Options

Dumping Gray Water

DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
Those of you with newer M@X models (no toilet) and the larger gray water tank, do you use/need a sewer hose to empty your gray water?
DeeDee & The Captain
2016 Orange MaxQ
Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you have a tank underneath, and if you have the outlet with valve, yes, you need to have the dump hose.  You will need to visit a dump  station to empty the contents. And, even gray water has an odor to it....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As others have said, you still have to visit a dump station, but with gray water there is an alternative to the large sewer hose.

You can get a cap for the outlet that converts it to a regular hose fitting, connect a regular hose to that, and then connect the hose to a specially made sewer fitting that you can use at the dump station.  This solution is less expensive and saves space.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Didn't even consider dumping on the ground. The hose adapter is the info I was looking for. Thanks!
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

Or you can simply wait until you get home and dump it in the toilet.  This 18 qt. (4.5 gl.) bucket from HomeDepot fits perfectly under the dump valves on the T@B.  Only $3.97:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/18-Qt-Spout-Pail-11254306/204588006

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    It fits under the Outback drains.  Pail is 11 3/4" tall.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    This has been a topic of discussion with us for some time.
    Before the T@B, we camped in a tent ( for over forty years ). We have camped in Wilderness, National Parks, National Forest, and BLM with no grey water tank. We cooked and cleaned dishes with biodegradable soap and dumped the "grey water" away from streams. In bear country you made sure you cooked and dumped the water well away from streams and camp.  Some busier campgrounds with running water toilets might have a service sink for dumping, most do not. You washed up much the same way. The key was biodegradable soap and water the trees not the streams. The trees usually needed it.
    Now we camp in the same places ( except for KOA on occasion ) in our T@B with a wetbath, maybe next to a tent site. The tent site still does as I discribe above but I'm suppose to use a dump station? Doesn't make sense to me. I understand using the dump station at a crowded KOA or other RV Resort but I've seen no such rule at most of the campgrounds we stay at. The key is what you put in the "grey water".

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    17 gal vs 1 gal- what to you think- who knows what's in the grey holding tank of your neighbor- what about the 30 to 80 gal grey holding tanks- a lot of saturated ground around you- self policing is a great idea, but is it realistic with the amounts in question.  Also, it's illegal in our state of WI.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Gotta think of the people that pee in the shower too lol -  statistics say the majority of folks do. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Ratkity said:
    Gotta think of the people that pee in the shower too lol -  statistics say the majority of folks do. :)
    Will worry about that when dogs stop peeing on the ground. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    edited July 2018
    Camped a week in Arches NP last fall. Had a great site but took an hour to clean up the dog poop around the place. Bet they didn't worry too much about pee.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Ratkity said:
    The biggest problem with pee isn't the natural contents (unless you pee in a stream) but the flush through of any medicines you may take. Hope the trees near my campsite like a little extra vitamin B.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    OMG Gnomies, you are so funny! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just as a follow-up, we cut a short section of garden hose which we attached to a sewer cap w/a hose connection. Worked great at the dump stations and made it easy to drain into a bucket and empty into gray water receptacles.

DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    How about attaching a soaker hose to the gray water drain and letting it drain slowly over a large area?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ramrod said:
    How about attaching a soaker hose to the gray water drain and letting it drain slowly over a large area?
    It is very illegal to dispose of gray water in such a manner. All waste water must be disposed of in approved disposal site. Check with your campground. It is also illegal on BLM ground and other national lands. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    DeeDee- how about a picture!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RhodiemaxRhodiemax Member Posts: 5
    I'm the new proud owner of an 08 T@B. I have not used the sink/water system yet.

Do I have a gray water tank? How do you open the gray water drain? Is there an open close valve?

I see a tube sticking down under the trailer with a screw cap but no open close valve.  

If I don't have a gray water tank do I just hook up a hose into a grey water tank on the outside every time I want to use the sink?

There is a gray cap with a square head to one side. What is that for?

I can't find and answer. 

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Rhodiemax said:
    I'm the new proud owner of an 08 T@B. I have not used the sink/water system yet.

Do I have a gray water tank? How do you open the gray water drain? Is there an open close valve?

I see a tube sticking down under the trailer with a screw cap but no open close valve.  

If I don't have a gray water tank do I just hook up a hose into a grey water tank on the outside every time I want to use the sink?

There is a gray cap with a square head to one side. What is that for?

I can't find and answer. 

Your 2008 does not have a grey tank. If you use the sink, you need to put a portable container under the grey water drain or connect a hose directly to the sewer line if your campsite has sewer. (The tube sticking down with a screw cap). The grey cap with a square head to one side is most likely your low point drain for ensuring all water is out of the system for winterizing.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I met one person with the same drainage tube set up for their LG Tear's outdoor kitchen. She had someone rig a pvc extension to the edge of the Tear so she didn't have to bend over to hook and unhook a gray tank or put the plug back in the drain tube. I had a Coleman popup I did the same thing. An essential mod when you have back problems!!

PS Unless you are PXL, he is the master at T@B Yoga - he's most adept at 3am during propane tank changes.
  • Options
    RhodiemaxRhodiemax Member Posts: 5
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, 'Ya just have to watch out when PXL is wearing his pink flamingo skivvies to change out the propane tank! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I just remembered that my grandmothers kitchen sink drained directly into her garden. And I ate all those wonderful veggies and fruit! Now what!
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I use a 12 gallon Theford portable dunp tank. Works great.

http://www.thetford.com/product/smarttote-2-wheel/
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".