Attaching spare tire to the back roof

KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
I'm wondering if the spare tire can be center mounted to the back roof slope of the T@B? Sort of like an old Lincoln Continental look, ;) . It is located that way on some of the RPods I've seen. I don't really want that $350 Yakima rack thing like the T@B Outback has. If the roof structure is strong and available enuf to mount the tire, I'd cover it with a matching silver and/or white vinyl cover with a "T@B" logo in the center. I'd peel off the big "T@B" that's there now. I was backing up on the back lot of a McDonald's in Ala. last week and went a couple feet beyond a curb onto grass lawn forgetting about the spare. I ran back and looked and fortunately it barely cleared and flattened the grass. Less than an inch above the curb! Love to get it off the ground. Front tongue mount isn't as practical for me. I have the older (I guess) hydrolic braking system, shorter tongue and not enuf room for the spare between the box and jack. Besides, I like that back mounted look better if I can pull it off. Will the factory give me any measurements for the frame under there? Is it strong enuf to do it that way? If I must, I might just have to bite the bullet and get the Yakima.
"Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
2014 T@B-S

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited March 2016
    Ky, the roof material is not very strong. I know there are factory pictures taken from above the floor (somewhere on this site) where you can see the aluminum struts in the roof.  

The aluminum cross members are centered every 8 inches, except the rear bottom one is an odd number to where it begins from the tailend.  I know this because when I installed the Yakima, the instructions were clear that the installer screw into the cross members and not use the pre-drilled Yakima holes. As far as instructions, LG gave me a picture of the back of a T@B unit and demonstrated where the cross beams were from and told me to use butyl tape (not which kind) under where the screws are to be placed. Sis' Outback had putty butyl tape, so I used the type they used at the factory. Most of the instruction was from Yakima ones themselves.

The rack (or any other brand rack) will distribute the weight more evenly over a large surface. Attaching a 40# tire directly on the few cross members it may be over seems like the weight would be too focused on those few beams and they'd warp or break. There are either 5 or 6 screws (not counting cap screws), that hold each of the curved Yakima rails. I'm hoping the engineer did his homework and calculated the strength-capacity of 2 screws across 5-6 cross members!

I saw a pic (black T@B) that had a typical RV air conditioning unit on it. The roof was sagging inward. I'm guessing that AC unit was positioned over at least 2 cross beams (they installed in where the fan was centered - between 2 beams). There might have been another 2 beams on the ends. The AC unit I installed in my popup weighed about 50 lbs. That said, I don't even think something just the size of the Yakima rack could be mounted without repercussions (and carry the spare). 

My recommendation is to find another type of rack (because I agree, Yakima is pricy - but I fork it out for minor reasons discussed in another thread). 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Thanks Ratkity. I plan to get in touch with the factory to see if they can send me a spec file showing the position of the beams you mentioned. I'll also inquire what they advise. I am concerned with the distribution of the load as you said. I think it would be an awesome look to have it mounted there with a cover on it and all, but something tells me it would already be there or optional if it were feasible. Why else would the factory stick it in such an awkward and exposed place of hanging it under there lower than the axle? I read here somewhere that someone picked up their T@B from a dealer who placed the spare loose inside. They said the underside was not a smart place for it. :)
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    KyBaw, when I moved my spare from underneath, I saw scratches/rub marks on it from dips in driveways and entrances. I really liked the Yakima rack look (sis has Outback - comes std with it). I installed it by myself, but would recommend a 2nd person to help heft the spare into the basket and hold it steady while you tighten the wheel nut (which is lockable with a padlock). I'm 5'6" and needed a small ladder to hold the tire and take the wheel off, btw. Another reason to take an adjustable step during your travels.

I think the dealer who told his customer about where the spare was mounted was a very smart person. I would have figured out the spare was hitting (I could feel and hear it), but without this forum, I don't think I would have been able to see how everyone implemented all the options to that I could chose from.

Whatever you decide, let us know! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TrailsnailTrailsnail Member Posts: 21
    I have the out back and would like to mount spare tire in front of propane tanks just not sure who to have do it. and would it be necessary to go to plastic propane tanks.

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We just picked ours up and this is how the dealer put ours on.   He didn't like the original mount method I guess... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    I like the idea of moving the spare to the tongue, but wondered if anyone had considered mounting it horizontally under the tongue in a rack welded to beneath the frame or hung from a beam across the frame and secured with a chain like we see on some pickup trucks.....comments? 
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TaBFan - Not much clearance under there - betting it would scrape more up front. There's also the gray/black water valves to contend with.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Has anyone looked at mounting the tire to a rack on the front wall  of the Tab?  Like some people have bikes mounted?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    SAM said:
    Has anyone looked at mounting the tire to a rack on the front wall  of the Tab?  Like some people have bikes mounted?
    38 lbs of tire and rim swaying in the air probably wouldn't be a good idea. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”