Options

Back bench storage

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
edited March 2016 in Tips & Tricks
we intend to store pillows, sleeping bags, towels and maybe some clothes behind/under the back bench. Are there issues we need to be aware of? 

Comments

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We have a "16 Max S and in that area you speak of be aware, at least in our unit the wires on the side are very tight ,no slack in them so do not pile heavy stuff or stuff that when the bed is used will put pressure eon those wires possibly causing them to separate on the driver/shower side . We are looking into some sort of cover that can be removed but will provide security for the wires. Wished they had provided more slack and run them along the edge.
    We too store those items there.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you mean down below, the primary issue is reaching the contents. I store my sleeping bag back there, which also holds my sleeping pad and then zip the pillows inside. The shelf works, but be careful not to put anything that might melt there if you are using the heat!

I have been thinking of putting my spare back there and tying a rope around it to use to pull it out if I need to use it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I put my comforter on the driver's side area behind the seat. Went to use the it one night only to find it soaking wet with Alde fluid from a leak in my resevoir tank. Thankfully I had a spare moving blanket. Out of caution, I no longer use that side for storage.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    We use that area primarily for storing bedding.  We use large laundry bags to store the duvet, sheet and pillows, which makes getting it out easier.  Be sure and look for any screws that may be protruding and could snag and rip your things.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Jenn - be careful putting the spare inside the cabin.  The smell of rubber may be a factor.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    I had the same idea about storing bedding in the space behind the bench. I don't recall wiring being an issue, but it did look like stuff might fall down into the zone and be hard to reach.

My plan was to build a removable platform just below the level of the bench--similar to what is under the driver's side bench covering the electronics. In practice, however, we rarely disassemble the bed, so getting to that project wasn't high priority. Seems it wouldn't be too hard--just be careful to recess the platform somehow so it doesn't impede laying the back bench flat.

This would also segregate the space under the bench (opposite the Alde). We use that for items that come out as soon as we get to camp, and go back just before we leave.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    jkjenn said:

I have been thinking of putting my spare back there and tying a rope around it to use to pull it out if I need to use it.
    I store mine under the rear bench, inside a large garbage bag.  There is no odour from the tire.  I moved it there to keep the weight off of the tongue and when it was fastened outside under the T@B it occasionally bottomed out when going into or out of some driveways.  I really didn't use the space for anything else.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada