Options

Loose Screws

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
I know this has been mentioned before as part of another thread, but I think it worthy of another mention.  It is a good idea to check all the screws on your trailer at least once a year as they tend to loosen a little due to vibration in travel.  Different models will have a different number of screws, but mine has 112 on the outside, not counting those in the keder rail or hidden by trim.  I always find a few that are a little loose, and did again today.  In addition to the loose ones on the trim, I also found that one of the screws anchoring the LP regulator had loosened.  CAUTION:  These screws should be snugged but not "tightened," as some are anchored in fiberglass and will easily strip.  If you happen to strip one, you can use caulk before putting it back in to help hold it in place.  I've found that works pretty well on the one or two that I've stripped.

It would also be a good idea to check for loose bolts/nuts underneath and screws inside the trailer.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I did that before I headed home. Thanks, Larry. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LOL RZ, you counted all of the outside ones. Now I'm gonna have to do that!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    LOL RZ, you counted all of the outside ones. Now I'm gonna have to do that!
    I know.  Crazy, huh?  The first time I checked them, there were so many, my curiosity got the better of me.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I was only counting water piping last night, their junction points (double-checked all valves were in correct position as well). I feel so *sniff* inadequate. There weren't that many of those!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Always a good reminder, Larry, thanks!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would it be a good idea to use Loctite or similar to hold the screws in place?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    It's a laminate wall and aluminum supports. I think locktite works only when threads meet threads. Adding toothpicks and wood glue to a stripped screw area, let dry and put the screw back in usually is a handy trick. Silicone may or may not hold to both screw and what you are trying to keep screwed into the camper. Silicone is touchy in that any residual oils or dirt will cause it not to adhere. It's always good to silicone around a set screw or use lapseal to make sure nothing seeps in around the area.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Would it be a good idea to use Loctite or similar to hold the screws in place?
    I would not worry about it unless they came way out and you had difficulty screwing them back in.  Most you find loose will take less than a full turn to snug back up.  Remember not to over-tighten.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Use Goop! Custom made for OCD screw counter-tighteners wherever you may find them.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S