Options

Clean and Shiny

DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
My friend, who owns an RV but not a T@B, suggested we apply a good paste wax once we get our new T@B home. Any wax recommendations?
DeeDee & The Captain
2016 Orange MaxQ
Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Yes, I use NuFinish, it comes in an orange can, at WalMart, easy to work with, it's suppose to last a year and is top rated by Consumer Reports.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Yes, I use NuFinish, it comes in an orange can, at WalMart, easy to work with, it's suppose to last a year and is top rated by Consumer Reports.
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on everything,  cars, boat,  lawn tractor, bicycles; so I'll probably use it on the T@B too when I get around to giving it it's first wax.    It's highly rated and I find it easy to use.  I prefer to keep products on hand that work on more than one thing when possible,  and wax is one of them.    I'll plug another product while I keep on hand since I had to order some today.  Boeshield T-9 is a great lubricant and rust prohibitor.  I use it on my bicycle chains,  coat my boat motor that runs in salt water, and I put  it on the T@Bs trailer jack and hitch receiver to keep it from rusting.  Very wet here in the PNW and I live on saltwater, so have to be proactive.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm a bad T@B mommy!!! I've just washed the baby (and that was during an inspection for loose things). No waxing. I need to be punished by taking it out for its first camping trip to make the baby forget she's not especially shiny. Her cuteness will be a distraction.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We use "ICE Spray" by Turtle Wax. Once the unit is really clean we spray on and then buff with micro fiber towels. It is so easy and gives a great glossy finish. It is even good on glass. So easy we do it once a quarter.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Ordered from Amazon today. Thanks!

DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ

• Options
    SusanLESusanLE Member Posts: 14
    Why wax at all?  Just curious....
    It seems with a simple washing of dawn or car wash soap - the finish does nicely all by itself.
    We have decals on the back so I would be concerned about polishing the surface much.
    What say ye experts.....
    LIVE*LOVE*TRAVEL
    2007 T@B (DM) - "T@BOO42"
    ("42 - The answer to life, the universe and everything...")

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I wax once or twice a year so that dirt is easier to come off. It looks so much prettier. I did the same with my Silver Shadow teardrop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    If you are here in the South helps protect the gel coat
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    SusanLE said:

Here in the Wild West, we have a super high mineral content in our rain and irrigation water. This leaves deposits which are very hard to clean unless you've waxed or protected the surface.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    SusanLE said:
    It seems with a simple washing of dawn or car wash soap - the finish does nicely all by itself.
    We have decals on the back so I would be concerned about polishing the surface much.
    What say ye experts.....

Please, please, do not wash a vehicle or your trailer with dawn or any other dishwashing detergent. It strips all of the polymers from any area where it is painted. It can also cause fiber glass to chalk over time. Think about what it is used for. Pulling any grease and such from dishes. THe surface of plates and silverware is a much tougher coating for this purpose. Easy test is to rub you finger together after washing something dishes and drying them. They will be squeaky clean and not slide. Do the same with car wash and you fingers will feel like they have a film. That is the protectants for the paint and such.

I have all of the supplies to do professional detailing of a vehicle finish and even when stripping one clean I use a citrus cleaner as it is safe for the finish. The top is painted and the side I believe are gel coated. These should be taken care of the same as you would a car. Use car wash solution, dry, and hit with a sealant every so often depending on how the trailer is stored. The finish will stay looking new and will resist those nasty streaks from rain and such you see.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hunter, I was surprised at the info (same as you said) about car washing in 2006 when I got my Rav4. It doesn't have a gel coat, but the person who gave such a good explanation about washing vehicles (all kinds), said the exact same thing. Use products made for vehicles, especially those that are custom or have custom paint jobs. He was animent about certain types of trim, wheel cleaner, clay bars (for TVs), and how to use each product. I'm sorry I don't have the link, but hunter made the explanation simple and clear for a gel-coated camper. Thanks for the reminder, hunter!! 

PS I also have specialty products for my motorcycle. Probably overkill and can use auto things, but I'm particularly attached to this bike. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)