Options

What is proper tire pressure: see label

RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
Is 50 psi recommended tire pressure?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It depends on ehether you have original or replacement tires. 

I always go by what is on the tires. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2016
    My originals say 50 but wasn't there a discussion where most were using 45 as the T@B rode better, less bounce?
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I have original brand new Ranier ST tires
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited March 2016
    The only reason I'd run 50 psi would be if the trailer were loaded to the max.  My tires say 50, but I run 45.  Under inflated will run hot and wear unevenly; over inflated will bounce and wear unevenly.  My advice would be to consider your load and keep an eye on your wear pattern and adjust the pressure accordingly.  There have been several discussions here on the forum about the subject.  You might find some good information by going to the search function top right and searching for tire pressure.

EDIT:  BTW, that 50 psi label on the sidewall says "maximum."  To me, "maximum" means just that.  I do not read it as "recommendation."

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    50 PSI is what is on my tires, though they are not original.  Check your sidewalls to be sure.  On the T@Bpole I usually run at 45 PSI, it seems to ride better.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I also run at 45-47 PSI. I have the Outback tires (General A/T Grabbers2) and they indicate 50 PSI. I would not run any lower and it is a good idea to check when traveling longer distances.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    blueystarblueystar Member Posts: 40
    down under I run at 32 psi car and t@b
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My 2009 Reverse TD had a 50 psi max and the sticker on the side recommended 35 lbs. It bounced horribly over 43 lbs, but saw cupping wear at 35, so ran at 40. I read the same rating on the side of my pickup truck tires. Max psi 50, but recommended tire pressure is 35. I'm checking all the paperwork that came with the T@B to see if it says the same thing somewhere. It's not on the outside sticker - just max axel and tire loads.  I know there was 35 lbs of pressure in the tires that the dealer filled and checked before I left the lot (I watched him do it). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    blueystar said:
    down under I run at 32 psi car and t@b
    If you have a Dutchman or European T@B I think they actually use a standard car tire, not sure of the size.  That is probably why they run at 32 PSI.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    My T@B manual says that while the sticker may say to go with a higher pressure the factory recommends 35 psi.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    My T@B manual says that while the sticker may say to go with a higher pressure the factory recommends 35 psi.
    I ran my 2013 T@B at 35 psi when I first got it.  After about 5,000 miles, I noticed a pronounced uneven wear on my tires.  I wouldn't say yours would do the same because everyone's experience seems to differ.  My original tires were not radials, and I don't know if they've started equipping with radials from the factory.  When I bought new tires, I replaced with radials and inflated to 45 psi.  I now have 11,000 miles on those radials and have not noticed any unusual wear.  I'm just suggesting that whatever pressure you use to keep an eye on the wear pattern and the way the trailer tows.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    RZRBUG said:
    I ran my 2013 T@B at 35 psi when I first got it.  After about 5,000 miles, I noticed a pronounced uneven wear on my tires.  I wouldn't say yours would do the same because everyone's experience seems to differ.  My original tires were not radials, and I don't know if they've started equipping with radials from the factory.  When I bought new tires, I replaced with radials and inflated to 45 psi.  I now have 11,000 miles on those radials and have not noticed any unusual wear.  I'm just suggesting that whatever pressure you use to keep an eye on the wear pattern and the way the trailer tows.
    Uneven wear could also be poorly balanced tires.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    Tabasco is a 2005 model, checked out at 1650 lb when loaded. Dutchmen models came with 16 inch alloys and car radials.
    Size 205-55-16. the original owners manual suggests 44 psi , but like some others have said, thats a lot of bounce so have been running
    ours at 38 lb unless I know we will be on the freeways at high speed when we will run at 40 lb. We have been doing this for 4 years since fitting new
    tires and the wear patten is entirely normal after10,000 miles. I think the L.G. Tabs are a bit heavier and have a different tire size so my comments
    will only be relevant to the early dutchmen models.
          T@Basco + Forester = great camping!          Jen&Bern.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Uneven wear could also be poorly balanced tires.
    True.  Can also be caused by warped axle.  

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    2004 Dutchmen T@B, steel wheels. Can't say that I've noticed any issues with bouncing or wear running at the recommended 44PSI.