Options

Hang drying clothes?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Looking for tips on how everyone who might do laundry by hand hang dries their clothes. I have been using 2 rubber clotheslines, which can be used inside and oth. I like how they work, but wondering if anyone has any better ideas with a small footprint? 

My ideas so far are: over the door clothes rack and store when not in use, tension rod in the wet bath, or a wall mounted expandable clothes rack on wall behind toilet. I am looking for viable inside options to keep sand and dust from blowing up on clean laundry. I am also looking for better methods of wringing out clothes than rolling in a towel.

Ideas?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You asked about inside options, but have you seen the wooden clothesline arms that fit on the T@B handles on the drivers side? That looks like a good option for when you can hang things out. I intend to make a set. Much classier than stringing a rope between two trees. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    You asked about inside options, but have you seen the wooden clothesline arms that fit on the T@B handles on the drivers side? That looks like a good option for when you can hang things out. I intend to make a set. Much classier than stringing a rope between two trees. 

Yes, I have. But as I said, I want a place to be able to dry that will not result in dust and sand blowing up on to clean laundry. This would be even more true, if lower to the ground, like between the handles.  Also, often the T@b is more visible and likely to draw attention than clothes hung at the back of the campsite.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    This seems overkill but is the only way I know to mechanically wring out clothes. My grandmother had one on her old Maytag. It left things horribly wrinkled as I recall. http://www.amazon.com/Calliger-Clothing-Wringer-Laundry-Chamois/dp/B00OAPW6GM/ref=pd_bxgy_265_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DCJXTQ07RMKJP8671RT
  • Options
    kcbratkcbrat Member Posts: 12
    Not sure what you are using for a washer but this little guy (no pun intended) really removes most of the water when done.  This is what we use for all camping trips and emergencies with no power. :)http://smile.amazon.com/Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash-Non-electric-Portable/dp/B002C8HR9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459894926&sr=8-2&keywords=wonder+washer Take a look this might solve the drying issue a bit.  Clothes that come out of this washer really only need minimal dry time. 
    Kathy and Sorcha, Front Range, Colorado - Coming to campground near you soon : 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel -- T@B Q Max Outback or 400 - Once we decide :)
  • Options
    Here's a DIY washer that includes a "wringer."

"Once clothes are clean, remove bucket with holes from the surrounding pail. Take the bucket without holes and push it into the pail with the clothes in order to push as much water out as possible."

http://www.survivopedia.com/diy-bucket-washer/#
  • Options
    @Photomom I have looked at that for a couple of years and although it looks like it would work well, I can't bring myself to spend that much on a wringer. I use a Scrubba bag to wash clothes. It is very small and it works for camping and when I travel for business.

So I am going to try a salad spinner. It should work for most things except for jeans.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Jenn, I saw a redneck wringer idea that just used a rolling pin on a rock to rid the clothes of excess water.  Then just hang inside to dry.  Works for me. :):)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Rolling pin on the hood of the jeep?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    During my 3 months wintering in AZ, I just found a laundromat every 10 to
    14 days. It was easy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    During my 3 months wintering in AZ, I just found a laundromat every 10 to
    14 days. It was easy. 
    I will do that but will want to do smaller loads in between so I can pack fewer clothes.

• Options
    You could put the clothes in a mesh laundry bag, tie a rope to it, and swing it in a circle. Centrifugal force, same thing that makes a salad spinner work. 
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    You could put the clothes in a mesh laundry bag, tie a rope to it, and swing it in a circle. Centrifugal force, same thing that makes a salad spinner work. 
    That is a bad idea, especially for jeans.

• Options
    Have you considered quick dry hiking pants?
  • Options
    As a plus they usually have lots of pockets for camera doodads. :-)
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Have you considered quick dry hiking pants?
    I do have several pair and love them, but they are not warm and jeans are a lot more comfortable for early morning alpine shoots where I haven't hiked to reach the spot.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @jkJenn, when I'm backpacking in transitional seasons, I wear quick dry hiking pants and a base layer of capilene. Very quick drying and I can take them off and shove them in my pack as the day warms, and back on in the late afternoons. In Colorado, we live by layering.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    @jkJenn, when I'm backpacking in transitional seasons, I wear quick dry hiking pants and a base layer of capilene. Very quick drying and I can take them off and shove them in my pack as the day warms, and back on in the late afternoons. In Colorado, we live by layering.
    Good to know. I usually wear a silk baselayer, but Capilene seems like it might breathe better.

• Options
    The first test shows that the salad spinner is a good cheap solution. I tried it on a couple of quick dry items and a 100% cotton long sleeved shirt. It isn't perfect but pumping it is a lot easier than straining my hands and wrists trying squeeze every last drop out. The proof was in the water it collected at the bottom. It has a smaller footprint that some other solutions out there.

Later, I will try a pair of jeans, not in the salad spinner, but by stepping on the Scrubba bag to squeeze out water before the wringing and towel fold. I don't know why stepping on it never occurred to me before, but I think it could help.

• Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Photomom, I have searched the whole forum but did not find information about those wooden arms you mention that fasten to the driver's side handles. did anyone mention where to find them and I missed it? 
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    kccate said:
    Photomom, I have searched the whole forum but did not find information about those wooden arms you mention that fasten to the driver's side handles. did anyone mention where to find them and I missed it? 
    I think there are multiple sources but I know you can get the template (actually 2 files) from the T@B Camping Trailers page on facebook. You will need to join the page, and the templates are on their Files page. If you cannot get to it PM me your email address and I will send you the pdf files.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    To get a clothesline higher up, you could use two cheap painter poles atrached to the handles like I do with my antenna pole.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    To get a clothesline higher up, you could use two cheap painter poles atrached to the handles like I do with my antenna pole.
    Nah, why do that when you have got a saber saw?

When I get the camper I will first make a template from foam core board and make sure it fits the handles. I'm not 100% convinced the template files are to scale.
  • Options
    SonnySonny Member Posts: 13
    Try this on-  it's on Amazon- Greenway foldable drying rack with wall mount
    Also, have you ever used a Wonder Wash portable washer.  Fantastic!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - Because it's quick, easy, and cheap - And doubles as an antenna pole :-)
  • Options
    Sonny said:
    Try this on-  it's on Amazon- Greenway foldable drying rack with wall mount
    Also, have you ever used a Wonder Wash portable washer.  Fantastic!
    Thanks, I have looked at that and maybe eventually. I think it might e a little wide to be practical in a T@b.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2016
    This is just a thought that you may have already passed through your head and abandoned.... but have you considered a spring-loaded shower rod? It would go across the inside of the T@B across the bed and can be supported by the side support boards (if your T@B has these, mine does). You can get the rods in different colors too.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    This is just a thought that you may have already passed through your head and abandoned.... but have you considered a spring-loaded shower rod? It would go across the inside of the T@B across the bed and can be supported by the side support boards (if your T@B has these, mine does). You can get the rods in different colors too.
    Yes, and I haven't ruled it out. I have these clotheslines made of surgical rubber that work pretty well and I use command hooks and other existing anchor points, but it might make sense to do both.

My bigger problem is that my hands get really sore from ringing out the clothes. That's the big challenge.