Options

Pulling fuse to disconnect battery

All the comments I've read about doing this recommend pulling the fuse at the battery box.   The gentleman we purchased our used T@B from recommended pulling the green 30 amp at the inverter, so that's what I've been doing.   I've found that the battery still charges while hooked to shore power, and it's more convenient than doing it at the battery box. 

Is there some reason I shouldn't be doing it at the inverter?   I was thinking about putting in a battery cut off switch, but this is so easy it doesn't make sense to.  So I figure there must be a reason no one else pulls the fuse at the inverter?
2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Once that fuse is pulled, nothing in the trailer operates,  so what else could be drawing juice?  Is there some phantom draw between the battery and inverter?  Thanks.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    A battery with no load will naturally discharge, but it's fairly slow. It discharges a wee faster in warmer weather. I read it's a myth that it discharges faster on concrete. I can pull the main fuse on the positive lead to the battery and my battery meter still will pull a little juice when I turn it on to check battery voltage because the meter is wired to a negative terminal shunt ahead of all the negative leads to the camper loads/charger. I also have a 20W solar trickle charger set up to combat that draw and keep the battery in float mode. Seems to be working. I have yet to get out and test the 100W suitcase panels I have. Stupid weather and work. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We just take one of the leads off the battery..found it a bit easier than pulling the fuse until we get around to installing a battery cut off switch.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    12V DC 30A Car Audio Circuit Breaker Inline Fuse for 12V System Protection 30AMPI use this 30 amp dissconnect I got at Amazon. Kills all voltage to the T@B but easy to install and use. No need to pull and maybe lose a fuse. Install under the driver side compartment on the main wire from the battery before it comes into the electrical box. Also can be installed in place of the fuse at the battery. Less expensive than those large switches. Cost $12.00 w/shipping via Amazon Prime.
      http://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Breaker-Inline-System-Protection/dp/B00HNOWWTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457138181&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+DC+30A+Car+Audio+Circuit+Breaker+Inline+Fuse+for+12V+System+Protection+30AMP

"Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I mounted my battery shutoff switch inside my diamond plate tub, just to the right of the battery.  Nobody can see it unless you open up the tub (out of sight, out of mind) and it is very convenient as the trailer can be locked and I can shut things off outside the trailer.  Additionally, I mounted a small LED meter on the bench seat face (driver's side bench) that I can see looking inside the side window on the passenger side.  This allows me to monitor voltage readings and I know immediately what the battery voltage is with the switch on.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