm! Make sure to have a bowl to empty the water into once it starts flowing out. The nice thing about this is that the water comes out in the shower instead of the little area that drips down into no-man's land. Once the water comes through just turn off the pump, reconnect the hose (pretty easy to do by feel alone) and then turn it back on to check that it goes all the way through to the faucets.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2016
    After a trouble-free first season, I experienced similar issues with my water pump during this year's shakedown trip; the pump would need to run a long time to build pressure, it would sputter and shake, and it would take a long time to shut off, if it would shut off at all.

When I got home, I filled the tank, opened all the taps full bore, flipped on the pump, and for good measure raised and lowered the front of the trailer to jostle any air bubbles out of the Alde HW tank (and anwhere else they may be lurking). The pump eventually settled down and is now working properly again, although the "fix" would not have been practical in a camping situation where I was trying to conserve water and battery power.

I agree with others that the root cause is probably air pockets trapped somewhere in the system, and since air compresses a whole better than water, they may be preventing the pump from reaching its "shut-off" pressure. Unfortunately, bouncing the T@B back down the road may well reintroduce those pockets upon arrival at camp. I'll definitely be keeping geasand's and JacobyO's tricks in mind!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Mine also sounded so loud, the neighbors complained.  Had a piece of foam backed carpet installed between the wall and the pump.  Helped to quiet it down.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    After doing @JacobyO 's trick, it's the first time my pump hasn't sounded like a WWII machine gun (tried the insulation trick - didn't help). I did get a wee wet, but I'm waterproof, so no worries! (No.... I didn't yell "Help Meeeee! I'm Mellllllting" - well, not THAT loud). LOL. Thanks J!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Speaking of, um, sucking and blowing on your T@B, I'm also suspicious (though not certain) that water in the fresh water tank vent line can also contribute to pump demons. Other symptoms of this problem include splashback and burping when filling the tank, and water actually ejecting from the vent hole. Unfortunatly, getting water in that tube seems to be a normal outcome of using the FW tank.

The solution is simple, if impermanent. Hold a short piece of hose firmly against the vent hole, and blow hard in the other end. You can feel and hear the water forced back into the tank. My little "blow hose" is permanently installed in the T@B toolbox.

It's also worth noting that the vent line itself is just a length of clear soft tubing that is prone to getting pinched or kinked depending on how it is routed under the trailer. If you are having lots of trouble filling or emptying your FW tank, it might be worth crawling under there to inspect and relocate that tubing as needed.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Just FYI, my vent hole wasn't connected to the tank from that particular gravity fill version. I found that out when I changed that one out to the screw cap version (the silly flap kept detaching on the old one). The vent hose on my tank is also the overflow hose. It's black and comes out at my feet as I'm filling up the water tank (ask me how I know!! LOL).
  • Options
    Got pics of your replacement Ratkity?
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Just FYI, my vent hole wasn't connected to the tank from that particular gravity fill version. I found that out when I changed that one out to the screw cap version (the silly flap kept detaching on the old one). The vent hose on my tank is also the overflow hose. It's black and comes out at my feet as I'm filling up the water tank (ask me how I know!! LOL).
    That's the outdoor footwash--didn't those come standard on the Tabitha version?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LOL @ScottG, so THAT's wut that is.. the Redneck T@Bitha footwash version. 

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Polar-White-Gravity/dp/B000BGM240/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1465520551&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+water+inlet

This is what I replaced the flap one with. No more water on mah shoes (unless my foot is under the overflow tube). I have a 2.5gal water container whose spout fits perfectly in the water inlet. No spills. It's green and looks like Outback's containers he has lashed to the front of his T@B. The 2.5 gallon fits perfectly in the shower floor without touching the door. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of it. I got it from the local RV parts store.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ours is the same as Ratkity's - nothing connected to that vent hole, on the inside.

I found that out one day while scrounging around in the cupboard behind the toilet, found it was soggy back there. While filling the FW tank via the funnel-cover, the vent hole allowed water into the wall cavity...

I promptly plugged that durn vent hole with silicone goop.

It appears that there was a period when LG wasn't connecting that vent hole to the FW tank. It sounds like they are using it now though.
    Ratkity said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    Water pump issues on 2015 max q: filled tank, pump runs but little pressure. I tried the suggestion of removing clear cap and loosening fitting on outlet side but still no bueno. I believe there is air in the line or the pump has lost prime. Suggestions? 
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    Hi @norwood. There's lots of discussion here about this very issue, with numerous suggestions for remedies. You may nave to do some searching and digging. Air pockets, air leaks and blocked vents are commonly suggested culprits. Some have resorted to applying suction to the pump to get the flow started.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2017
    norwood said:
    Water pump issues on 2015 max q: filled tank, pump runs but little pressure. I tried the suggestion of removing clear cap and loosening fitting on outlet side but still no bueno. I believe there is air in the line or the pump has lost prime. Suggestions? 
    If the trailer has been used a lot you might just need a new pump.   I replaced the stock pump with the one I purchased on Amazon and it was like night and day and quite amazing the difference received in performance.  The price has increased but you can find them cheaper if you search for them via Google.   I bought the filter strainer too and like it.   

Shurflo 2088-554-144 Fresh Water Pump, 12 Volts, 3.5 Gallons Per Minute, 45 Psi

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna try one last time this weekend just for kicks before winterizing. If not resolved will have until spring to figure it out. 
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    PieshobbithousePieshobbithouse Member Posts: 17
    These rv pumps are tiny pressure washer like “pumps” they hammer water.....the smaller the system the more you notice it. They sell products to reduce this but it is a pest not a monster. When they stop or drop pressure will still making noise that are sucking air on the supply side. So when we pick up our rigs they are actually quieter than they will be in a month of use because we have removed trapped air do to use. The trapped air absorbes impact. I have not figured out how i will add a air hammer reduction product to  my system but if it bothers me I will add it and post pics. Watching these pumps bounce around on a rubber mount is very alarming when you see it for the first time. Some pump models are quieter than others even using the same brand when replacing. 
    2018 CS-S
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Anyone tried installing an accumulator tank on the Tab 400 water pump? I added them to my previous RVs and it substantially reduced the noise and cycling of the pump. From pictures I have seen of the pump location there appears to be enough room for one.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure somebody did this a while back, but I don't remember who, or if they are still active here. Do a search and you might be able to locate the discussion.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner