Options

New to the TAB - Frustrated

ddetarddetar Member Posts: 23
I purchased a 2015 TAB CS-S model last week and am totally frustrated with the lack of some important practical information in the TAB manual.  The manuals for the individual systems aren't much better.  For instance the Aldi manual is for the 3010 model I have but discusses the digital control panel. There is absolutely nothing in the TAB or Aldi manual to explain the slider-knob controls I actually have.  Also, there is an on off switch to the left of the manual control for the heater and I have not idea what it is for.  I could use some help on how to operate the controls for the heater and water heater, etc.

Comments

• Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    I would suggest using the search box here to find some/most/all of your answers.  Try basic system to find a wonderful list of information written up by one of our wonderful T@Bbers.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    While searching the forum is strongly encouraged, you will find varying opinions regarding the proper use of the Alde slider controls. See page 17 of this document for the manufacturer's instructions:

http://www.alde.se/media/110714/v-3010-60-rev-1487-us-can.pdf

The other switch you describe sounds like the ventilation fan for the air conditioner. Switch it on when you use the AC to draw heat out of the enclosed AC cabinet.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    The link ScottG posted takes you to the document I refer to most often when operating the Alde in our T@b.  Alde also has an app that I keep on my iPhone for reference on the road.  I was frustrated too the first few times we used the Alde but now we love it!  Its super quiet, efficient, and provides excellent heat!
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ddetar said:
    I purchased a 2015 TAB CS-S model last week and am totally frustrated with the lack of some important practical information in the TAB manual.  The manuals for the individual systems aren't much better.  For instance the Aldi manual is for the 3010 model I have but discusses the digital control panel. There is absolutely nothing in the TAB or Aldi manual to explain the slider-knob controls I actually have.  Also, there is an on off switch to the left of the manual control for the heater and I have not idea what it is for.  I could use some help on how to operate the controls for the heater and water heater, etc.
    We have a wealth of information contained within the forum area and as noted, by using the search function (and performing a one word search - for best results) in the upper right hand corner or even looking through our T@B Heating & Winterizing section you can easily find the answers you are looking for.  I had the slide thermostat too and changed it out for the digital thermostat as the digital control is easy to use and seems to provide a more consistent heat in the trailer.  

If you cannot find what you are looking for you could also call the factory, ask for Ed Kauffman or Marvin Raber as both gentleman could easily walk you through the procedure you are looking for.  

And as noted, the black switch controls cooling fans in the plenum area that pull hot air out and away from the A/C unit to allow the air conditioner to perform and cool more efficiently.  make sure that switch is flipped on anytime you use your A/C unit in the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    The fuse box near the floor also has a fan.  At first this ran when we turned on the aldi system.  We had a "red" light in the box and changed out the fuse.  The red light went out, the stereo and ceiling fan now work.  But, we don't have the floor fan running...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TerryV6 said:
    The fuse box near the floor also has a fan.  At first this ran when we turned on the aldi system.  We had a "red" light in the box and changed out the fuse.  The red light went out, the stereo and ceiling fan now work.  But, we don't have the floor fan running...
    That's the converter.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I mis-spoke... But.... I had a red light next to one of the fuses in it, and no stereo or ceiling fan.  I replaced that one, and they both worked.  The fan on the "converter" ran for a short time and now doesn't.  Btw, thanks Jenn for the info you've provided here.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    I mis-spoke... But.... I had a red light next to one of the fuses in it, and no stereo or ceiling fan.  I replaced that one, and they both worked.  The fan on the "converter" ran for a short time and now doesn't.  Btw, thanks Jenn for the info you've provided here.
    My pleasure. I found the converter fan so perplexing when I first got my T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    nancentinanancentina Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2016
    The lack of a real manual is a problem. Like, why an additional fan on the fridge? and other things...and yes, I'm using the forum to fill in the blanks but I've owned other RVs that came with their own published proprietary user manuals, not just a color brochure and OEM manuals. Grateful for a solid user forum. 
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Small company high quality  product with growing pains. I think they provide this forum so everyone can help and I'm sure they will have something in the near future only makes sense. We the owners will only help the product or branding grow or ?????
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    And depending on your search word, it will give or not give you results.  Using fuse box instead of converter for instance... Grin..  Can't imagine being the first to figure this out...  I watched a good video today on how to change out the fuses.  Very helpful..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    No doubt the owner's manual for the t@b sucks at best.  Regarding the Aldi system, it sucks the most. However, despite the frustration over time you will figure it all out.  It actually works quite well, but there's no deliberate sound or sense of actuation to help you realize that the heating system is actually working. 

Our first outing was in Oregon last fall and the weather was very damp and cold.  Once we actually figured out the Aldi it kept us very warm throughout the trip.  That being said, we are headed out again next month and there's no doubt that we will struggle with it again!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The manual that was made by forum members is for a 2014 T@B - one model? (I think it was a couple who complied it - name escapes me - still drinking coffee).  So many things have changed, but they did the best they could at the time.  It was no less than a godsend to me despite my 2015 T@Bitha having dramatically different things in it. I haven't had a camper with all these amenities for over 8 years (and that was a popup). Technology has totally changed! I thought I was prepared because of past experience. Ha! Nope. I can't imagine a new person to camper camping being thrown feet-first into the mysteriously cute T@B and be expected to know all the tips and tricks. My kudos to the couple who put together the 2014 manual. It was a work of love. 

As forum members make awesome mods and point out problems to the factory and folks there, things change. The company is the most responsive to customers I've ever encountered in my life! They listen, they must discuss bottom line and feasibility of implementation - then they do it! They find a way. I'm always impressed when a mid-production change for the better is implemented. However, the caveat is that it changes existing instructions.

I know all manuals are living documents. I work with a software product that changes as security upgrades are made to operating systems and other support programs on a weekly basis. That alone is frustrating.  On top of that, it takes an act of congress to change our program features despite customer complaints and great suggestions - it's hard to get a small room full of people to agree on anything! Then someone has to volunteer to change the manual and remember to put in the other small changes that occurred along the way as security needs have changed. When PV and LG get their technical writers on board, I'm sure they will encounter similar frustrations. 

My work's solution was to make an stakeholder email list that can alert our users that new things that have been implemented which would affect them and the date they started (most IT things just affect how I do my job - not our stakeholders). As far as document version control, we found that adding appendices for minor things that have changed prior to the next major rendition of the document works. 

I love our forum expertise and how we work as a team. It's very hard to type a message that keeps the helpful tone of a member and also not put someone on the defensive. I think our forum is comprised of a select group of geniuses. I thank you all. I have learned so much. 

My qualifying line:

TL;DR - this forum and members are awesome.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Well, in my case, I assume things that aren't necessarily true.  I'm sure it is painful for "old timers" to read posts from newbies like me as we struggle with things they have solved.  And, they have been very very helpful. I just found this old post from Verna:

"The fan you hear from the converter is a cooling fan for the converter. It should run a little while when first charging and when first plugged into 110V power. Also occasionally during use.
    There are 12V fuses in the converter that may be blown, and there is a fuse on the wire going to the positive side of the battery at the battery. Check to make sure those fuses are still good. And, there are circuit breakers in the converter that should all be turned on. Try checking those."

Now off to find that fuse by the battery fuse.

Btw, thanks Verna.... If you are reading this... 

Also, I'm one of those who never had a trailer.  Learning how to hook it up, how to drive and also backup with one, internal systems, finding a place to store it, checking the battery, the waste system, and the fragmented information given by the manuals and our dealer.  We spent 42 years tent camping, first in 2 man, then, 3, and finally 6.  There was a certain simplicity there.  BTW, I love that homemade manual the couple put out...  Our dealer told us to twist the hookup chains to shorten them, now I read that's a no no.  He said to keep holding in the igniter for the fridge until it starts, when the manual states 30 seconds, it can explode.  He said, just open the solar panel package later, it's self explanatory.  Just plug it in.  Sorry, I didn't have a manual, and I see battery clips, not a plug.  We called, and were told, well, down the cable there is a join. Disconnect and there is your plug... How was I supposed to know that...?  
    Anyway, don't get me wrong, we are happy with our T@b and glad to have purchased it..  We are going to love it.  

And yet, I remember those simple days at age 20, my soon to be wife, my car, and my two man tent.... Smile.... 

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Oh. Yes, my wife and I were much lower maintenance then too..  My finger hurts, I'm typing all of this on an IPad.....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ugh.. on an IPad! Kudos to you!!! 

I understand the "oh btw, you need to.... " or "Oh btw, you might want to know that...." After the 15th one, your hair starts graying at an exponential rate (or falling out, depending on your genetics).

Hang in there!! If I had time, I'd write something similar for the T@Bitha, but I'm not always privy to the minor changes that happen in the factory (or change in manufacturer suppliers for certain parts). Alas. We have it good here.

Oh, and MANY more happy camping days in the T@B than your tent ever gave you :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TerryV6, I knew how to spell "T@B" a year ago. When I was convinced I needed a T@B after wintering in Arixona for 3 months in. Silver Shadow teardrop, I sat down and started reading the forum. I printed out certain discussions, and I bookmarked many more. I read for days, literally. (I was freezing after leaving 91* in AZ and getting home to 21*, and I stayed bundled up for a few days.)

Anyway, you're very welcome for the converter information. That and experience is how I learned. I always recommend that new owners read, read and read some more. When you find conflicting information, look a little farther and if still confused, ask. 

