Options

Water filter

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
do most of you use a water filter as well as a pressure regulator when you hook up in a park?

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    i have acquired an RV water filter that I'll use when campground water looks dodgy, to keep the tank and plumbing clean. I have a Pur filter we've used for drinking and cooking when camping and will continue to use it in the T@B. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I use a filter because most of the state and national parks I have aren't on municipal water. They are on a well system. I've even been to campsites where there were warnings not to use a certain taps (reason could be heavy metals, not the water itself). That said, the filter is mostly for odor and off-colored water (not harmful, probably just a little rust, clay or sulfur). Using the filter just keeps things like the potty from staining (sink is colored, not white). Like St_Bob, I use it only for washing and flushing. I fill up bottles of water from the house to use for drinking. 

Remember, the filters are for one season use only, no matter if you are a full-timer or only an occasional weekend warrior. Lots of use = lots of stuff the filter catches. Mild to moderate use, bacteria will grow in the off-season. Big rigs have permanent filters like house ones. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Wow Bobbo. Not something I thought of happening! I will keep that in mind. Thank you!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @ST_Bob, how are the RV filters at removing minerals (calcium) from water? We have lived in some areas where the calcium build-up in water heaters, etc was terrible. You would pour a glass of water with ice and by the time you finished, the bottom of the glass was coated with calcium flakes.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    I guess I will follow my lifelong adage "eat more dirt." It builds up immunities 
  • Options
    The type of filters that claim they remove minerals really cannot. In the lab, we had a 2x2.5 ft high layered cylinders (about 6" diameter) for cold distillation of water. These cylinders had increasing layers of different material to capture different minerals (as they have different properties to pull out of the water) and then tapered all the way down to a flat 0.2 micron filter. That is the only size filter that will pull out bacteria. The water in the lab building was so bad and had a lot of rust in in it and clogged the expensive cylinders, so we put 3 house filters in prior to the distiller. Use (or not) a filter depending on experience and/or peace of mind. Ultimately, this is a personal decision and no one will think any less of you if you don't use one.
  • Options
    VagabondsVagabonds Member Posts: 35
    If you use a water filter, what is the order of pressure regulator, filter and hose?  
    camper>filter>regulator>hose>city water spigot?  Or does the regulator go next to camper with filter next: camper>regulator>filter>hose>spigot?  
    I know that there has been other discussions of what side (camper or spigot) the regulator goes on; we choose the camper side.  Other than that, what is the order?
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I put a 90* brass fitting in the side of the T@B (less wear and tear on the fittings and hoses), a brass pressure regulator next to it, the hose, a water filter at the faucet and connect to the faucet. Turn the water on a bit, go inside and check the pressure at the kitchen faucet. If not enough, turn the outside spigot up a wee bit more.I never turn the spigot on full force--just enough so I can have a good flow for my morning shower. 

Putting the regulator at the T@B end means you are less likely to leave your $10 pressure regulator on the spigot at the campground (says the voice of experience...).  And, during the day, the heat of the sun can increase the pressure inside the hose, so you want the pressure regulator at the far end of the, which is at the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you both!
     Clarification:
    Verna = T@b>90 degree brass elbow>brass pressure regulator>hose>filter>spigot

ST_Bob= T@b>filter>regulator>hose> spigot OR T@b>hose>regulator>filter>spigot

[This is what happens when you read the forum non-stop, get a wonderful T@b, have a successful shakedown, don't camp for 6 months, stop reading the forum and forget everything you've learned and read! Hopefully that will not happen again!  Love the T@b too much to let it sit! :o ]
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    I put a 90* brass fitting in the side of the T@B (less wear and tear on the fittings and hoses), a brass pressure regulator next to it, the hose, a water filter at the faucet and connect to the faucet. Turn the water on a bit, go inside and check the pressure at the kitchen faucet. If not enough, turn the outside spigot up a wee bit more.I never turn the spigot on full force--just enough so I can have a good flow for my morning shower. 

Putting the regulator at the T@B end means you are less likely to leave your $10 pressure regulator on the spigot at the campground (says the voice of experience...).  And, during the day, the heat of the sun can increase the pressure inside the hose, so you want the pressure regulator at the far end of the, which is at the T@B. 
    This is true. Also, When I was last in Moab (in 100 degree weather) my neighbor at the campground told me he recommended it come at the trailer because water pressure can build up in the hose in the hot desert sun.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Found this e-trailer video.
    According to this there are two options:  
    1) spigot>pressure regulator>hose>water filter>no-kink adaptor>T@b; or,
    2) spigot>no-kink adaptor>pressure regulator>water filter>hose>T@b.  
    I think that the regulator next to the T@b makes sense for hot weather.  I am not sure that there is a wrong answer in any configuration, as long as you are using a regulator.  Thanks for the input everyone! On to the next topic!