Options

Grabbing Brakes

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
edited April 2016 in Trailer & Towing
I have the bargain priced Tekonsha Voyager 9030 proportional brake controller:

The controller is properly mounted and carefully adjusted per the user's manual.

Last season, I noticed the brakes had a tendency to lock up. This would happen suddenly, while applying the brakes, just as the vehicle was about to come to a stop. It seemed to happen most frequently when stopping on a slight downhill incline. However, it did not happen consistently. Routine adjustment of the brake shoes seemed to have no effect.

I could prevent the problem by letting up a bit on the brake just before the stop, or by dialing the controller level way back. Workable but imperfect solutions.

Anybody have any experience with this controller, or with this particular problem? If so, any insights? Thanks!

2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I'm with ScottG.  I have a POD controller and am having the same problem.  It is the same controller I used with my Scamp, no changes.  But my T@B does the same thing.  I can adjust it way down, but don't like relying on my SUV brakes to stop the trailer.  I have to wonder if it isn't the brakes rather than the controller. Do trailer brakes get adjusted?
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    T@b-ooT@b-oo Member Posts: 6
    We got our 2016 T@b in September 2015 and have taken it on only one (long) trip.  We have a Curt Venturer brake control and are having the same problem.  Have dialed it back as far as we dare, and the brakes are still grabby.    This seems unsafe.  Our 2016 T@B is still in winter storage, but I contacted the factory over the winter.  The response was that we could take it anywhere we want to have it checked out and possibly adjusted, get a receipt, and send it in.  Then they will decide whether Little Guy should cover it and pay the bill or not.   Since we all have different controllers, seems like the brakes are the culprit.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    We are having the same issues and also have the Voyager controller.  We downloaded the instructions (since our dealer forgot to give them to us) and watched the video.  We adjusted the brakes and all seemed to be great on the short (60 mi) trip out to where we were going, but on the return trip, they started grabbing again.  Are you supposed to adjust it every time you disconnect the TV from the t@b?
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    Good question, Nerdy1.   I re-read the instructions for my Curt controller, and they say, "If the trailer brakes are weak, adjust the Output Control to the right.  If the trailer brakes jerk or lockup, adjust the Output Control to the left.  Repeat this step until firm braking is felt without lockup."  I don't know whether this will resolve the issue or not, but I will try it before I try anything mechanical.  
  • Options
    So, in reference to the suggestion above from ST_Bob, does anybody know whether the T@b electronic brakes are self-adjusting?
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    My understanding is that these are not self-adjusting - I think I got that information from the guys at the factory. I had a problem with grabby brakes when I first picked up my used trailer; they replaced the offending hub/brake assembly. They have been much better, but recently the other side started the grabbing. I thought the magnet surface on the drum being scored was causing the magnet to grab, so I had them resurfaced. Seemed to help on the first test drive, but second time out they are bad again - even with the power setting as low as it goes. I'm now at a loss, and will likely take the trailer to a pro for a look-see when I get a chance. If I take the T@b out in the meantime, it'll be without using the trailer brakes except for freeway travel.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ScottG said:
    I have the bargain priced Tekonsha Voyager 9030 proportional brake controller:

The controller is properly mounted and carefully adjusted per the user's manual.

Last season, I noticed the brakes had a tendency to lock up. This would happen suddenly, while applying the brakes, just as the vehicle was about to come to a stop. It seemed to happen most frequently when stopping on a slight downhill incline. However, it did not happen consistently. Routine adjustment of the brake shoes seemed to have no effect.

Anybody have any experience with this controller, or with this particular problem? If so, any insights? Thanks!

From Etrailer and their response -  Tekonsha Controller Issue

Technical Assistance Call Toll-Free: 1-888-785-5832 or www.tekonsha.com
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I had the Voyager in a pickup at work a few years ago and was a bit grabby.  If not used for awhile and the drums have any rust it is worse until the drums polish up.  I have a P2 in my Jeep and it was very smooth bringing the new T@B home, but only 30 miles.  I also have a newer F150 with factory controller.  Brake combination is all most as nice as air brakes. The F150 one is very integrated into the trucks electronics.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    The T@b brakes are not self-adjusting--they need to be periodically set as described above by ST_Bob.

The AL-KO axle manual includes both an improperly set/defective controller and "brakes under adjusted" (whatever that means) as possible causes for grabbing.