As as far as the many posts on one subject....this is why many of us ask that the members search. If you put your question at the end of that found discussion, there will be fewer discussions to search. But it doesn't seem to work that way, so the 80 finds on a search will continue. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Good job Bob could not have been said more elegant and honest.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I think our T@B M@X-S is a better made trailer in the ultralight trailers, in fact we are waiting to see what the new 400 looks like, but the excuse of a small company not having the time for a manual (with updated sheet inserts) or instruction videos doesn't fly.  Check out the Scamp website,  LG is going to have to realize this is part of the cost of having an expanding business.  Fortunately, having 16 years in rving, I don't have the hurdles to overcome as a new trailer owner.
  • Options
    Also, I realize Scamp doesn't have a dealer network, but from the walk through or lack of one at the dealership, LG has to get a better tech or training information to the dealership.  LG should make it clear to a dealer carring their line of products, the customer should understand all operating procedures of their trailer before they drive off that lot, or they should drop them from their list of dealers.

• Options
    Well,  I'm proud to be a 64 year old newbie.   I've done a lot of searches on things.   Everyone here started out as such and I'm happy that they share their hard earned info.. I've been heavy into computers and programming languages for 35 years,  yet always patient with those who know less.   

I'm not complaining myself.   I'm a happy camper.. Haven't seen any published T@B books though.   
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Well,  I'm proud to be a 64 year old newbie.   I've done a lot of searches on things.   Everyone here started out as such and I'm happy that they share their hard earned info.. I've been heavy into computers and programming languages for 35 years,  yet always patient with those who know less.   

I'm not complaining myself.   I'm a happy camper.. Haven't seen any published T@B books though.   
    I made all of the newbie mistakes, trust me.

Richard Lewis, a long time T@b owner did write an e-book, but he owned a Dutchman T@b.  http://amzn.to/1UQeS22

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Yes, we still have our T@B, but…. got our first RV last year. You'd think manuals could be correct & applicable in a $100,000+ motorhome, but no, same thing: Manual for solar panel controller? Totally different than what was installed. Same for power inverter- totally different. Had to go online to get the correct manuals, which I was fortunately able to do.  Even the dealer wasn't up to snuff on a lot of the newer things in the RV. Have had to figure a lot of stuff on my own, but hey-- that's part of the adventure, right?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Coming from a product development and manufacturing environment, I would have assumed that RV manufacturers would employ technical writers and would train their dealers.

I have to say the adventure should be seeing the country and meeting new people, not spending hours figuring out how the trailer works. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    irvingj said:
    Yes, we still have our T@B, but…. got our first RV last year. You'd think manuals could be correct & applicable in a $100,000+ motorhome, but no, same thing: Manual for solar panel controller? Totally different than what was installed. Same for power inverter- totally different. Had to go online to get the correct manuals, which I was fortunately able to do.  Even the dealer wasn't up to snuff on a lot of the newer things in the RV. Have had to figure a lot of stuff on my own, but hey-- that's part of the adventure, right?
    Good point. Many of you have owned other RV's; did you feel the quality of their manuals and other literature was significantly better than what LG provides? 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    We bought a 2006 Winnebago View MH in 2006 and kept it 7 years, 49,000 miles.  It had a manual printed out for the MH, plus it came with a case,  with all the individual manufacturers literature put in seperated files, per plumbing, electronics, appliances, etc.  Plus, our 2004 Fleetwood class A MH and 2000 Coachman class C MH all had manuals Included with them.  They are big companies, but Scamp is not and check out their maintenance videos.
  • Options
    Actually,  that is an idea..  No new manuals,  just a spot for a large collection of how to videos...  Btw, Happy Easter everyone... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    As to what are the switches for,  our dealer would have been more than happy to just let us drive away,  but my wife started at one quarter,  pointed and asked,  what does this do,  then moving in one direction,  we proceeded to the next, same thing... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Photomom said:
    Coming from a product development andmanufacturing environment, I would have assumed that RV manufacturers would employ technical writers and would train their dealers.

I have to say the adventure should be seeing the country and meeting new people, not spending hours figuring out how the trailer works. 
    Coming from the adult education world, it would be better to employ an instructional designer to wrote a manual. Tech writers are usually too technically detailed for the lay person. Additionally, an instructional designer knows how to leverage adult learning principles to create content that connects with people. Really, such a person could handle the customer and dealer education. While the engineers and tech people may prefer a tech manual, they do not comprise the majority of owners.

Most people hate their owners manuals because they have the wrong people writing them.

Current market trends for all industries is for the business to become more buyer focused. LG and PV are extremely buyer focused. Scott Hubble even publishes his cell phone number. I am also not aware of any other RV distributor that has a dedicated owners forum.