Options

Just finished the Battery Cut Off and Solar installation

Thanks to all the great folks on this forum (especially Jenn's posts). When I got our T@B all I knew was we were over always having to tent camp and I was focused, as a builder in my past, on a floor plan that worked for our goals. The Q fit the bill and I was able to get one (2015) last Fall. So I focused on the layout and never knew anything about batteries and power, I had actually never stepped foot in a RV or trailer. Thank goodness the T@B spent the winter in a snow bank and I spent the time reading and studying. So with the snow melting and the ski areas closing we head out on our first big trip at the end of the month. There are no hook ups where we will be so I decided to augment our power with a Renogy 100 solar suitcase, 20 amp MPPT controller and install a battery cut off switch. The tires are almost melted out and it's ready to pull! Take a look. The battery is a 27 and we have two propane tanks. I riveted the controller inside the box so it would be out of the weather and the solar cords will use the Zamp port. The cut off switch fit in the battery case, so I mounted it on top. Tell me what you think.
Hey M Mike, I can not figure out how to make the pics smaller. You can delete if this is taking too much .....space.  T

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What did you use to mount the spare on the frame?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    tmeistertmeister Member Posts: 4
    It was done before I bought it and I have not studied what was done. I think it took some work to get the tire and the battery case mounted and have the two propane tanks inside. It seems like it's just a U bolt around the front crank.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    Looks good, tmeister. Coincidentally I just spent part of the weekend installing the same group 27 box in my T@B (though mine is in the tub with a single propane tank). I'll also be incorporating the Renogy 100W kit adapted for the Zamp port, and the Blue Sea shutoff. I was going to mount the shutoff inside near the converter, but I like your arrangement with it right on the box. I just might do that instead.

We are also reformed tent campers, and this will be our second season with the T@B. Last year, we still managed several days of dry camping, despite a failing group 24 battery and no method for recharging. I'm thinking this setup will be more than adequate, provided you are a little conservative with power usage. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Looks good, @tmeister! Are you concerned about road water splashing up into the solar charger?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tmeistertmeister Member Posts: 4
    Jenn, I am not worried at all with the location of the controller, which, I am assuming you mean by "solar charger". It's up high and on the opposite side of where water might get in. The tanks might get some moisture but I guess I'll know more after a few trips. I really appreciate all the information you have posted here that has helped me get ready for our upcoming trips. It's been very helpful.
    Tory
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    tmeister, looks good! In NH, snow is now all gone.

I think you'll like that controller, looks like the same manufacturer as the one that came on our 2015 Roadtrek RV (yes, we still have our T@B, too). I've found that it will start charging (although not at full capacity) even before the sun hits it; it only has to be light out for that charger to begin its job. Apparently that MPPT technology really is an improvement.

We have 300W of panels on the roof, and those and the charger were all we had when the alternator charging system quit after cooking our coach batteries on  a cross-country trip last summer. The solar system worked very well, at least during the day!

As far as large pics, check the menu on your camera to see if there's a choice of a smaller format; might be listed as an "email" format.

Have fun with your T@B!
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    PS-- the mfr and model number on my controller are accurate (had to look them up and make that label)-- Beijing EPSOLAR Technology Co, Ltd apparently supplies a lot of those for private label distribution.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks like a great setup.  Golden for boondocking with the solar and extra propane tank.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have the Epsolar 2215 and it has worked well for me.  Added the MT-5 meter to see performance data in the comfort of the T@B (located near converter on left side bench).  Don't use the meter often, but came with my charger, and is nice to be able to check how things are going with the system.