Options

Glycol dripping from under our T@B...any help would be great

We just picked up out T@B last week and we noticed a leak of glycol under the back driver's side.  There is no leak inside of the trailer, so that's good.  Not sure if this is right because it seems like a lot of glycol and now, our overflow tank doesn't even have any glycol left.  Please help me out!! 
We had a problem with the overflow tank last fall.  The couplers on the bottom of the tank failed and was replaced with a new tank.  That doesn't seem to be the problem this time.  
Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    That looks like that might be the drain for the Alde's closed glycol loop. It's certainly in the right spot.

I've never opened it, but I think it's just a plug of some sort. Since you don't have glycol leaking in the trailer, I'm guessing that plug-thingy-whatever just needs to be tightened or perhaps replaced.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    The expansion tank was replaced already.  

Thanks Scott, I'll look into that. 

Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Looks like the same issue we had a couple of months ago. We traced it back to the auto air vent (has a brass top) in the main glycol heat line. Contact Ed Kauffman at the factory for a replacement. Installing the new vent is not too difficult if you are a little handy with tools but you do need to drain the ALDE first. In fact you might just want to get some replacement glycol from the factory also.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Spoke with the Dealer and he wasn't to positive about the situation i.e. looks like they need to take the T@B in and check it out.  The dealer is 2 1/5 hours away and the time and gas spent is too much to handle after the expansion leak we had at the Grand Canyon last fall right after we bought the T@B.  I'm hoping they will work this out efficiently and monetarily in our favor. We are NOT happy and hope to get this fixed ASAP. 
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    If that photo is of the Alde drain hose, where is the brass plug and clamp that I thought should be inserted in the end of the drain hose?
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    If that photo is of the Alde drain hose, where is the brass plug and clamp that I thought should be inserted in the end of the drain hose?
    Good question....what does yours look like?
  • Options
    I am not good at directing you to a site location on the forum, enter "unknown drain" in search and there is a picture.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:
     I don't think it's that. Here's the whole picture of everything that's down there. The "open" tube is where the glycol was coming thru
  • Options
    It looks like "skwhee" has got the answer, most of the venting tubes collect in that drain.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah that looks like the spot where the three? 'overflow' tubes come together and drain through the floor. Rubber plug inside the Alde compartment with three little hoses stuck in it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Cindy B noticed a puddle of glycol on the ground. Turns out her resivour tank was over filled by accident and the puddle came from the overflow tube from the top of the tank. Maybe check the tank level to see if it's in the normal range of fluid. Just a thought. Verna helped her with this.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The OP said the glycol tank is now empty, and the tank was already replaced due to the problem with its elbow cracking.

It sounds like the pressure relief (air bleeder?) brass thingy in the glycol line might be leaking.

You could check those three hoses that stick into that rubber plug I referred to to see which one is wet with glycol, and trace it back.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    This was the air vent that we replaced recently. We verified the problem by tracing the tube (the black tubing in the illustration below) leaking the glycol back to this Automatic Air Vent  in the ALDE compartment. We contacted Ed Kauffman and he sent us a warranty replacement. We drained the ALDE through the drain shown in the far right of the photo you posted. Then we replaced the part (just two clamps) and refilled the system at the reservoir tank. Since you have lost so much glycol already, be sure to get a supply of glycol shipped out to you along with the part. Hopefully this will be a workable solution in your situation.
    Happy Trails!
    Steve & Karen
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2016
    I would speak to Ed Kauffman at the factory and discuss it with him.  Many times they will suggest a local repair shop if you have travel or other issues, but you will need to clarify and clear things through him first and see what he recommends and get the necessary repairs made.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. We are getting that part from the factory and glycol too. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    So, this spring we took the TaB out of storage and noted the glycol was a little low, so we added some to the expansion tank.  Then we noticed some dried glycol residue around the brass Alde auto air vent.  So, at uCamp 2019,  we asked Spencer the Alde rep about it and he reported that it was not uncommon and nothing to be worried about.  Then earlier this month, we brought the TaB home from storage and found the expansion tank empty.  Thought that strange and did not connect the spot on the driveway with our low tank - thought it was water from the clear tubing!  Added a lot of glycol to the expansion tank.  So, we have another spot on the driveway and the Alde tank level dropped again, and we confirmed that it was glycol.

We called Spencer who said that the air vent has a float valve that sometimes sticks open and that allows glycol to leak out.  He said a very low tech repair method is to just whack it with a flip- flop or whatever you have available to try to release the float!  So, I will report back to see if we can stop the leak.  Gotta dig out my flip flops.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Still dripping.  Will need to replace the auto air vent after all☹️
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Trying to understand what's happening there, @Sharon_is_SAM.. Does the leakage come out of the brass air vent, or does the stuck air vent cause he glycol to be pushed out of the expansion tank overflow tube?
    Also wondering if something similar could happen if the glycol pump was turned up too high.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    The real leak is actually coming through the black tube connected to the air vent - not leaking from the expansion tank overflow at all.  I am not sure how the glycol actually leaks from the brass air vent leaving the residue.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Just discovered my Alde glycol reservoir is pretty much empty.   I do recall last winter in Arizona, that I would get a drip spot underneath the trailer in the area mentioned here.   I just filled my reservoir and we'll see what happens.   Do the leaks mentioned only happen when the Alde is being used?  Does it also leak when the Alde is not turned on?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Leaks when the Alde is on or off.  That is why the reservoir was empty when we brought it out of storage.