Mike, thanks for the Etrailer link. It seems plausible that the mechanical innards of the older tech Voyager could play a role, particularly where the grabbing occurs intermittently, only under certain stopping conditions, and that dialing back on the level control mitigates the problem. Barring an upgrade to a fancier controller, it may be one of those things that just requires on-the-fly fine tuning for different conditions.

Of course, even if the controller mechanics are the culprit, I'm sure brake adjustment and condition also factor in.

I'll keep twiddling with it once the T@b is out of mothballs. Thanks for all your input--be sure to update if you learn anything new!   
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Do the new T@bs have AL-KO axles?  Mine is a 2016 LG.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Dexter and AL-KO merged awhile back.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    T@b-oo said:
    Do the new T@bs have AL-KO axles?  Mine is a 2016 LG.
    Mine's a 2015. I haven't heard of any changes, but I don't know.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Doh! I'm embarrassed. My "grabby brakes" was operator error. I have a time-delay controller rather than a proportional controller, and I had the max power / delay adjustments reversed. I thought .5, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, etc up to 10 was the number of seconds delay to max set power, and the 10, 20, 30, 40, etc adjustment was the percentage of max power being applied. But noooo, the first is the percent of max power (with .5 being equivalent to 5%, 1.0 = 10%, etc) and the latter is how quickly is ramps up (the time delay) to max power. Soooo, 10 is real slow, and 90 is real fast.

Bottom line, I thought I had a long delay to relatively low power with a setting of 9.5 / 20, but really that was a long delay (20) to 95% of max power.

(This should give you folks an idea of how much weight you give to any other advice I may provide on this forum...)

- gcw

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you're seaking professional advice, find a good utility trailer place. I stopped at 10 different brake outfits, 15 different auto parts stores, three camper places and not one knew anything about electric brakes. Finally found a place in Vegas (Vegas Trailer / Campout) that were knowledgable and had parts.
  • Options
    ST_Bob - Can the proportional controllers solid-state sensors be mounted in any position? I probably should've gone that route, but now that I understand the operator error, this TD one seems to be adequate. I'll likely stick with the TD since I'm already there, unless I run into further issues.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    If you're seaking professional advice, find a good utility trailer place. I stopped at 10 different brake outfits, 15 different auto parts stores, three camper places and not one knew anything about electric brakes. Finally found a place in Vegas (Vegas Trailer / Campout) that were knowledgable and had parts.
    100% agree. They won't give you the warm fuzzies but they know their stuff.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn, not all do...
    At least none that I talked to in Parker, Lake Havasu City, Bullhead City & Kingman - That's why I uprouted and headed to Vegas. Even in Vegas, Las Vegas Trailer was the only one that was knowledgable. You'd think with all the campers, boat trailers and construction trailers out there there'd be more.
    Sahara RV was somewhat knowledgable but didn't stock parts. UHaul with all their trailers didn't mess with electrics. CampingWorld was a no go.
  • Options
    I am going to bookmark this thread.  I have grabby brakes on my trailer.  Right now, the axle is being replaced (from AL-KO to Dexter) because of bent axle causing tire wear.  When I get it back, will see if the axle was at fault.  If not, then process of elimination of brakes, then brake controller.  This routine is getting old.  Take trip, get repairs, take trip, get repairs.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Same controller, different problem, but step 'A' was cleaning the seven pin connector, and putting dielectric grease on the connections, solved problem maybe not yours, but worth a "cheap" fix try! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    I used the cheaper Tekonsha controller on my landscaping trailer (many years ago).  Never could dial the controller in.  When I purchased the T@B I went with a Prodigy P3.  Perfect.  So nice.  Worth the extra money.  I have it dialed in perfect.  Only took 3 minutes to calibrate to T@b weight.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    The axle of my 2015 cs-s max was just replaced.   In a prior post I described my gabby brakes and how I had to dial down the controller to almost nothing.  Now, I have the controller is dialed way up, no more grabbing.  The repair person had to add the brakes to the axle, rewire to the plug, adjust the brakes and test.  After picking up the trailer and not resetting the POD, I didn't think that the brakes were connected.  Then I upped the dial and the took hold properly  without grabbing, just like it should.  I think the problem was it was never set right at the factory or the bent axle.  How many have gabby brakes and early (<5000 miles) tire wear?
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH